Author Topic: MKIV pedal box assembly / clutch pedal quadrant  (Read 10182 times)

C9OBY

• View Profile
MKIV pedal box assembly / clutch pedal quadrant
« on: June 01, 2011, 07:59:54 »
Hi,

Does anyone have experience repairing their MKIV pedal box, or finding a replacement clutch pedal quadrant (item 7 in the diagram below)?  I've included some pictures of similar units below, but have not yet managed to find the exact part for my car yet.

Unfortunately, the plastic quadrant has broken at the 'hinge'/eye, but overall it appears to be a significant weak point in the overall clutch pedal assembly design.  I need to either find a replacement quadrant, or replace the entire pedal box, however I'm assuming that a new pedal box will require a change to the clutch, brake and throttle cable positions etc.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
   Bruce

Kiwi Cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 15:09:45 »
Hi Bruce, my MkIV met with the same issue, the quadrant is a known fault and the spring often breaks stopping the pawl from being engaged onto the quadrant teeth. I trawled the 'Net and found the following page and concept that I then went on to manufacture and fit to my car, working off the photos. It works very well and is a fit and forget modification that allows manual adjustment of the clutch cable: http://www.key-ideas.com/DG_ClutchAdjuster.htm

C9OBY

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 15:38:16 »
Hi Steve,

Thanks for your advice & link, I'm definitily going to attempt the same thing on mine.  Are you able to send me any drawing with dimensions etc of your design that I could copy?

Thanks
   Bruce

PS: I've just managed to find a replacement quadrant from a local Ford parts dealer which I'll collect on Saturday.

Kiwi Cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 15:43:48 »
I will check at work tommorow,I can't recall what I have or kept. I actually replaced the entire quadrant by water jet cutting a new one from Ali plate, then machining the bores and outer groove. It took a while but the end result is very good and worth the effort.

C9OBY

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 16:19:26 »
Wow, that is exactly what I've spend the last day looking for - a metal one.  I am planning to send my new plastic one down to a local metal-shop and see if they can fabricate one for me.  If only I had my own water jet cutter...!

C9OBY

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 08:12:34 »
The pedal box out, and offending parts removed.  The quadrant is Ford part number 83BB 7L583 AA.

Mark IV

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2011, 01:20:54 »
83BB 7L583 AA. Is an "Engineering" number, not a "part" number.

jbottini

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2011, 14:54:21 »
Parts avilable from multiple speed shops with better cables as well

ak1234

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2011, 03:47:04 »
This part looks to be the exact part used on a the fox body mustangs ... of which they had the same problem with it breaking ... I do know they were replaced with aftermarket aluminum style ... Ford might have the exact replacement available ... or possibly someone like Jegs, Summit, NPD etc.

Ron

aex125

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2011, 04:26:25 »
quote:
Originally posted by ak1234

This part looks to be the exact part used on a the fox body mustangs ... of which they had the same problem with it breaking ... I do know they were replaced with aftermarket aluminum style ... Ford might have the exact replacement available ... or possibly someone like Jegs, Summit, NPD etc.

Ron

I was also thinking this. If anyone is interested, I have an NOS one for the Foxbody mustang somewhere in the garage that I bought for my '86 SVO and never used. I would have to dig it out and check to see if it matches the pics above to be sure of a match. However, Ron is right about someone making a metal replacement for the Fox body quadrants and if they are the same, that would probably be a better replacement for a daily driver.

Jay

jbottini

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2011, 20:27:08 »
get the replacement from a spped shop and replace cable at same time. New cables have more adjustment and much superior heat shielding...been there done this!!

ANF289

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2011, 20:26:00 »
quote:
Originally posted by jbottini

get the replacement from a spped shop and replace cable at same time. New cables have more adjustment and much superior heat shielding...been there done this!!

Jim,
   You wouldn't happen to have any brand & part number info?
   Art

cobham cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2011, 15:13:50 »
FYI - for a right hand drive car you will need a longer cable. Thunder Road in Surrey have heavy duty versions made by Speedy Cables. Trust me, it's well worth having spare clutch and throttle cables in the boot!

Some years ago I had the clutch cable fail while driving round Parliament Square in the rush-hour and subsequently having to drive the car to a quieter place by using second gear and the ignition key was no fun at all. The security police weren’t too impressed with my “stop-start” driving style either.

John.

jbottini

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2011, 21:18:05 »
ANF, I'look at home, I think i have mfg and PN. Cobham   good catch...but if made in M.O.England ..it should be RHD correct anyway...I thought "our betters" had speed shops?!