Author Topic: Fuel Pump  (Read 11774 times)

ak1234

• View Profile
Fuel Pump
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2011, 23:48:07 »
.... ok so i changed the filters and hoses, but still no luck.  What I did find out is there is no #20 fues in the fuse box ..its an inline fusible link ... it comes off the acessory post on the start solenoid.  That post never gets power ?  Is it supposed to have power when the key is turned ?  or jsut when turned to crank ?  I did switch around the relay ... but still no sucess.

Is it possible the starter solenoid is bad ?

Ron

ak1234

• View Profile
Fuel Pump
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2011, 01:48:34 »
Does any one have the woring diagram for the Fuel Injection version ...possibly in a PDF format or even a TIF file ..

Ron

cobham cobra

• View Profile
Fuel Pump
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2011, 14:41:50 »
On a separate point to your fuel problem. Yes the starter solenoid can give problems. I believe it’s sourced from a Mini and is just not up to the job. I had my one changed for a Mustang unit. It’s also worth checking the quality of the connection from the battery isolator to the solenoid as it looked good on my car, but when the connection was undone there were not many strands of wire making contact.
   Another reason for considering a better solenoid is because “if” they go wrong they can force the starter to have continual engagement with the flywheel. This has happened to me and at least one other owner. The first I knew it had happened was upon returning from a drive and smelling and hearing a very hot and unhappy starter motor spinning like crazy.

jbottini

• View Profile
Fuel Pump
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2011, 14:51:52 »
Ron, as the car used to start,I assume ; as it has miles on it, it is properly wired. Does the fuel pump pressurize system; by several "clicks or ticks" then stop when turning key to first position? When the key is then turned to start does engine turn over, but not start? Jim

ak1234

• View Profile
Fuel Pump
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2011, 02:50:07 »
Jim,

I turn the key and nothing happens, no clicking, no hum from the pump, nothing.  I swapped around the relay for the pump its good, I noticed a 20 amp inline fusible link which I think is what refered to in the EFI wiring diagram ... didnt replace it yet ...because it connects to the secondary post on the solenoid which is located in the passenger foot box and that post never seems to have power.... but of course the center post does .. which goes directly to the pos side of the battery.  I checked power at the pump when the key is turned..nothing.   I'm thinking the starter solenoid is bad ?

Thanks for the help ... Ron

ak1234

• View Profile
Fuel Pump
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2011, 02:54:34 »
COBHAM ... thanks for the input ... it think your correct its the solenoid .. I had the same problem on a company vehicle and we changed 2 starters and it turned out to be the battery cable connector was corroded ... I will change both .. thanks Ron

French Frie

• View Profile
Fuel Pump
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2011, 10:51:27 »
I do not know if it can be of any help, but here's a thread on a Mustang forum that explains quite well how the pump/relay work:
   http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=110487&highlight=1986

HTH

ak1234

• View Profile
Fuel Pump
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2012, 02:38:12 »
OK ... I know its been a while but I made progress.  The ground to the solenoid mounting bolt was loose which prevented the motor from turning over, I replaced the existing LUCAS 4ST 4 terminal solenoid with a std ford part and now the motor turns over but still don't start ..no fuel the pump gets power when I turn the key .. but the pump doesn't engage.  So I removed the pump Bosch Part # 9 580 810 006 which seems to cross reference to a 9 580 254 984 ... and now I will go to the Auto Parts store and get the new pump.

Ron

ak1234

• View Profile
Fuel Pump
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2012, 02:40:48 »
...... i searched everywhere and cant find the damn pump and solenoid in the states  ?  Anyone have a source in the US ?

Ron

jbottini

• View Profile
Fuel Pump
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2012, 16:12:28 »
Ron, is the pump sending fuel to FI?

ak1234

• View Profile
Fuel Pump
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2012, 20:05:54 »
...the pump was seized ... i removed it took it apart and you can see it was in one position for a long time ... so I put it back together and it works ..but I;m not comfortable with re crimping the pump with RFI where it runs at a high pressure ... so a new pump is in order.

Ron

jbottini

• View Profile
Fuel Pump
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2012, 23:12:09 »
Best plan!

ak1234

• View Profile
Fuel Pump
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2012, 23:52:56 »
... hit a road block the BOSCH pump 9-580-810-006 is not the same diameter as the replacement 9-580-254-984 ... there for dont fit in the bracket mounting ... I have to Call BOSCH tomorrow.  I also cant find the GPM and Pressure of the stock pump to compare it to ?  Not good Spring is coming.

Ron

westcott

• View Profile
Fuel Pump
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2012, 10:40:01 »
A bit late but maybe helpful, for my last EFI projects I used to order fuel pumps and all needed hardware directly from WALBRO.

Here the sides for intank and inline use: www.walbrofuelpumps.com    www.inlinefuelpumps.com/ the dimension for the inlines are found here: http://www.fuel-pumps.net/500.html

Westcott
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler!

SB7019

• View Profile
Fuel Pump
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2012, 23:12:51 »
The Walbro 255lph pump has recently been fitted to my car.  When wrapped in some dense foam it fits into the same mounting as the original pump.  Let me know if you would like me to e mail some photos of the installation.