Author Topic: Un AC Ace Bristol au Le Mans 24 hr 2011 malheureux  (Read 8650 times)

nikbj68

• View Profile
Un AC Ace Bristol au Le Mans 24 hr 2011 malheureux
« on: June 14, 2011, 23:26:04 »
Before:

OUCH!

That ain`t gonna buff out with T-Cut! [:(]

*Photos from the UltimateCarPage Le Mans 2011 Report Gallery, with thanks.

Louism

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 16:40:02 »
The Le Mans Legend race was a very high level of interest, by drivers and cars performances...

As you can see on the top message posted by nikbj68, unlucky for Adrian Hall's Ace.
   As a matter of interest, you have to know that Adrian broke his engine sump on Le Mans kerbs during practices on thursday. Hard work to find and fix a new sump for Bristol engine in 24 hours. That was made for the race saturday morning, thanks to Patrick Blakeney-Edwards who was entering a Frazer Nash Le Mans Replica with the same Bristol engine.
   And you know what...
   Blakeney spun at Dunlop curve just in front of Adrian.
   The result is a contact between the 2 Bristol powered cars.

Some of my pictures of the race

And that was the image on the big screen

Louism

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 16:53:06 »
As you probably heard, Sir Stirling Moss decided after one lap during practices to give an end at his fabulous career.
   A Man of Legend at Le Mans Legend...
   Thanks to Betrand, we were at the heart of the emotion by having Sir Stirling, Susie and friends for dinner just a few moments after his decision.
   Unforgetable evening for me !

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 02:19:59 »
So was anyone driving a bit aggressive? Will there be a penalty? I always read Tony Dron's column with interest in the Octane magazine. As a beginner vintage racer I think the contrast between driving in the US events versus what i can see in the European events is stark. Reflecting on another thread in this forum, I don't think it is any wonder people would build replicas of their "real" car in order to go rub paint off on the track. Increasingly the cars are of significant historical value and it's a shame to see them cracked up. as an occasional spectator of these events, I really don't come to see winning performance. I come to see the cars in action. I don't understand why drivers feel the need to prove something that was done well over 50 years ago already...

Not to imply that either driver was behaving as such, just a general observation...

Gus

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 09:13:39 »
Gus

A racing incident..........  they happen,  granted more frequently on UK and European tracks than in USA.

Probably due to our competitive nature, Historic Race Cars and certain classic sports cars were built to be raced, this we tend to continue in much the same vien as when the cars were built fifty, sixty or seventy yearts ago.

A very good example being Goodwood Revival, I do agree with Tony Dron with regards that too many Multi million pound racers are being cloned with the copy used on the track, Does this lead to more agressive driving ??  I dont think so, The MSA & FIA judicate and can and will endorse Racing Licences plus fine drivers who are found to be driving in a dangerous manor.

I also agree with Tony Dron that too many period race cars are often infringing rules and regulations..[V] in order to be more competitive.
   Due to advancement in technology especially with tyres and suspensin, our sports/racers will handle better that fifty years ago.
   It is up to Scrutineers and race organisers to be more stringent in banning cars that obviously flaunt and flagrently break these rules .  The drivers who are cheating are really cheating themselves but also driving the cost of motor sport up.

True,  As Colin Chapman once said, Rules and Regulations are there to be bent and used to ones advantage, But not broken.

Racing is not a contact sport, However racing incidents will always happen as one pushes to learn ones limitations of man and machine..[;)]

Gus...  Enjoy your racing, be competitive, enjoy and drive within your comfort zone, but don't become a mobile chicane it's dangerous and unfair on those who drive faster...[;)] (Please don't take this as adig at your driving abilities)

At my first race meeting in  BEX333, whilst in the holding area at Silverstone,  John Arnold gave me a few words of advice...
   " the cars infront of you may be three or four seconds alap quicker than you, Ypou dont have to keep up with them, go out and enjoy and develope your driving skills over the coming seasons."

Keith..[:)]..[:)]

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 14:18:20 »
I thought blocking was a legit racing tactic...[;)]

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 16:41:47 »
quote:
Originally posted by Gus Meyjes...I thought blocking was a legit racing tactic...[;)]

But not by facing the opposite way to stop `em!!! LOL.[;)]
   Being a young whippersnapper of only 4 decades, I missed seeing these cars race in period, and what I want to see is tail-out, flat-out opposite lock battles, where all the cars finish & the drivers smile & shake hands afterwards! Rose-tinted racing? Maybe, but I don`t want to see a procession of old cars going around at 6 tenths with an "After you, Sir" mentality.
   In the same way that at LE Mans you have ex-Grand Prix drivers in LMP1`s lapping husband & wife teams in a Ford GT, you will have better, faster drivers in better, faster cars, and sometimes they forget that as an ex- Touring Car champ 'gun for hire' the paint & panels they scar are going to cost someone else to fix, so maybe a few sterner words before races are needed, but everyone who enters a race knows the potential for danger & damage is there.

