Author Topic: A glut of MkIV Lightweights for Sale?  (Read 8037 times)

Chafford

• View Profile
A glut of MkIV Lightweights for Sale?
« on: October 06, 2011, 12:28:55 »
Yet another Cobra Mk IV lightweight is on sale at Duncan Hamilton:

http://www.duncanhamilton.com/1991-a-c-cobra-mk-iv-lightweight/

This joins the two Lightweights on sale at Hendon Way Motors:

http://www.racecar.com/hwmnet/detail.asp?Category=Special&VehicleID=792

http://www.racecar.com/hwmnet/detail.asp?Category=Special&VehicleID=683

'Nostalgia's' very nice grey car and Albion's LHD green example:

http://www.classicdriver.com/uk/find/4100_results.asp?&dealerid=670&lCarID=1832353

http://www.albionmotorcars.com/forsale/detail/48

Given the rarity of this model (only 26 made), I'm surprised to see so many on sale at the same time. Hendon Way have had theirs for a considerable time.

Mark IV

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2011, 13:05:22 »
quote:
Originally posted by Chafford

Given the rarity of this model (only 26 made), I'm surprised to see so many on sale at the same time.

Is 26 the generally accepted number? I know Mr. Angliss was rather coy about how "limited" the lightweight run was.

Chafford

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 13:51:20 »
I believe originally 18 were originally planned, but as you say, exact numbers were vague. 26 seems to be the number quoted by all the dealers. I suspect the £100,000+ sale prices for these cars are deterring buyers in the current economic climate. Standard MkIVs don't seem to stick around for as long.

ANF289

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 16:13:06 »
quote:
Originally posted by Mark IV

quote:

Given the rarity of this model (only 26 made), I'm surprised to see so many on sale at the same time.

Is 26 the generally accepted number? I know Mr. Angliss was rather coy about how "limited" the lightweight run was.

There are 73 AKL's listed in the 2002 ACOC AC MK IV Register.

Chafford

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2011, 17:55:02 »
But most of those aren't the original batch of 'lightweights'.

AKL 1333

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2011, 18:16:19 »
The original batch of lightweights have no heater and the mkIII style dashboard. But there are a some cars with restyled mk III dashboards but normaly you can see the the difference above the dashboard cause also the restyled cars have the outlets for the heater under the frontscreen (you can see it at the green Albion car). The original first lightweights have no outlets there

Chafford

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2011, 18:41:05 »
quote:
Originally posted by AKL 1333

The original batch of lightweights have no heater and the mkIII style dashboard. But there are a some cars with restyled mk III dashboards but normaly you can see the the difference above the dashboard cause also the restyled cars have the outlets for the heater under the frontscreen (you can see it at the green Albion car). The original first lightweights have no outlets there

So the Albion car is a short nose MkIV rather than one of the original 'Lightweights'. Nevertheless a very nice looking car in Jaguar Racing Green without side pipes. But not cheap at £103,000!

AKL 1333

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2011, 18:57:56 »
Yes it looks very good but its much cheaper than the blue Duncan Hamilton car  (not the original colour and no factory installed refitted sidepipes) but i think its around 120000 Pounds

Chafford

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2011, 14:41:21 »
The 'Lightweights' and the later short nose MK IVs certainly have the edge in terms of looks, but the earlier cars are better value for money if you don't object to the long nose 'trout pout' [:)][;)]

jbottini

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2011, 18:33:03 »
Opinion?

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2011, 01:13:29 »
It's more than likely the (very British) Tanqueray and tonic, but the comparison is actually striking... funny..

Gus

ANF289

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2011, 06:05:06 »
quote:

The 'Lightweights' and the later short nose MK IVs certainly have the edge in terms of looks, but the earlier cars are better value for money if you don't object to the long nose 'trout pout' [:)][;)]

I personally prefer the more elegant look of the long-nose.  However, I can see the boy-racer appeal of the short-nose, even though it really does look more like guppy lips.[;)]

SB7015

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2011, 23:09:55 »
Rod Leach - Nostalgia AC sales legend has also very recently put a fine example for sale. A magnificent and unusual grey which looks absolutely stunning.

Malcolm

Chafford

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2011, 13:11:39 »
quote:
Originally posted by Spikey-fish

Rod Leach - Nostalgia AC sales legend has also very recently put a fine example for sale. A magnificent and unusual grey which looks absolutely stunning.

Malcolm

http://www.classicdriver.com/uk/find/4100_results.asp?&dealerid=670&lCarID=1832353