Author Topic: Fuel Pump  (Read 11769 times)

ak1234

• View Profile
Fuel Pump
« on: July 17, 2011, 03:06:41 »
On my 1988 MKVI where is the fuel pump located.  My car has 9k miles on it and has been sitting for a few years I wne to start it and started and ran no problem ... the next day went to start it and now it jsut cranks ...

Ron

ak1234

• View Profile
Fuel Pump
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 00:56:21 »
...... no one knows where the fuel pump is located ?  hmmm now if they only had a manual for this car life would be much easier.

Ron

SB7019

• View Profile
Fuel Pump
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 10:26:17 »
On later cars the fuel pump is located on a bracket just to the left side of the differential.   It is a standard Mustang one.  Will e mail a picture to you.   Not sure if the same applies to earlier cars?

jbottini

• View Profile
Fuel Pump
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 11:18:18 »
that is where it is on most MK IVs  while you are there, please change all rubber fuel line pieces>

bobbylangley

• View Profile
Fuel Pump
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 18:24:25 »
Yes! The fuel line on mine was overlong so was just folded in half, restricting the amount of fuel and eventually it just split, pouring fuel out over the exit to Brooklands Motor Circuit and stranding me. A very kind RAC man replaced it for me against the RAC rules on fuel line repairs at the roadside.

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
Fuel Pump
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 19:29:14 »
Wow, lucky it did not spray over your exhaust!!!

Gus

ak1234

• View Profile
Fuel Pump
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2011, 03:22:53 »
Ok so its an inline under the car near the center differential ..damn after I took the bulkhead behind the seats and trunk carpet off ...

But thank Gentslet me see now if I can get her running and try to enjoy the car after sitting sonce 2005.

Again Thanks
   Ron

ak1234

• View Profile
Fuel Pump
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2011, 22:17:00 »
Ok so I finally got around to jacking the car up and inspecting the fuel pump ... checked for power and nothing ... with the key ON the pump should have power ....right?  Then I refered to the OWNER MANUAL and it doenst mention anything about a ELECTRIC FUEL PUMP ... the wiring diagram also mentions nothing about an electric fuel pump ?

Any help would be greatly apreciated

Ron

Superarnie Mk2

• View Profile
Fuel Pump
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2011, 00:11:14 »
The Superblowers were fitted with a Lucas Pump- Pt. No. FDB700. That same pump was fitted to older Land Rovers as well. Not sure if that same pump was fitted to the Mk4's though.

Below is an image of the pump- not the best, it may help to identify if yours is the same.

Regards
   Gary

ANF289

• View Profile
Fuel Pump
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2011, 02:02:14 »
quote:
Originally posted by ak1234

Ok so I finally got around to jacking the car up and inspecting the fuel pump ... checked for power and nothing ... with the key ON the pump should have power ....right?  Then I refered to the OWNER MANUAL and it doenst mention anything about a ELECTRIC FUEL PUMP ... the wiring diagram also mentions nothing about an electric fuel pump ?

Ron

Ron,

Take left rear wheel off and you will see the electric fuel pump attached to the rear bulk head just right of the C clamp on the exhaust pipe(1st pic).  2nd pic shows close-up of mounting bracket, and 3rd pic shows pump head with wiring.

There are 2 filters on fuel injected cars: a 20 micron Fuel Filter (NAPA 3012) at the tank outlet and a 3-10 micron Fuel filter (NAPA 3097) located opposite from the fuel pump on the passenger side.  Clogged filters can stop your pump. Changing them may solve your problem, otherwise the pump may have died.

Fuel Line Flow Diagram: Gas Tank - 2” fuel hose - 20u Fuel filter - 10” fuel hose - copper tube (runs width of bulkhead) - 3” fuel hose - 3-10u Fuel filter - 14” fuel hose - copper tube (runs width of bulkhead)  - 12” fuel hose - Fuel Pump - 10” fuel hose - copper tube - Engine.

To change filters:

1)Siphon gas from tank.
   2)Clamp hose descending from In-line 20 micron Fuel Filter (NAPA 3012) @ tank outlet, detach hose at copper tube, and drain remaining gas into gas container.
   3)Detach fuel hose from 3-10 micron Fuel filter (NAPA 3097) and drain remaining gas into container.  (Here's a good point to remove and test pump.)
   4)Replace filters and all old hoses [NAPA 4219LC Fuel Hose PCV/EEC 5/16 inch (8 mm)]
   5)Refill gas tank.

