Author Topic: 1966 Registration??  (Read 10489 times)

Chafford

• View Profile
1966 Registration??
« on: July 16, 2011, 10:17:54 »
Deleted

shep

• View Profile
1966 Registration??
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 21:30:19 »
Search me! Surely if everyone is honest, it MUST be a 2006 car. Sure the owner could transfer a period registration number, and if he be cheeky enough fit black and silver plates. The danger is that PC Plod can pull him over and make life difficult. 1966...... Never!

terry3000me

• View Profile
1966 Registration??
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2011, 23:25:51 »
I asked the same question, suggest you contact the Cobra Registrar who provided a comprehensive response to me.
   Terry

jrlucke

• View Profile
1966 Registration??
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 01:34:20 »
From Wikipedia: "From the late 1980s onwards, Carroll Shelby (Shelby Automobiles, Inc.) and associated companies have built what are known in the hobby as "Continuation Cars"; Shelby authorized continuations of the original AC-bodied Shelby Cobra series. Produced in Las Vegas, Nevada, these cars retain the general style and appearance of their original 1960s ancestors, but are fitted with modern amenities. Initially the car everyone wanted in a Continuation was a 427 S/C model which was represented in the CSX4000 series. This was meant to continue where the last 427 S/C production left off, at approximately serial number CSX3560 in the 1960s.

The initial CSX4000 series cars were completed from some suposedly left over 1960's chassis new old stock as well as newly manufactured parts. However, all chassis that left AC's are accounted for in their records and there was not a batch left over! Given the value of the vehicle many "extra" cars have appeared over the years, even some sharing the same chassis number. Gradually as the vintage parts supply ran low, newly constructed frames and body panels were obtained from a variety of suppliers. The production of chassis numbers CSX4001 to CSX4999 took roughly 20 years and many different business relationships to complete."

That is consistent with my recollection as to how the "continuation" series came about. Since they were 1960's vintage chassis they were titled as such.

John

rstainer

• View Profile
1966 Registration??
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 16:18:25 »
The car canot be legally registered as a 1966 car in the UK as there was no 'original' (COX 3361) vehicle.

The answer to the original question, as with many questions of vehicle paperwork, is that it's registered in Belgium, which is one up on Panama. What it is registered as I do not know.

It didn't sell.

SB7015

• View Profile
1966 Registration??
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2011, 23:31:36 »
The Coy's estimate for this car was £180-200,000 but only reached a best bid of £100,000 probably from a Blenheim angel!

Mileage quoted as 365 actually 436.

Strange how these auction houses continually misrepresent!

aaron

• View Profile
1966 Registration??
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2011, 22:50:04 »
Originally posted by Chafford

Can someone explain to me how this 2006 427 continuation car could be registered as a 1966 car?

Are the manufactures getting away with registering these cars as 1966 cars due to them being built to 1960`s spec cars ?

rstainer

• View Profile
1966 Registration??
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 16:47:16 »
See my answer above.

bobbylangley

• View Profile
1966 Registration??
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2011, 18:17:27 »
About 4 years ago on the Lavant Bank at the Goodwood Revival a chap had a Cobra he'd got from Shelby in the States and it was registered as a tax exempt 1966 car though was patently brand new...

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
1966 Registration??
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2011, 19:27:45 »
some states in the US have adopted a law that was drafted by SEMA (specialty equipment manufacturers association) SEMA represents the roughly 30 billion dollar aftermarket equipment manufacturers market.

These states have either passed the law in it's entirety or modified it, but essentially it allows a person to title a car in the year it represents: ie a 1932 Ford Deuce hotrod, built in 2011 represents a 1932 car and can therefore be titled as such. The title allows only limited use on the vehicle, just as one would expect from an owner driving his classic on a limited basis.

If the Cobra was obtained in the US, it could be it was already titled here as a 1966 and that the title simply transferred when imported into the UK.

Gus

A-Snake

• View Profile
1966 Registration??
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2011, 23:46:35 »
quote:
Originally posted by Gus Meyjes

some states in the US have adopted a law that was drafted by SEMA (specialty equipment manufacturers association) SEMA represents the roughly 30 billion dollar aftermarket equipment manufacturers market.

