Author Topic: Ace Bristol brakes gearbox removal, wheels tyres  (Read 10245 times)

Glen Smytheman

• View Profile
Ace Bristol brakes gearbox removal, wheels tyres
« on: May 20, 2011, 21:16:33 »
Hi all and Greetings from New Zealand...

For those of you that know BE1175 it is still going really well, having travelled from Paihia in the North of NZ to Invercargill at the bottom of the South Island in the last 3.5 years since I have owned the car.  It goes much better with use!

I am giving BE1175 a 51st birthday present over the Southern Hemisphere winter and would really appreciate some assistance on the following topics:

1) Overdrive Gearbox removal.  Does anyone know if you can remove an overdrive gearbox with the engine still in place?

2) Replacement disc rotors.  I have looked through past posts in the forum and cannot find one that confirms that Triumph TR3 disc rotors are able to fitted an Ace. Can anyone confirm this.

3) Wheels and tyres.  I am looking for a set of new 72 spoke 16 inch wheels. Likewise I am looking for a set of matching tyres (car currently fitted with a set if michellin X 175R 16inch tyres that look great but unknown age).  Any recommendations of supplers (anywhere in the world)greatly appreciated.

4) Brian Eacott - I have been trying to contact for the last week for some other parts but his fax/answerphone is not working, and his mobile is not answered.  Anyone know what the story is here.

5) Instruction manual - I have the Ace Bristol operating instructions booklet, but wonder if anyone knows if a more detailed parts/maintenace manual is available for the Ace (something like what Bristol produced for the 2 litre cars).

Many thanks in advance for anyone that can assist with the above.

Regards

Glen Smytheman

aex125

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 04:27:41 »
Glen,
   For number 2 see this thread
   http://www.acownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1265&SearchTerms=rotors

#3- Try Dayton Wire Wheels in the US, or MWS in the UK.

#5- I have a detailed Bristol engine/transmission manual but am not sure if it is unique to the Ace. There are no Ace specific instructions that I have found, but it as some letters between AC ltd and an Ace owner from the 60s so it may have been what was available at the time. In fact, one of the letters from AC quotes a "Bristol Shop Manual" for the sum of 2.10.- lbs, and it may be the manal I have. I can probably scan in a page or 2 if you would like to see what it looks like.

Jay

Laurence Kent

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 21:02:36 »
Dayton can make you original-style 54 spoke wheels, either silver-painted or chrome. As for 72 spokes, you would have to inquire. The 54 spoke wheels are strong if you specify stainless steel spokes.

Cocker in the U.S.A. can supply you with good 185 X 16 radials. I have had no problem with these tyres and they look "right" on my D-2-powered Ace--not quite as skinny as Michelin 165s.

Good luck.

Laurence in British Columbia

Robin A Woolmer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 23:32:21 »
Motor Wheel Services UK have  the correct fitment information for the AC & Other cars ' www.mwsint.com '
   16'' by 4.5'' 56 spokes or 15'' by 5.5'' 72 spokes.
   Have a look at there web site maybe they will also do special wheels to suit.
   Robin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 06:57:48 »
I fitted 3 years ago, new Michelin X radial 5.50 x 16 which were the of course the original supplied tire for the Ace. These tires are prduced from the original Michelin molds. They were purchased from Longstone Tyre in the UK, see their ad as published regularly in Action.The tires are superb in every respect and none of the old problem of rear wheel arch scrub produced by the 185 Cinturatos etc.

Jonathan Parker

Vancouver

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2011, 07:23:52 »
Second post from Parker. My Ace, AEX 1194 is fitted with the original option Girling front disc brake and the caliper rebuild kit supplied some years ago was TR4.  I hope that info may be of use.

Jonathan Parker

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2011, 07:25:28 »
Second post from Parker. My Ace, AEX 1194 is fitted with the original option Girling front disc brake and the caliper rebuild kit supplied some years ago was TR4.  I hope that info may be of use.

