Author Topic: Want to hear more from 428 Frua Owners! [?]  (Read 18104 times)

Edd

• View Profile
Want to hear more from 428 Frua Owners! [?]
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2007, 14:34:42 »
It is the round badge which has an AC set on a gold mesh over red leather surrounded by a chrome ring.  Hopes this makes sense.  Any help with dimensions would be much appreciated.

Emmanueld

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2007, 17:24:59 »
I will post a photo with dimensions sometime today!

Sorry, I have been busy, I will get to it by next weekend!

Emmanuel

Rheinubung

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2007, 07:09:47 »
Hello Emmanuel:

Thank you for a most informative response; my 427 does have a 428 CJ crank = 454 c.i. Compression is 9.5/1 so pump gas is no problem.

To aid cooling I have elected to wrap the headers with so-called header tape. Radiant heat is eliminated and cost is significantly less than high-tech coatings. Of course, hood louvers would make a substantial improvement... but I kinda hate to put holes in Pietro's pretty bonnet, y'know?

By the way, the surge tank is primarily brass so if you remove the black paint it can be polished to a very satisfying shine.

Best Regards,
   Mike Reed ("Rheinubung")

Emmanueld

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2011, 18:55:36 »
My early experience with CFX54 was mixed. From the first day I brought it home I had some mechanical problems, nothing major but things which were the results of poor previous maintenance or the use of inappropriate parts. The car was super smooth, handling was pretty good but way too soft and the brakes were the best I have experience with a car of this vintage. The main problem was that the car's road clearance was too low. The heat inside the cabin was unbearable here in southern California. The shifter got so hot almost to the point of burning the skin. I drove the car for about a year before I started doing modifications. After installing the manual transmission and stiffer suspensions, the cars personality changed completely from a soft touring car to a more Cobra like drive. Still, the ride is not uncomfortable but the driving pleasure has been greatly enhanced. I have owned my Frua since 04 and it is the car I have kept the longest. I am planning to keep it a lot longer since for me it combines both a vintage car look, rarity, performance and reliability that only a big US V8 can provide in a vintage automobile.

Emmanuel [:)]

J Jones

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2011, 20:56:28 »
I've owned my car since 2003 (?), and have been making (reversable) modifications along the way to address the concerns common to these cars.

I've kept the original engine, but it's been losing weight. Police interceptor aluminum Intake, Edelbrock heads, Aluminum radiator, electric fan, remote oil filter, oil cooler (repurposed from tranmission oil cooler), aluminum water pump, new starter, MSD ignition, Ceramic coated headers to replace the cast iron exhaust. Ceramic coated exhaust system. Re-wound alternator, upgraded to 100 Amps.

I replaced the C6 transmission with a TKO 5-speed, changed the diff gears to 3.31.

New shocks and springs. Adjustable upper control arms.

Re-routing the "fresh air" intakes out of the engine compartment, to the later position in the fenderwells.

Removing the heater, and replacing it with heat and Air Conditioning, using the original ducting.

Fabricating and installing a (removeable) front spoiler.

New stainless steel bumpers.

New gas (petrol) tanks, now in welded aluminum (as opposed to the braised and soldered steel originals). We took the old ones apart and reproduced them as per original.

Upgraded lighting, including Lucas "square 8" driving lights.

I've identified the rubber bits, and am replacing everything. Window felts, channel guides, vent window seals, fuel neck grommets, etc.

I've saved practically everything that came off the car, except the original radiator, which I foolishly threw out in a fit of cleaning up my garage.

There is still much to do, but the car is SO much better now. It does not overheat, the oil temp is under control, it's quicker and handles better. No squeeks or rattles, it feels taut and "youthful" now.

I am so lucky to be living in Southern California where the original Shelby guys are still at it. George Petreus, Mike McCluskey (who builds airplanes and cars for C. Shelby), Dennis Cann and others who know these cars well. It's as good or better than having the AC factory still in existance.

Paul (Classicus) - are you still there? Haven't heard from you for a while. I hope you're well.

Classicus

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2011, 14:02:14 »
Hi Jeff yes fine thanks. I'll still be around from time to time however I have to catch up with long overdue family interests and clan gatherings nowadays much to my better half's immense satisfaction ! Sometimes out of sheer boredom when everyone's droning on, I've taken to imagining what might happen if we both turned up at the next outdoor frilly party in a fully restored rumbling fastback. Be great ! [:D]

Great pics Emmanuel very impressive effort all round, look forward to reading the new road test's comparisons with the old one day.

Paul [;)]

VOReilly

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2011, 14:38:46 »
Hi Emmanuel
     I have just logged on for the first time and would like to let you know that CF27, the ex Wolfgang Rudolf car, is alive and very well and living in Ireland. More details later.
       Vincent O Reilly

Classicus

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2011, 16:35:30 »
Hi Vincent, good to hear CF 27 is well. Is it the one in the pic below ?

If it is I'd been wondering about it for ages !! [8D]

Click on the link beneath for more info.

http://acfrua428.activeboard.com/t19535676/unknown-cars/

VOReilly

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2011, 17:51:37 »
Yes. That is my car. We were on our way to the Plymouth Santander Ferry to take part in that years Euroclassic. I have taken it on the last 4 or 5 Euroclassics. Brilliant.

Classicus

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2011, 20:18:21 »
Great thanks ! [8D]

Emmanueld

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2011, 15:26:22 »
quote:
Originally posted by VOReilly

Hi Emmanuel
     I have just logged on for the first time and would like to let you know that CF27, the ex Wolfgang Rudolf car, is alive and very well and living in Ireland. More details later.
       Vincent O Reilly

Hi Vincent, great car, the silver colour suits it very well. can you tell us more about your car?

Emmanuel[:)]