Author Topic: BE 639 for sale on eBay  (Read 3287 times)

bex316

• View Profile
    • BEX316
BE 639 for sale on eBay
« on: September 05, 2011, 15:27:39 »
This Aceca project is currently for sale on eBay. Fitted with a Zephyr engine with Raymond Mays head replacing the original Bristol engine 100D 744 which was sold! I don't believe something like that would easily happen these days.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Other-Makes-C-Aceca-1958-Aceca-w-2-6-Zephyr-Engine-Mays-Head-Project-Car-/130572253092?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item1e66b677a4

Jerry

Aceca289

• View Profile
BE 639 for sale on eBay
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 06:58:42 »
This car is in the San Francisco Bay area, in Windsor (a few miles from where I live), and I got a chance to take a look at it before it hit e-bay. The owner’s father (John Lewis) was an ACOC member and was an avid vintage racer campaigning an ACE Bristol in the 70’s and 80’s around the tracks in Northern California (Sears Point, Laguna Seca…). Some of you might have known him, or remember reading some of the articles about his racing endeavors in Northern California that he wrote for ACtion in the 80’s. I was lucky enough to have met John a number of years ago, and he told me about this “project Aceca” said that the engine was dyno tested at 200hp (I was recently told it was 186 hp…in either case a significant amount of power for a 2.6 and worthy of vintage racing). Unfortunately, John passed away before he could see the project completed and there the car sat waiting for someone to finish it. This car also has some race history in the late 70’s and 80’s in California with the Bristol engine (see link http://www.acaceca.de.tl/BE-639.htm ).

It would be nice to see this Aceca back out on the Track (hopefully in California). This car is a worthy project begun by a knowledgeable ACOC member, and the parts list (see one of the photos on the e-bay listing) is impressive (going beyond the restoration itself) including new replacement windows (front and Rear). The owner(s) are very honest and up front about this car and I’m sure would be willing to entertain questions.

John
   AEX521

AEX566

• View Profile
BE 639 for sale on eBay
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 23:25:31 »
Sold for $35,121. John's description of what's included makes this appear a steal.  Will be interesting to see the Aceca finished and out on the track.

Aceca289

• View Profile
BE 639 for sale on eBay
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 21:31:02 »
It looks like this Aceca will be staying the SF bay area not too far from where it was sold. The new owner plans on restoring it, but has no plans on racing it. I had a good chat with him the other day and suggested that he look into membership with the AC Owners Club. It will be great to see (and hear) this Aceca back on the road!

John
   AEX521