I heartily agree with Keith`s comment about wallet racing though, where it`s 'win at any cost', regardless of rules, or more to the point with great regard for the rules, and how to hide how you`ve broken them! There have been instances of entrants being invited to remove their car from the paddock at Goodwood, and next year`s invite being 'lost in the post'! One particularly famous & aggresive driver claimed "to have been double booked" one year as a reason for his non-attendance; of course, it had nothing to do with his rainbow-coloured cars that were plain at the beginning the previous year`s races![:(!]

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 18:22:05 »
Hey, I'm not talking about parade lapping, but it seems more common in Europe to risk trading paint or ending up in the barriers than over here. Contribute that to competitive spirit all you want, but smart it's not. Like the correlation between LMP1 and the (michigan based) Ford GT, it's all good when people know to get out of the way, but that seems to be the problem exactly... It appears that the race marshals here are more likely to flag you off the track if you drive in an un-gentlemanly manner or are willing to risk rubbing fenders with your fellow competitors, and I think that is healthy. Add on top of "red mist" that most, if not all cars in the field are modified considerably from the originals in the day, and what exactly is it that we are watching? Desk racing? referring to "the other thread on replica cars entering the field. Would you rather see a replica that is really like the original or see an original that has heavily uprated suspension, brakes and motor/transmission?

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2011, 09:06:10 »
Gus

You seem to miss the point..........

The reason people compete in any form of sport is to challenge oneself and beat the opposition.

The same applies to Motor Racing, The Top Guys  go out to win, not to be a also ran.  Those who havent the talent ( or Money ) Go out to enjoy themselves and often find there limitations, thats how you learn. (If you never come off the black stuff, hit the kitty litter  or spin occassionaly you are not trying,It doesn't mean you have to drive like a loony)

As to / for Marshalling,  I MUST fly the UK Flag  and point out the Standard of UK Marshalling in all forms of motor sport Knocks that in  Europe and USA into a Cocked Hat !

Racing incidents happen. thats a  FACT.  more in UK than USA simply because we enjoy our motor sport more, use our cars as intended safely  gentlemanly and  more competitively .. It's in our genes 0r is it our Nomex .. [;)]

Seriously .. Most of us, Will never be a Ayrton Senna, Stirling Moss or Jim Clarke.  Just enjoy your motor sport at what ever pace you are comfortable with ..[:)]..[:)]

Keith

shep

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2011, 16:05:37 »
Having campaigned historic race cars for 30 years, there is a wonderful empathy to be reached with each car. Gus, when you reach the level when the car is doing all the work, the steering is light as the tyres balance between grip and drift, you are relaxed and time slows down so you are driving in slow motion, you will have discovered what motor racing is all about. It is like being a fabulous dancer and leading a beautiful woman around the floor. There is no aggression, no tension, just pure enjoyment. However, watch out for the beginner, treading on his girl's toes and oblivious to your approach! I have great respect for classic car owners who permit their cars to be seen, doing what they were designed for. Long may we all race and enjoy such wonderful machines.

bobbylangley

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2011, 09:39:31 »
Crikey Andy! What tablets are you on! Can I get some of those....[:D]

shep

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2013, 16:08:42 »
I was looking through some old emails and found a reference to this thread. I am sad that Adrian Hall is no longer with us, and we will not see his camp and entourage in the racing paddocks ever again. Thank the Lord for the characters we have known, and long may we continue to race our cars in memory of all those who did so before us.

AcecaRacer

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2013, 03:43:07 »
Shep -

Unless I missed something, Adrian is still very much with us.  This accident was just last year.  Did he pass away?  If so, I am terribly sad.  As most of you know, I own his former ACECA.  My car and his ACE wear twin livery.

Please tell me this is not so!

-Rob

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2013, 08:08:40 »
Rob, I am very sorry to have to confirm that Adrian passed away in 2011.
   He was the first person to respond to my info searches about my Dad`s Cobra when I had an article in ACtion about 10 years ago, sending photos and telling how he`d been at Le Mans in 1963. A truly sad loss.

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2013, 09:44:09 »
   Rob.

Unfortunately Adrian Hall passed away on 4th September 2011, following a Pulmonary Embolism........ Will be missed by many, a great character, competitor and ambassador of both classic motor sport and the ACOC.

Keith