Author Topic: Bristol 2 litre engine and gearbox for sale  (Read 5984 times)

Glen Smytheman

• View Profile
Bristol 2 litre engine and gearbox for sale
« on: August 14, 2011, 04:59:57 »
Sale includes all major items such as engine block (85 series, number 1279), head (85c, number 1857), sump, crankshaft, camshaft, conrods, pistons etc.  I believe that this engine was originally fitted to a Bristol 400 saloon.

The block has just had new liners fitted which are ready to bore for pistons. Block has been pressure tested and painted.

Also included is an approximately 75% complete Bristol gearbox (early non-overdrive model).

Treat all items (except the block) as requiring restoration/renovation.  Engine is approximately 75% complete and the block has already had the usual water jacket work completed.

I have a list of all items included detailed by Bristol part number that I can email/fax on request.  I can also email photos of the engine/gearbox.

I have a great local freight company that can pack and freight anywhere in the world at buyers expense at reasonable rates. Freight quotes are not a problem.

Price is New Zealand $7200 (approximately 3700 English pounds, US$6,000, Euros 4,200, Australian $5,800)

Contact Glen Smytheman as follows: Email: kiwiacebristol@hotmail.com phone/text/sms +64 274 924 251 (New Zealand is currently 11 hours ahead of GMT.

Its no problem if you want to view in person (or have someone look at it on your behalf - Rugby World Cup visitors most welcome!).  I am only 15 minutes from central Auckland and am happy to collect.

I look forward to hearing from anyone interested in the above.

Regards

Glen Smytheman

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 10:36:44 »
Just a quick note.

99% of   Bristol Engined Aces & Acecas left Thames Ditton with either Bristol 100D / 100D2, a dozen or so 100C2 and the odd 100B2.

The 85 Series Bristol engines were fitted to Bristol Cars and early BMW.  Not ACs ............However for aesthetics, Better than some hybred and still expensive to rebuild.

The overdrive unit is a seperate unit not part of the gearbox.

Not trying to put people off, just making them aware before investing serious money on a rebuild/ project.

Keith..[B)]

Glen Smytheman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 12:01:09 »
Thanks for that Kieth.  Its been a few years since we spoke when I was living in London.  Its only a shame that we couldn't sew together that deal in the US for 2 Aces and an Aceca for US$45k!  Would have outperformed any pension fund in recent years I am certain.

The other thing I was thinking of is someone who wanted to retain their original engine as a spare, and use another block in their car.  Just a thought.

Forgot to say sale proceeds will be going to a good home being the renovation/restoration of my Ace Bristol.  The overdrive gearbox is out (ouch - when drained the first teaspoon of liquid was water!).  I have received a box of suspension bushes/pins new shocks, disc rotors etc from Brian Eacott (very helpful and a real nice guy).  New wheels and tyres are also on the boat heading down under (so they are back manufacturing the Michellin X tyres for the Ace when supply seemed to dry up for a few months).

Plans is to have the car back on the road in October - in preparation for a father/son "road trip" down to the bottom of the South Island next Feb with my son who will then be four - I missed out on completing this trip with the UK Bristol Owners Club as he had just been born so it seems appropriate.

Safe mototing all

Glen