Author Topic: A racing 428  (Read 13318 times)

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
A racing 428
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2011, 00:56:27 »
Trev.

Spot On !!  Was a great dice with the Turquois Porsche until Andy's exit at Druids.  So competitive,  Had every one standing on their seats.

Love to see a few photos. better still anyone capture those laps on video..[?].

Would be nice to see and hear the Black Stealth out on track again.
   Any chance re: ACOC GoodWood Sprint in November..[?]

Keith..[:p].

shep

• View Profile
A racing 428
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2011, 00:41:11 »
Ah yes Druids! I had two excursions at Druids. The one Trevor refers to was when the throttle stuck which caused a missed heart beat and some body work mods! The second one was when the carbon brakes glazed when I used the wrong method of warming them up on the green flag lap. On the first lap I dived up to Druids as usual, but when I hit the brake pedal, it was like a lump of solid wood. Result, more body work! I then learned that carbon discs require short sharp stabs on the pedal and not the smooth on and off style which is right for iron discs. Live and learn. Any photos of the 428 would be of great interest. Having looked at the GPG 4C accident at Goodwood, I have another tale to tell, but will post with that thread. Andy.

J Jones

• View Profile
A racing 428
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2011, 09:27:42 »
FOUND THIS OLD POST RE; ANDY'S CARBON CAR.
   Just wanted to keep this thread alive until photos get posted, and more information is forthcoming.

Posted September, 2006 by Shep:

What's going on out there? The Chinese Whisper rumour factory finds another gear! I seem to recall that the bucks for my 428 Frua carbon were made by Simon Ascoli when he was working for us at Uniclip Automotive. Steve Gray may have fettled the end result before the bucks went to have the body moulds cast to make the finished carbon body.
   The car was never banned from the ACOC Goodwood sprint, although it claimed Fastest Time of the Day on its first and only sprint appearance, on a streaming wet track! The Aston Martin Owners Club did however ban it from their Intermarque Championship along with Richard Chamberlain's rapid Porsche 935, Malcolm Hamilton's monster 8 litre E Type and the Silk Cut Jaguar driven by maestro Win Percy. We were all going far too fast and as skill could not beat us, legislation did! How sour can grapes taste?
   My Black 428 Frua is currently sitting in my garage. She weighs 1000kg with 650bhp from 428 extremely light cubic inches, and generates 1000kgs of downforce at 100mph. With the short circuit diff she runs out of revs at 170mph. I'd guess the way she is still pulling, a longer diff could allow 200mph if we knocked off some wing angle.
   While posting, I'm always happy to give AC drivers and racers the benefit of my many years race experience and love giving a few pointers on track days etc. Cars are built to be enjoyed and the more fun we can have, the better the world becomes!
   Andy Shepherd

shep

• View Profile
A racing 428
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2011, 23:17:40 »
Thanks J for remembering my previous post on the Black Car. I am going to try really hard to upload some photos, and thanks for your support! Andy.

Emmanueld

• View Profile
A racing 428
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2011, 19:36:37 »
Andy Hi,

You need to open a free account with let say "Photobucket.com" You will then upload your photos in Photobucket, they have instructions. All you have to do after that is to click once on the photo, a screen will appear and then you move your pointer to the box called IMG code at the bottom of the window. To then copy the link, go back to your edit window on this forum and right click on paste, thats it. Press enter to go to the next line and so on! Piece of cake! Sorry for the delay, I forgot about it.

Emmanuel[:)]

shep

• View Profile
A racing 428
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2011, 16:43:05 »
let's see if this works!

shep

• View Profile
A racing 428
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2011, 17:02:09 »
Thanks Emmanueld! I need to master the text, but the photo seems to have come through OK. You can get an idea of how damp the track was at Goodwood when I took it to the ACOC Sprint! We still made Fastest Time of the Day. I will try some more photos later. Andy.

