Author Topic: Overdrive blown up - Help please  (Read 2293 times)

AcecaRacer

• View Profile
Overdrive blown up - Help please
« on: June 10, 2011, 20:03:29 »
I have just finished rebuilding my race motor and it has speced out at 144BHP.  I have a standard gearbox and overdrive.  In my first race last weekend, I found my gearbox starting to slip when under load, eventually becoming completely useless halfway through the race.

I do not believe it is the clutch as the clutch is new and there was no smell at all.  My mechanic believes it is the OD.  I did not hear any sound, bang or anything when I eventually lost the ability to move forward.

Prior to the rebuild, the OD was working fine with no sign of slipping.  However, I was running about 85 BHP at that time.

So, my questions are these:...

Has anyone else experienced this?  Do you think it is the OD?

If it is the OD, can I just pull the OD off and put on the non-OD tail shaft with a shorter drive shaft and be done with it?

Is there an OD designed to handle higher HP?  I don't need it for track racing, but I do need it for rally's and road racing.

Any help would be appreciated!

Cheers,
   Rob

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 21:01:55 »
Rob.

What clutch are you running ..[?]

Most of us in the  UK especially for competition use upgrade to a 8.5 inch Heavy Duty Diaphram Clutch and use a 8.5 inch Competition friction plate.  ( MGB GT )
   The throw on the clutch release has to be measured and adjusted/ shimmed accoringly.

If the O/D unit burns out and ceases to function  I would have thought you would still have drive, same as if O/D was not engaged [?]
   I could be wrong.. [;)]

What sort of noise and gearchange problem did you experience prior to loss of drive ..[?]

Keith ..[:)]

AcecaRacer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 21:21:11 »
I actually received no real noise at all.  The gearbox just started to slip.  Acted a bit like wheel spin. I would press the accelerator and the car would move forward then the revs would jump up and then it would catch and then the car would move forward.  A bit like if I were to rest my foot on the clutch a bit causing a slight slip.

Again, I did not smell anything like a burning clutch. I did not hear anything like grinding gears.  It just started slipping to the point where it acted as if the engine and gearbox were no longer connected.

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2011, 00:53:44 »
Rob

Four questions for starters:-

Could you change gear or engage gear from nuetral .[?]

What free play have you on the clutch pedal and the clutch slave cylinder.[?].

Level of clutch fluid in the reservoir..[?]

Looking through inspection cover on top of bellhousing has the clutch gone over centre..[?]

Just trying to establish cause of problem without being hands on.

Have you constant pressure on the clutch pedal, does it fade or improve by pumping...  sorry thats question  5 and 6

Keith..[;)]

AcecaRacer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 00:11:36 »
It looks like we have found the problem...broken stub axle.

The Woodruff key has shorn.

So...a couple of questions arise from this:

Where can I get replacement parts?
   Are the stock stub axles strong enough?
   Has anyone upgraded to cobra stub axles?

Thoughts?