Author Topic: Removal of AC Ace wisbone suspension pins& bushes  (Read 4612 times)

Glen Smytheman

• View Profile
Removal of AC Ace wisbone suspension pins& bushes
« on: July 02, 2011, 08:19:13 »
Hi all from NZ.  I am pleased to say that BE1175 completed over 400 miles in its last week before being taken off the road.

The original overdrive gearbox came out fine last weekend and is about to go out for reconditioning.  I can now confirm that an Ace gearbox can be removed relatively easily with the engine still in place.  Definately much easier to do with two people than one!

My Dad Lane(47 years of Bristol ownership) is now taking front suspension to pieces getting ready for the box of bits coming from Brian Eacott (new shocks plus bit for steering, suspension, brakes ....).

We would like some advice on the removal of the front suspension pins and bushes which seem HIGHLY reluctant to move and the rubber is hanging on strongly!!  Our thought is to get a brass bush made up to fit inside a ~2 foot long bar and use this to hammer on (to the end of the pin) in order to remove. Lots of lubricant has been applied. Any other bright ideas greatly appreciated.

The back looks to be an even bigger challenge but it will take a few weeks to get there!

Regards

Glen

aex125

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 15:40:16 »
Glen, Its been awhile, but I believe there are a couple of set screws that hold the pins in. Did you remove those? If so and you are still having problems, then the brass bush may help, but on one of mine I never could get the pin out and ended up cutting it off and re-welding a new one. The ones I did get out came out after large amounts of heating/cooling and using a brass bush as you describe. Good Luck.

Jay

Glen Smytheman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 23:10:01 »
Many thanks for that Jay and to all others who have given input from various parts of the globe on other questions I have posted.

To add something further, having removed the front disc rotor I am pretty sure these are not the same as Triumph TR3....

Regards

Glen

Glen Smytheman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 10:13:28 »
No set screws found.  Looks like its going to be a bit of a challenge!  Glen

aex125

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 18:12:37 »
Glen,
   I am away from my cars right now, otherwise I would post a pic, but are there any ~1/16" holes visible on the front or back side? That is where the Set screws would be. They are not visible on the surface and are found by inserting a hex wrench into the hole. If you have an owner's manual I think it has the instructions in it.
   Jay

AE413

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2011, 17:39:28 »
Setscrews hold the outer rear wishbone pins and are in the upright, facing the centre of the car.

John

aex125

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2011, 06:30:43 »
I am home now to check my cars and John is correct. The set screws are as he states, and Glen has probably figured that out already. Hope Glen was successful with the removal.
   Jay

Glen Smytheman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2011, 20:59:47 »
John and Jay,  Still to have a good look around but will report back if I have any further problems.  My Dad has had a number of special tools made up for removal of other bushs and also the inner wheel bearings which had very little lip to be able to "tap" to remove. Its going to be a very easy process for the remining three wheels (fingers crossed).

Glen

Glen Smytheman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2011, 10:58:37 »
John and Jay,  Just to clarify its the inner pins that I (well dad more correctly) is having trouble with.  The outer pins were easily removed after removing the set screws as described above.  Lubricant and patience will get us there.  Hopefully..... Glen

AE413

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2011, 22:08:54 »
Glen,
   There should not be anything holding the inner pins once the nuts are removed. They are very tight and will need plenty of penetrating oil, heat and hammering using a suitable drift to get them out.

John