Author Topic: AC Mk V for Sale  (Read 14402 times)

TLegate

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 748
    • View Profile
AC Mk V for Sale
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2011, 16:59:54 »
Plenty of popcorn for you, but tis soggy with me tears...check the panel gaps on that automotive treasure and you'll see why. (and that's the good news)
   
   The words 'horses - dead - flogging' come to mind on the Who Made What & Where topic and folks will only ever agree to disagree so let's get back to the racing desk issue: Do you drawers keep dropping...think I need stronger hinges!

cobham cobra

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 497
    • View Profile
AC Mk V for Sale
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2011, 18:28:57 »
Trevor,
   I think you can now get original old stock hinges in carbon fibre which could be the way to go ? I’ve found if you saw a couple of inches off the legs you can get better stability. I’ve also tried sitting on the desk which has greatly increased the down force, though not done much for the aerodynamics.[:D]
   
   We can always microwave the popcorn, I’ll bring the beer. This topic is usually good for a couple of weeks of postings.[;)]
   John.

AC Ace Bristol

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1455
    • View Profile
AC Mk V for Sale
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2011, 18:29:01 »
Cobham Cobbler... OOoopppppss, sorry   Cobham Cobra.
   
   John
   
   All for the manufacturers of spare parts.. to keep our beloved ACs on the black stuff.. [;)]........ Once upon a time AC ACtually made and supplied bits off the shelf.
   Sad as it is, that aint so any more..[:(]
   
   Hence we need the likes of the Steve Grey's, Gerry Hawkridge, Rod Briggs and Brian Eacott .... to name but four ..[:p]
   
   They are always there when needed. . . . where as AC Cars .......[?].
   
   OH BUM!! the soggy popcorn has come through the bottom of the bag..
   
   Keith

cobham cobra

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 497
    • View Profile
AC Mk V for Sale
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2011, 18:30:41 »
Keith,
   Now that point I can agree with.
   Cheers - John.

nikbj68

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2161
    • View Profile
AC Mk V for Sale
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2011, 18:42:35 »
quote:
Originally posted by cobham cobra...I’ve found if you saw a couple of inches off the legs you can get better stability...
Is that yours, or the desk?[;)]

cobham cobra

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 497
    • View Profile
AC Mk V for Sale
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2011, 12:36:58 »
Thank you young Nik, my legs are already short enough[V], and I still have stability problems occasionally[:D]

Chafford

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 605
    • View Profile
AC Mk V for Sale
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2011, 22:29:56 »
And here's another one on sale - 5,800 miles only:
   
   http://www.barryelysportscars.co.uk/stock.htm
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   

Emmanueld

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 864
    • View Profile
AC Mk V for Sale
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2011, 19:55:39 »
I think we should be inclusive, I go even further, we should have threads on this forum for reputable manufacturers of rolling chassis like Kirkham for example who are a major provider of spares here in the US. I seem to recall them trying to buy the AC marque a few years back., who knows it may still happen. The fact that people try to copy our cars is a plus for AC. It keeps the brand alive. In addition, if the owner of the marque produces a car and places the AC logo on it, then it's an AC. There is nothing anyone can do about it. This reminds me of Norton  which was revived in the US only to be bought back by a British investor. They are now making modern Norton Commandos in England again. These are modern motorcycles, which look somewhat similar to the original but are 100% modern based on Greer's design.
   Any expensive  kit car owner like Kirkham  is a potential future AC owner and a potential club member as well.
   
   Emmanuel[:)]

REV

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 249
    • View Profile
AC Mk V for Sale
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2011, 19:32:36 »
I think many of us would feel compelled to welcome a MKVI if it were a well built vehicle and a credit to the Marque.
   
   Things have gone wrong because the Marque's integrity has been used in a questionable manner and placed on substandardly manufactured vehicles.
   
   Many are uncomfortable to be associated with the recent financial past and the MKV.
   
   Should a vehicle be built that is a credit to the very proud history of AC I believe we would all stand and applaud.

Gus Meyjes

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 729
    • View Profile
AC Mk V for Sale
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2011, 03:30:02 »
quote:
Originally posted by jrlucke
   
And so where would those cobbled together in some form from an original AC chassis such as the grey 2.6 build from chassis EL 1558 or the 2nd BEX403 (or 404?) or the Cobras having duplicate chassis numbers or the new 2.6 RS5038?[/size=6]
   
   Sounds like those built in England are OK but not those built in Malta, Germany, Poland, South Africa or the US are not????
   
   John
   
   And Keith got the popcorn all soggy so I didn't get any!
   
   

   
   
   Hey, where was I during this whole rant? This is getting personal now! Cobbled together home project? The "new 2.6 RS5038" did come from an AC factory and was built buy AC craftsmen. They just did not finish their job...
   
   And why are we on popcorn? We had a good one going with the Bishop's finger somewhere else!
   