Note that fuel injected cars use high-pressure hoses downstream from the pump

Art

ak1234

• View Profile
Fuel Pump
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2011, 03:24:00 »
ANF289

Many thanks ... and thats exactly what I have on my car ... but I;m not sure we have gotten to that point yet.

I do notice in your pictures ...you have a red wire bypassing the plug ?

Quick question?  should the pump have power when the key is on ?  Is there a fuse or a relay in the fuse panel ?  Which relay or fuse operates the pump.

While I;m down here working on this pump .. I;m going to replace some of this rubber hose and clamps .. but what really troubles me is the use of COPPER TUBING.

Anyway before ripping this car part .. I need to trouble shoot the electric ... but the owners manual doesnt show any electric to the fuel pump ... i did notice there is an extra ice cuber relay in the fuse box.

R

ANF289

• View Profile
Fuel Pump
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2011, 05:48:42 »
quote:

ANF289

Many thanks ... and thats exactly what I have on my car ... but I;m not sure we have gotten to that point yet.

I do notice in your pictures ...you have a red wire bypassing the plug ?

Quick question?  should the pump have power when the key is on ?  Is there a fuse or a relay in the fuse panel ?  Which relay or fuse operates the pump.

While I;m down here working on this pump .. I;m going to replace some of this rubber hose and clamps .. but what really troubles me is the use of COPPER TUBING.

Anyway before ripping this car part .. I need to trouble shoot the electric ... but the owners manual doesnt show any electric to the fuel pump ... i did notice there is an extra ice cuber relay in the fuse box.

R

Ron,

My pump has power when the key is on.  However, the previous owner put a TEC3-r engine control system in the car, and I assume that explains the red wire bypassing the plug.  Fortunately I haven’t had a reason to explore the wiring.

You are correct, my Owner’s Handbook (like yours)appears to be for an earlier carbureted car, and not a fuel injected 302.  The diagram on p. 29 clearly shows an air cleaner for a carburetor.  There is no mention of wiring for a fuel pump (I assume the carbureted cars have a mechanical pump).  What’s interesting is that the Mk IV Owners Handbook posted at: http://rides.webshots.com/album/31597373CwUCdBYNFd shows a fuel injected engine on p. 29, and refers to a fuel pump (#22), a fuel pump relay (RY1), and a fuel pump fuse (#20, 20A).  Apparently the factory was a little late in getting their handbooks up-dated.  The copper tubing is a whole different story!

Art

dkp_cobra

• View Profile
Fuel Pump
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2011, 09:52:35 »
quote:

Ron

Hi Ron,

a fuel pump should be driven by a special fuel-pump relay which is triggered by the ignition coil (!). The normal behaviour is that ignition is switched on (not started so far) the pump begins to run and after one or two second the fuel pump is switched off. During engine running the fuel pump is switched on of course.

The idea is that in a case of an accident and if the engine is stopped but the ignition is switched on no fuel is pumped into the hot engine bay.

Nevertheless, this start behaviour (start pumping and stopping if engine is not started) depends on your ignition system. I switched to a MSD 6AL ignition box and the fuel pump relay did start only when the engine was running. After inserting a further MSD sub-box for this special purpose the fuel-pump relay starts and stops again. You can use this signal also for old electrical tachometer.

But I really don't know whether you have a fuel pump relay in your car. In the owners handbook I found a fuel-pump relay in the wiring diagram.

Best regards,

Peter

jbottini

• View Profile
Fuel Pump
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2011, 17:37:22 »
Mine was set up on AK1113 so that when key was turned to " on" position fuel pump would pressurize sysyem and stop. Then I turn key to start and all is good. This was the same on CSX3327 as well as it had an electric fuel pump.

ak1234

• View Profile
Fuel Pump
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2011, 01:54:46 »
.. looked around the local auto stores and no one has the filters so i ordered on line ... ANF289 or Anyone else ... would you happen to have the Pump Part # ?  Also the part # of the little silver relays?

Thanks Again for everyones help.

R