Jonathan Parker

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2011, 10:09:42 »
quote:
Originally posted by Laurence Kent...Cocker in the U.S.A. can supply you with good 185 X 16 radials...
Sorry to be pedantic, but it`s Coker, not Cocker. [;)]

Glen, did you see the set in the SMALL ADS section of this site?:
    "2 x 4 x steel wire wheels 16” x 5” x 72 spoke, excellent condition, fitted with little used Dunlop Taxi tyres 175R16 and additional unused tyre. £750 ono plus shipping" I`m not quite sure, does that mean 2 sets of 4 @ £750 or £750 per set of 4? [?]

Glen Smytheman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2011, 11:45:01 »
All,

Many thanks for the responses above.  Greatly appreciated.  I am working through and making contact with the people set out above.  If anyone else has further information it would be more than welcomed at this end.

I have delayed taking the car off the road for a couple more weeks with 2 trips planned out of town which will clock up another 400 miles or so this week.  A bit more exciting than taking the work Hyundai.

Thanks again

Glen

Robin A Woolmer

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2011, 12:05:19 »
Glen
   I did not say above that Hawk Cars now has the proper brake discs in stock together with most of the brake parts for the Ace & Aceca which includes proper forged front stub axles, you will find that Gerry Hawkridge has built up quite a number of parts for the Ace & Aceca, brake drums for the rears will be available very soon.

Regards

Robin

Laurence Kent

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2011, 18:45:52 »
This is for Mr. J. Parker,

The early Aces of the mid fifties had Michelin 155s, but in either '56 or '57 there was a switch to Michelin 165.  Your Ace, being from 1960, would definitely have left the factory with 165s. My '58 still has its original, made in England, Michelin 165 X 16 spare in unused condition.

Laurence in British Columbia

tim isles

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2011, 13:53:51 »
Laurence,

I beg to differ, but I'm happy to be proved wrong! My understanding is that all Aces on 16" wheels used a 5.50 Michelin 'X'. Certainly all contemporary road tests of early Aces, including AE 01 (UPJ 75), refer to the cars being fitted with this size of tyre.

Indeed I don't recall tyres in the 50s and early 60s being referenced by their metric size - 155, 165 etc, so I doubt the spare you have is an original.

Johnathan, I also question that the 16" Michelin 'X' available today comes from the original moulds. Sure, Michelin made the current pattern in 15" (it was a popular fit for TRs), but the pattern found on the 16" 'X' was a much simpler affair and looked like a number of unconnected 'bands' around the tyre. I say this because I ran an Ace in 1970/71 and suitable 16" tyres were very hard to come by around this time. About all that was available was a 16" Cinturato in 185 section that was too large, and a Michelin 'X' 'Taxi' but with a speed rating of 75 mph I think (and which diligent MOT testers would fail the car on if so fitted when presented for test.) I did eventually find a set of 4 16" NOS tyres after weeks of searching, but they were of the standard 'banded' pattern, as seen in all the various period road test articles.

Does anyone else share my view?

Regards,

Tim

Jim A

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2011, 18:56:02 »
My 1957 Ace came new with 5.50 x 16 Michelin X's; it still had the original spare (with English air) when it burned up in 1991.
   When the Michelins wore out (probably in '61 or '62) the only radial that was available is Southern California was the Pirelli Cinturato.
   These tires provided better handling than the Michilins as well as severe burns to the rear fender arches.
   I never found a suitable replacement that didn't rub the fender until some Avons around 1990.

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2011, 00:14:37 »
Tim,
   A quick call to Longstone Tyre with the question, is the current 16" x 5.50 Michelin X that they are supplying from the original mould? The story surrounding the tire when it again become available about 3 or 4 years ago, was that they were exact reproductions as they were from the original moulds dusted off by Michelin in France. Having said that, I think your evidence trumps mine.

Regards

Jonathan

tim isles

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2011, 22:10:28 »
Jonathan,

Thanks for this - I wonder if these 16" tyres with the classic 'X' pattern were only made in France? This would answer the question about whether such a pattern was indeed made in period.

But as mentioned in my last post, I never saw these tyres in UK in the late 60s/early 70s, and nor have I ever seen a period picture of an Ace or an Aceca on anything other than the old style 'banded' 5.50 x 16 Michelin 'X'.

Somebody out there surely knows more?

Regards,

Tim