Author Topic: Ace parts needed  (Read 2890 times)

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
Ace parts needed
« on: July 12, 2011, 15:41:28 »
Does anyone know of or has an Ace/Aceca steering hub with or without upper steering column for sale?

Is this a part that was used by other manufacturers? Is it available in the aftermarket?

Thanks,

Gus

aex125

• View Profile
Ace parts needed
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 05:20:45 »
Gus,
   I bought a steering hub assembly from Moss motors that I have on 1078. The spline is a direct fit, but the tightening collar is different from the Ace. Not sure what steering wheel you have, but the Moss hub has 9 screws for mounting the wheel, so if you have 6, it may not work. If you need one, I can take a pic and send it.

Jay

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
Ace parts needed
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 12:50:09 »
Thank Jay,

I did look at Moss, but could not find the specific parts. Would you have the part numbers?

Thanks,

Gus

aex125

• View Profile
Ace parts needed
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 15:41:53 »
They have 2 versions
   454-298 which is for an adjustable column
   454-347 which is for a Non-Adj column
   I believe I bought the Adj column version.
   Jay

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
Ace parts needed
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 15:49:51 »
Jay,

Thanks a million!

Gus

mike m

• View Profile
Ace parts needed
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 17:19:39 »
Hi Gus,
   My Aceca came with it's original steering wheel fitted, also a new correct style Moto Lita wheel and a Moss boss. I decided to fit the new wheel and retain the original for later refit if required. An excellent method of fitting was thought out, some RM series Rileys use the same spline and bluemells nut fitting as the Ace/Aceca. I managed to cut clear the unwanted Riley rim and spokes from the hub and graft on the new Moto Lita unit. Fairly straightforward turning job and then pillar drill and tap the 6 mounting bolt holes. The original horn/indicator switch is retained as the Riley hub is very similar in that area. It is a slow job but the end result is very good. How many RM Rileys out of  the 20,000 or so made 1946/53 found their way over the pond?

Mike.