   Gus

Chafford

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 605
    • View Profile
AC Mk V for Sale
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2011, 19:54:48 »
quote:
Originally posted by Gus Meyjes
   
quote:
Originally posted by jrlucke
   
And so where would those cobbled together in some form from an original AC chassis such as the grey 2.6 build from chassis EL 1558 or the 2nd BEX403 (or 404?) or the Cobras having duplicate chassis numbers or the new 2.6 RS5038?[/size=6]
   
   Sounds like those built in England are OK but not those built in Malta, Germany, Poland, South Africa or the US are not????
   
   John
   
   And Keith got the popcorn all soggy so I didn't get any!
   
   

   
   
   Hey, where was I during this whole rant? This is getting personal now! Cobbled together home project? The "new 2.6 RS5038" did come from an AC factory and was built buy AC craftsmen. They just did not finish their job...
   
   And why are we on popcorn? We had a good one going with the Bishop's finger somewhere else!
   
   Gus
   

   
   It's all a load of old cobblers (or should that be Cobras!) [:)][:)]
   
   I wouldn't be too upset though - RS5038 is history repeating itself; body and chassis built by AC with engine installation and final completion in the US. I'm wondering though whether you ought to refer to it as an 'AC Mk1 260 continuation'[;)]

MkIV Lux

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 647
    • View Profile
AC Mk V for Sale
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2011, 01:11:27 »
quote:
Originally posted by AC Ace Bristol
   

   
   ...
   
   
   I simple cannot see how a Car produced in some other Country that has no components made / produced by AC can be a AC  other than being made under licence, thereby  buying credability/ cudos by riding on the back of ACs History.
   
   The AC name is so far removed from these latest creations parading around Europe & USA that they simply cannot be ACs....[:(]
   
   Keith
   
   

   
   I fully agree with you on this, Keith[:)]
   
   Now what is the definition of "made under licence"? I would understand this as a product made to the same basic technical specification as the original product. Example: today Miroku Firearms of Japan manufactures Winchester '94 rifles under licence of Winchester Corp. Same spec, same design, same or improved built quality due to use of more modern materials.
   
   The Cobra MkVI is a previously existant product of the replica market, modified and rebadged AC. That, to me, is at best trademark licensing.

Chafford

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 605
    • View Profile
AC Mk V for Sale
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2011, 13:33:54 »
quote:
Originally posted by MkIV Lux
   
quote:
Originally posted by AC Ace Bristol
   

   
   ...
   
   
   I simple cannot see how a Car produced in some other Country that has no components made / produced by AC can be a AC  other than being made under licence, thereby  buying credability/ cudos by riding on the back of ACs History.
   
   The AC name is so far removed from these latest creations parading around Europe & USA that they simply cannot be ACs....[:(]
   
   Keith
   
   

   
   I fully agree with you on this, Keith[:)]
   
   Now what is the definition of "made under licence"? I would understand this as a product made to the same basic technical specification as the original product. Example: today Miroku Firearms of Japan manufactures Winchester '94 rifles under licence of Winchester Corp. Same spec, same design, same or improved built quality due to use of more modern materials.
   
   The Cobra MkVI is a previously existant product of the replica market, modified and rebadged AC. That, to me, is at best trademark licensing.
   

   
   As was the Mk IV - an existing product built by Brian Angliss that was subsequently modified and licenced by Derek Hurlock to use the AC title in 1982.
   
   I've seem the arguments about 'bloodlines' etc, but the reality is that models such as the CRS as originally specified had precious little in common with the 60's Shelby Cobra 427.
   
   The best approach is to adopt an inclusive approach and welcome Mk V and Mk VI owners to the Club as owners of genuine ACs. I was pleased therefore to see a category for Cobra MkIV CRS, Mk V and Mk VI for the Concours at the ACOC National Day.

nikbj68

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2161
    • View Profile
AC Mk V for Sale
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2011, 14:39:17 »
quote:
Originally posted by Chafford...I've seem the arguments about 'bloodlines' etc,...The best approach is to adopt an inclusive approach and welcome Mk V and Mk VI owners to the Club as owners of genuine ACs...

   I think the real issue with the MkV wasn`t so much to do with bloodline as it was to do with the awful, awful build quality that was below anything even the most budget of Cobra replicators would have cringed at, and effectively brought shame to the once-great name of AC! Having had bucketloads of money thrown at the few extant examples to make them roadworthy & presentable their owners should be welcomed and recognised for their achievements.
   Having seen the MkVI, those quality issues are long gone, and regardless of how we feel about the Dax origins, they do have an AC badge on, so their owners should also be made welcome.
    (.. But please park them overe there...bit further...bit further... OK. [;)])

Gus Meyjes

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 729
    • View Profile
AC Mk V for Sale
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2011, 18:10:59 »
hahaha!! I'll park RS 5038 right next them...overthere...