These states have either passed the law in it's entirety or modified it, but essentially it allows a person to title a car in the year it represents: ie a 1932 Ford Deuce hotrod, built in 2011 represents a 1932 car and can therefore be titled as such. The title allows only limited use on the vehicle, just as one would expect from an owner driving his classic on a limited basis.

If the Cobra was obtained in the US, it could be it was already titled here as a 1966 and that the title simply transferred when imported into the UK.

Gus

I believe you mean register (license) the vehicle. The title will most likely read something like 'special construction'. Shelby has to market the new Kobras as component vehicles thus he lists them as 1965 models.
   This way the police would know they are looking for something that looks like a '32 Ford instead of a 2008 Ford [;)]

"but essentially it allows a person to REGISTER a car in the year it represents: ie a 1932 Ford Deuce hotrod, built in 2011 represents a 1932 car and can therefore be REGISTERED as such."

koen

• View Profile
1966 Registration??
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2011, 22:54:33 »
We bought this car from Brooklands Motor Company, and it is indeed a 1966 AC Cobra 427. This car even has FIA papers, and is the last car
   built at the Frimley factory. It is a proper AC, and it has a correct british V5. It is not registered in Belgium and it never was
   before.
   If you have any questions about COX3361, please email me or Steve Gray, so you get correct information about this fantastic machine.
   We are real AC enthousiasts, and beside the MkIVs we sold or have in stock, we are really proud to have this 427 in our showroom as well.

Koen Poschet
   Albion Motorcars

CRS9505

• View Profile
1966 Registration??
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2011, 23:07:46 »
Maybe this will throw some light on the European registration of brand new "1960s" registered Cobras - from the "Classic Cars for Sale" site
   http://www.classiccarsforsale.co.uk/classic-car-page.php/carno/144175

"The car we are proud to offer is a Cobra 427 S/C built by Shelby with a fiberglass body. The engine is a full aluminium Shelby 427 with aluminium heads, forged cranshaft, Holley carbs, that has been dynoed at 500 HP. The gearbox is thevery user-friendly 5-speed Tremec. This car has just been sorted and has never been driven apart from the setup. It is a brand new car available immediately. Why wait two years for your custom built car, when you can have this Cobra now !"As a Shelby, the car is registered as a 1965 with an original VIN, and is delivered with a manufacturer's statement of origin from Shelby, certifying the car is a 1965 model. This is truly unique in the Cobra world, as only the CSX6000s are delivered with a COC, a VIN compliant with the original ones, and can thus be registered in Europe (including France) as 1965 Shelby Cobra. And as a Shelby built Cobra, the car is listed in the Shelby registry.This stunning Cobra is now available in France with its French registration.
   So there you have it, a genuine certified 1965 fibreglass cobra!

rstainer

• View Profile
1966 Registration??
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2011, 16:07:10 »
RE COX 3361, CLAIMING TO BE A ‘1966 AC Cobra 427’

Period (1962-69) Cobras are exceptionally well documented, both by the ACOC and the SAAC. Both clubs have operated Cobra registers for over 30 years and the information in both registers is consistent, both registrars cooperating very closely.

COX 3361 is not a 1966 AC Cobra 427:
   1.   Neither the ACOC nor the SAAC record it as a period Cobra.
   2.   COX 3361 is not recorded in the AC Factory Ledger. (Several copies of AC’s Factory Ledger are in frequent use, and a transcript of the entire Cobra section has been published by Haynes (ISBN 85960 849 3).)
   3.   In period, AC never issued a ‘COX 3361’ car number for an AC 427 or any other AC vehicle.
   4.   The vehicle cannot have a ‘correct British V5’ recording it as a 1966 vehicle. If Koen Poschet emails me an image of the car’s V5 (rstainer@radcothouse.co.uk) I will advise him how the V5 does not accord with DVLA requirements.

Robin Stainer
   ACOC Thames Ditton Cobra Registrar

rstainer

• View Profile
1966 Registration??
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2011, 19:38:11 »
Chafford,

I address Koen Poschets post: “it is indeed a 1966 AC Cobra 427”.

Let him reply to it, rather than introduce material irrelevant to the statement he makes.

Please also desist in posting advertising material on our website.
   Non-members who do not exercise restraint may lose the opportunity to participate in the ACOC’s forum.

Robin Stainer