Author Topic: CF62 for sale on Ebay  (Read 22652 times)

ANF289

• View Profile
CF62 for sale on Ebay
« on: August 04, 2011, 20:50:50 »
See: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1968-AC-428-FRUA-CF62-RARE-Cobra-427-Chassis-/230655340665?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item35b4213079

1968 AC 428 FRUA CF62 RARE Cobra 427 Chassis
   Item Location:   Pensacola, FL, United States
   Price:   US $130,000.00

J Jones

• View Profile
CF62 for sale on Ebay
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 01:21:52 »
I discussed this car with Emmanuel, who suspects it's "as rotten as a pear" underneath. (He should know vis-a-vis his own experience). The jacking points are missing in the rocker panels. The bonnet doesn't fit very well (it's been modified, but that wouldn't account for it). Missing the front bumper, and the door gaps are uneven. Rear bumper is pieced together badly. It certainly is not a 1968 car - maybe 1970-71. Or 1972. Chassis number and interior makes this a later car.
   Sunroof is a nice touch though.
   This car needs a close inspection by someone with a good deal of familiarity with 428's, and a strong magnet.
   Or very deep pockets.

Emmanueld

• View Profile
CF62 for sale on Ebay
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 17:11:39 »
Furthermore, wing edges look very thin which is a sure sign of massive body filler around the wheel openings.  I have asked the dealer listing it for more photos. As Jeffrey said, I strongly advise on a thorough inspection before buying.

Spoke to the dealer yesterday, he said a few people are interested, told me the car was in very good condition which does not seem too likely looking at the photos posted. He said he would Email me more photos, I requested from the undercarriage and the wing lips, we will see. The good part is that the car seems to be complete with the exception of the front bumper. So at the right price this could be a nice restoration project! The question is, what is the right price these days?

Emmanuel[:)]

Emmanueld

• View Profile
CF62 for sale on Ebay
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2011, 21:14:47 »
Car just sold for $95K, If the chassis is straight and the car was repaired professionally then it is a good buy!

http://www.acownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=217&whichpage=2

http://www.collectorcarads.com/AC-428-Frua/4117

You know what, upon looking at the photos again on my big screen, none of the panels are straight, even the boot lid protrudes more on one side that the other, the lines on the side are not straight. This car is just terrible, good for parts. The guy paid too much. I feel bad for him. But you know as they say, buyer be aware. In this case, I hope it's a dead beet.

J Jones

• View Profile
CF62 for sale on Ebay
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2011, 01:51:33 »
"I hope it's a dead Beet"?
   Is that a French expression, Emmanuel?

Emmanueld

• View Profile
CF62 for sale on Ebay
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2011, 15:42:33 »
Oh I meant "Deadbeat"  I am just a foreigner!

Emmanuel[:D]

Emmanueld

• View Profile
CF62 for sale on Ebay
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 21:36:50 »

J Jones

• View Profile
CF62 for sale on Ebay
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2011, 00:11:13 »
I do hope someone buys it and loves it "right".

Who knows? The armchair speculation this car has been subject to is not based on actual inspection of the car as it is now.

Buying a car on Ebay can be very dicey. I think it's very rare for an excellent, no problems car to be offered via Ebay. Especially a car as rare and (potentially) expensive as this car. It's certainly worth a considerable amount, even if it has needs as drastic as the speculation would have it seem. It's largely complete, it seems.

I wonder how long the engine mount has been broken? Might it be as far back as the late 1970's?

Classicus

• View Profile
CF62 for sale on Ebay
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2011, 11:49:26 »
quote:
Originally posted by J Jones
   ....The armchair speculation this car has been subject to is not based on actual inspection of the car as it is now.

Pity the car's not closer to take a good close look beforehand....

lyonheart84

• View Profile
CF62 for sale on Ebay
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2011, 22:36:33 »
Hi everyone, just got back from a great vacation. I seem to remember reading on the forum somewhere previously ( or perhaps it was on the 428 register itself ) that this car allegedly had at some time in the past had a very major accident? That would explain the terrible panel fit everywhere and the missing bumpers? Only allegedly as it could always be incorrect rumour.

lyonheart84

• View Profile
CF62 for sale on Ebay
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2011, 22:49:22 »
Just read the other threads now mentioning this car and looked at the photos, no wonder the first buyer pulled out, looks like a lot of work and expense to put right, lucky she wasn't turned into a Cobra !

Emmanueld

• View Profile
CF62 for sale on Ebay
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2011, 17:43:47 »
Welcome back! CF62 back again on the internet! This time offered for sale by the original owner, how funny! Also, they are saying it was originally blue. Any reference to CF62 is now absent! [:D]

http://www.carbuzz.com/news/2011/8/20/Unique-of-the-Week-1971-AC-428-Frua-Fastback-7704373/

Be aware of what you see on the Internet, it should be taken with a grain of salt! By all mean, CF62 should find a good home but the seller should disclose everything about the car's history and an educated buyer will buy it, maybe not for top $.

Emmanuel [:D]

Classicus

• View Profile
CF62 for sale on Ebay
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2011, 18:25:52 »
I seem to remember the name of Mike McCluskey being mentioned in relation to CF 62 (sleeving ?) but now can't find it. However in the interests of preserving all remaining 428s and to definitely avoid the risk of it being sold cheap and made into yet another "Cobra", is this the sort of project he might be tempted into buying as it would be great if he could take detailed pics of its full restoration, if needed, for future reference by all other 428 owners ?

nikbj68

• View Profile
CF62 for sale on Ebay
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2011, 18:32:46 »
I think they have hit and exceeded the cut-off value for Cobra chopping now (finally)!

Emmanueld

• View Profile
CF62 for sale on Ebay
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2011, 18:48:11 »
Actually, I was there Yesterday and mentioned the car. As I said before, the amount of work to straighten the chassis would be huge and would involve lifting the body from the car if there is a bend between the firewall and rear axle. The chassis is so massive that it is very hard to make straight. Of course, I am sure, they would tackle the project providing somebody purchase the car and finance the restoration!