J Jones

• View Profile
A racing 428
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2011, 17:23:44 »
!!!!! Yikes !!!!!
   BAD BOY !!!!
   (is there nowhere to run this fella?)

shep

• View Profile
A racing 428
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2011, 17:47:30 »
Watch out, I am still unsure quite how this is all working, but I have found a photo of my first effort to enable "Boris" to survive on a race track. This was back in October 1989 and the plan was to race at the Bentley Drivers Club meeting at Silverstone. The car still had a stock 3 speed auto box, and wire wheels shod with Dunlop M section Racing tyres. You can see the front air dam which made a huge difference to the cooling. Without it, the engine would overheat after 2 laps at over 120C. With the dam, it would run flat out and stay at 90-95C for the entire race. This gave substance to my theory that the bumper and nose split the airflow over and under the car, with little or nothing passing through the radiator. The dam stopped or reduced the flow under the car, and built up pressure at the radiator intake. As there was no air going under the car, the pressure there was reduced, and bingo the high pressure flowed through the radiator, and out under the car! The downside was the look, much like a Datsun 240Z.

Andy Shepherd testing AC 428 Frua "Boris" at Brands Hatch Oct 1989

J Jones

• View Profile
A racing 428
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2011, 18:16:09 »
Valuable information RE: air dam.
   Emmanuel and (subsquently) myself, added a very 'subtile' spoiler, which did seem to help a little. I suspect it was too 'subtile' to be truly effective. Luckily for me, mine is removeable, so I could try making another, more aggressive version. Mine was painted black, which made it disappear on my red car.
   What transmission did you use to replace the C6? Boris must have had a 2.88 differential. Did you change the diff gearing?

Classicus

• View Profile
A racing 428
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2011, 20:11:01 »
Wonderful picture of Boris Andy thanks....doesn't look as though there's any rust at all ?

shep

• View Profile
A racing 428
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2011, 23:32:37 »
Sadly that was back in 1989, that's 22 years ago!!!! The rust bubbled out on the tops of the wings in front of the windscreen. The lips on the wheel arches had already been replaced with what looked like Jaguar ones. They were rounded and not like the originals, and they were rusting badly. Boris was going down hill fast, and at the time (about 10 years ago) would have cost more to repair than Frua concours values. It was then that we decided to build a racecar which would make Cobras look slow, and the Black Car was born. The engine, gearbox and diff were all custom, and capable of handling 650 horses and 600 lbs/ft of torque, so the originals are all on the shelf. The gearbox is a 5 speed with 1:1 5th. The diff gives about 170mph at 7000 rpm, and it hit the rev limiter fairly easily on many of the longer straights. If I had continued development, I would have put in a longer 5th gear as 4th and 5th were too close anyway. I saw Big Al from Thunder Road today as he wanted some 428 parts, and he said he had been thinking about the Black Car recently. Maybe there is a case for putting the Band back together. We're 106 miles from Silverstone, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing our sunglasses.  Hit it!

J Jones

• View Profile
A racing 428
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2011, 04:33:58 »
"It was then that we decided to build a race car which would make Cobras look slow, and the Black Car was born"

Oh YES!

EXCELLENT! (I just want a GT that wipes the smirk off the faces of owners of other, more 'revered' ("popular") GT's of the period. The 428 should be able to do that easily)

GO, GO, GO!, Andy. Boris needs exercise!

(Emmanuel and I have TREMEC 5 speeds with a .82 fifth gear. I have a 3.32 differential. It's the original Salisbury rear end, with a change of gears)(I have been careful not to make any "Chemical" changes - though I really like the idea of lightweight body panels)

Classicus

• View Profile
A racing 428
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2011, 12:45:11 »
quote:
Originally posted by shep
   I saw Big Al from Thunder Road today as he wanted some 428 parts, and he said he had been thinking about the Black Car recently. Maybe there is a case for putting the Band back together. We're 106 miles from Silverstone, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing our sunglasses.  Hit it!

If this doesn't send values crazy nothing will ! [:D]

Emmanueld

• View Profile
A racing 428
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2011, 18:13:42 »
Shep, nice pictures, any under the hood and inside the car?

Emmanuel