Author Topic: A racing 428  (Read 13202 times)

Classicus

• View Profile
A racing 428
« on: September 09, 2011, 22:34:34 »
Whilst I know most of it will inevitably be way over my head, in plod motoring terms Andy how remote is your racing 428 to a an ordinary 428 because it looks as someone remarked at the AC meeting recently pretty fearsome ? Anything like Emmanuel's proposing ? [:D] [:D]

shep

• View Profile
A racing 428
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 02:02:52 »
Hi Paul,If it's fearsome to look at, then imagine what it's like to drive! About 10 years ago we decided to build a race car to win the AMOC Intermarque Challenge series of races here in the UK. I had previously raced my brother's Orange Cobra for many years in the series with great success, but the front runners were getting faster and I needed more horses to keep up. At the time we employed a guy called Simon Ascoli who had built the Lister Storm race cars, and he had some wild ideas for the 428 Frua. The chassis, roof and front and rear bulkheads needed to remain, but all other panels were replaced in Carbon Fibre. The suspension was changed to inboard horizontal springs and dampers operating through rockers, a la Lister Storm, and the engine changed to a dry sump 351 Ford, bored and stroked to 428 cu ins (7 litres). This block was smaller and lighter than the old FE, and could sit further back to give perfect 50:50 weight distribution. The aero pack came from an Audi TT DTM car with front splitter, flat floor, and rear diffuser, finished with a Lister Storm inspired rear wing. The car weighed exactly one tonne and we estimated the additional downforce at 100 mph would be close to another tonne. Power was about 650 bhp at 7000 rpm and we had AP Carbon discs and pads to bring it to a hault. Wheels were Dymags from a GT3 Porsche and uprights from a Harrier GT car. Unfortunately the year after it was finished the AMOC changed the rules to exclude the front running cars which was a real blow. I have raced it a few times in subsequent Special GT races and the ACOC Goodwood Sprint in the pouring rain!!!! I have not measured the 0-60, but it is the quickest thing I have ever driven (and that's saying something). Being slicks and wings, the faster you go, the more grip you have, which takes a leap of faith. If money was no object I would spend a few months developing its potential, but there are other bills which take priority. It starts on the button, and if someone twisted my arm, it could find a new home.

J Jones

• View Profile
A racing 428
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 07:14:47 »
I've seen some tiny pictures of your race car, Andy, including the largest (though still fairly tiny) in this forum.

It would interest me to see better photos, if you don't mind  publishing them. I'll search the website for information about your car - the carbon fibre panels are news to me. There has been much discussion about repairing body parts. If you were able to reproduce panels in carbon fibre, that's extremely interesting!

Performance info would be also welcome. If you were able to get the Frua's weight down to 2000 lbs, your car must be a rocket! I've wondered if there might be a handling benefit in the longer wheelbase of a Frua vs Cobra. Also, what aerodynamic improvement there might be in top speed of a (stock or modified)) Frua vs Cobra.

I had no idea you actually did all this to a 428. I might be the only one who knows nothing about it, though I hope not.

(oops - I discovered 1 tonne equals 1000 kilograms. So it's actually 2,240 pounds, not the same as a ton - 2,000 pounds)

shep

• View Profile
A racing 428
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 12:13:11 »
Two of the few things which are bigger on this side of the pond, tonnes and gallons! In any case 650bhp per tonne is exciting. If I can work out how to post photos on the forum, I have some action pics of my 428 in action which I will try to upload. I also scanned an article from the April 2003 edition of Cars and Cars Conversions Magazine which I could post. Some may ask why anyone would modify such a rare and beautiful car? At the time, prices of concours standard 428 Fruas had sat at 20 to 27,000 pounds for a decade or more, with no indication that was likely to change. This car had serious rust problems and I knew from restoration work we did on customers' cars, a proper job would cost 50k+ to complete. Being objective, it wasn't worth the pain. The arrival of Simon Ascoli opened the possibility of turning a liability into an asset. With the benefit of 20:20 hindsight it was not the best decision ever, but who knows where it will eventually lead? I still have the old steel panels and could restore the car to original spec at some time in the future. In the meantime I'll read up and see if I can upload some photos. Andy.

Classicus

• View Profile
A racing 428
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2011, 23:03:24 »
Very interesting thank you Andy, looking forward to the pics !! [:)]

cliffordl

• View Profile
A racing 428
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 10:56:39 »
The other known 428 racer is that of Tony Valenti. Perhaps not as radically developed as Andys. Classic Cars magazine listed the following info;

Lightweight panels, air dam, splitter, rear wing and rear plexi glass panels.
   Blueprinted Knight Racing 428 engine with TRW pistons, Corello rods, Edelbrock 427 heads, racing cam, Holley 750 carb, blueprinted C^ auto box.
   Stiffened suspension, 17in Hallibrand pegs drives.

0-100 9.5
   0-60 4.4

Regularly raced and used as an everyday road car!

See Maddox's excellent listing of all articles elsewhere on the forum for more info.

Emmanueld

• View Profile
A racing 428
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2011, 16:06:46 »
Sounds like a pretty quick car, read the review. The magazine made a mistake describing the engine mods. The heads are Edelbrock but not 427MR size with 76cc combustion chambers as  those would not work on a narrow bore 428 engine. Edelbrock makes a 428 version with 72cc chambers and Cobra Jet ports which will work with both 428 and 390 engines. Carillo rods are absolutely bullet proof but a bit heavy which is the reason why i selected Olivers, just a matter of personal preference.

Emmanuel[:)]

nikbj68

• View Profile
A racing 428
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2011, 21:54:28 »
Hey, Andy... is this somewhere you could take your beastie out to play?

Classicus

• View Profile
A racing 428
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2011, 22:29:08 »
Anyone know if it's possible to watch this sort of racing on a computer as I can't get near the tv these days ?

nikbj68

• View Profile
A racing 428
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2011, 00:49:38 »
It ain`t on the TV either, mate!

Emmanueld

• View Profile
A racing 428
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2011, 17:55:18 »
Andy, i wonder if your car could be raced in the US. There may be a category it could fit into, in vintage racing of course. IMSA maybe !

Emmanuel

shep

• View Profile
A racing 428
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2011, 18:39:37 »
There may be a racing category which would accept the 428. It is certainly worth a look. Has anyone got a copy of the instructions on how to post photos on the Forum, as I have drawn a blank so far, and have some photos which I'm sure you will like. Andy

Emmanueld

• View Profile
A racing 428
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2011, 18:55:03 »
You need to open a PhotoBucket account and the paste a link. I will post more detailed instructions tonight when I have more time.

Emmanuel

nikbj68

• View Profile
A racing 428
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2011, 01:02:01 »
quote:
Originally posted by shepHas anyone got a copy of the instructions on how to post photos on the Forum, Andy
Here you are, Sir, POSTING PHOTOS THREAD, 5th post down. [8D]
   Alternatively, email them to me and I will sort it out for you!!! [:D]

TLegate

• View Profile
A racing 428
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2011, 10:59:17 »
Andy - I recall watching your 428 compete in a round of the AMOC championship at Brands. You made a demon start and forgot to turn right at Druids!! Must check me files for incriminating photographic evidence....