Author Topic: aceca over riders  (Read 6945 times)

lew

• View Profile
aceca over riders
« on: July 08, 2011, 10:20:04 »
can anyone perhaps confirm that Aceca bumper over riders were from a Ford prefect E93a puddle jumper circa 48/53

Thanks

Lew

tim isles

• View Profile
aceca over riders
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 16:13:32 »
Lew,

I don't think it was a Ford - popular rumour was that a Standard 10 used them, but any 'NOS' items haven't, to my knowledge, surfaced for years. Brasscraft make very good copies.

Tim

lew

• View Profile
aceca over riders
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 10:45:36 »
Tks Tim,
   I have two of what i THINK are original ones.If you go to site that is called "small ford spares" and look up their various over riders the ones for a puddle jumper match what i have.These are freely available.Of course there is nothing to say mine are correct, but they do look the same as in Rinsley Mills's book.
   Thanks for the tip I will investigate your suggestion and try to revert to the forum as others might also be searching

Lew

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
aceca over riders
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2011, 11:36:40 »
Lew

Can you post a picture of your Overrider /s..[?]

Ten years ago when I was looking for a pair of overiders for BEX333, I was informed that The Ford Side Vale club / Ford Prefect club ? had the same or very similar overriders. And had a batch or two made, not sure of quality or if they were cast or pressed.

The Standard 8 & 10 overriders are definitely the same as supplied to AC Cars in the 1950's.  Might be worth checking the Standard Owners Club too see if they have had good quality batch made or even have NOS units or good Second Hand units available to club members or enthusiasts.  (caution.... If you say they are for a AC the price could well double)..[V].

Never did  follow up as I located two from club members.

The shape could well be the same but thickness of casting or pressing could be different, Which ever ... they save your Ali bodywork when leaving your Ace / Aceca  innocently parked on the road or in a public carpark.

Good luck with your research,  keep every one informed, As you are one of many looking for the odd one or even  a full set of 4.

Keith  ..[:)]..[:)]

lew

• View Profile
aceca over riders
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2011, 17:10:44 »
Keith,
   This posting of pics is WAY past my computing skills!!!!!!
   What I will do is e a pic to you and if you would be so kind to post it for me.I will include some before and afters of the paint job on AE547
   I am busy at the moment bending up 2 sets of Aceca bumpers,one for me and one for Bruce Glasby in Zim who also has an Aceca Bristol. They wont be perfectly correct as regards end radius etc but the object of the exercise is to prevent body damage
   Perhaps overriders were made by "outside" contractors and thus are the same on a few cars?

Lew

tim isles

• View Profile
aceca over riders
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2011, 17:49:37 »
Lew,

Just looked on the site - very interesting. The E93A over rider featured certainly looks very similar. If you do buy from them I'd be very interested to know if they are one and the same - they are cheaper than other suppliers too!

I think Ace and Aceca over riders were one and the same, so these would do for both cars. (If you specified the wrap round tubular bumpers then the bumper irons were a different type and extended away from the body front and rear by a couple of inches so that the tubes could clear the body, but I'm sure the over rider remained the same.)

Tim

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
aceca over riders
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 00:46:48 »
Lew

Further to our recent exchange of email, Mike Mansergh has emailed the following which hopefully answers some of your questions.

Mike emailed the following:-

Hi Keith,

Been out and measured AE715 bumper tube diameter at 1.125” (28.5 mm), these tubes as you may recall are Stainless steel ex owners club so are not actually original but I suspect are correct. As for the over riders, mine are all 9.5” tall by 2.28” wide at maximum. (242 mm x 58mm) The tubes bolt up tight to the front edge of the cutout in the over rider with the tube centre line in line with the rear edge of the over rider. But the actual cutout starts as a 3” (75mm) opening. Hope all this makes sense! I can take a couple of pics later if required. I always understood that they were from Standard 10 but I may be wrong! I’ll let you forward to Lew if you think this info is good enough.  I will also make notes next time I am near a good original Standard 10 to qualify...[;)]

Best regards

Mike..[;)].. [;)]

Lew...  If you need any  pictures or additional data. Let Mike or I know and we will try and accomodate.

Cheers for Now.

Keith .. [:)]..[:)]

lew

• View Profile
aceca over riders
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2011, 10:17:07 »
I have tried to measure mine. not that easy as they are back on the car but seem to come out at 228mm x 58mm. Have looked at pics of the Standard 10 ones on the net and they seem to shaped similar to mine and to Ford Anglia.
   As I live in the colonies I dont have access to many old cars so am unable to confirm lengths of Ford or Standard,perhaps some one reading this could measure and tell us.
   Mike are you sure that yours are original, if so that gives us the dimensions to work with

Lew

Classicus

• View Profile
aceca over riders
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2011, 10:48:54 »
Hope these help ? (Mother had one !)

http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/standard10.htm

http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/my_car_standard.htm

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
aceca over riders
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2011, 01:47:45 »
LEW.

Whilst at the recent  Silverstone Classic, came across a Standard 10 and almost alongsie a Ford Prefect (Model prior to 100E).

Both had Identical Pressed Over Riders..[;)].

Worth giving the "Standard 10 Club" the "Ford Side Valve Club" and The Small Ford Club a call and see what they have to offer.

Other ACOC Members would appreciate update as these items are often in demand.

Keith..[:)]

lew

• View Profile
aceca over riders
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2011, 09:45:13 »
Keith

Well spotted.
   As said I have 2 over riders that I THINK are original but not sure 'I have ordered 2 of the Ford ones today from Small Ford Spares at 39.90 a piece so will compare and report when they arrive
   The only problem when importing bits is the dreaded tax  and duty man, they literally double in price by the time anything reaches the colonies!!

Lew

AEX566

• View Profile
aceca over riders
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2011, 16:48:05 »
Small Ford Spares.com doesn't have these listed under "over riders"; they're at http://www.smallfordspares.co.uk/en/part.phtml?PartID=2743

Keith, how 'bout a combo offering of 'caps 'n riders?
   (With apologies to Jim Feldman and his seal of approval)

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
aceca over riders
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2011, 19:41:53 »
Arthur.

Great Idea!!.  When I retire I may well set up a small business to fill in the odd hour and complement my Pension, assuming the Goverment honour my 40 years of contribution in both national pension and my private.

In the mean time, It's not that I'm Lazy but simply tooooo Busy with Work, Family and Social life to take on more,  so on this occasssion I decline from picking up yet another gauntlet..[;)]..[;)]

What I thought would be the odd 10 or 20 fuel filler caps is now at 134 with a few enquiring potential double figures , so could well  place order 160/180 units, Then the fun starts collecting monies and distribution to Europe, USA, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa not forgetting UK.

Was I simply Naive,  Gullable  or  missed my vocation..[?]

Maybe some AC enthusiast will run with the idea, as there are many Ace and Aceca owners in the market for overriders.

Cheers for Now

Keith ..[:)]..[:)]

aceaceca

• View Profile
aceca over riders
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2011, 06:54:02 »
Look at 40 Ford over riders. They are a nice alternative if you are not a purist. Available new from Bob Drake Enterprises in the USA.