Author Topic: Badges on 428s  (Read 13423 times)

siegfried

• View Profile
Badges on 428s
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2012, 23:21:01 »

lyonheart84

• View Profile
Badges on 428s
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2012, 20:44:13 »
Emmanuel if you look at the interior photo of CF6 it has the gearlever located further forward and to the left exactly as positioned on Siegfried's car ( albeit with the addition of the T-piece ) whereas CF17 has the same gearlever and location as my old car CF42. Obviously AC decided the position needed to be improved from the very early cars.

Emmanueld

• View Profile
Badges on 428s
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2012, 03:24:00 »
Brett,

It's all a question of which tail shaft was available from Ford at the time the car was built. Cobras Mark 1, 2 and 3 used Galaxie an Fairlane tail shafts which position the shifter forward. The big block used the heavy spline tail shaft which mounted the shifter further front, hence the long curved handle. Eventually, Ford built cars that had shifters positioned to the end of the tail shaft so AC was able to move the shifter back. When I installed the top loader in my car, I used a 71 Torino tail shaft (you know like Starky and Hutch's car) which moved the shifter further back. I then switched to a Tremec 5 speed. The good thing about the Tremec TKO600 5 speed is the possibility of moving the shifter in different locations, without changing anything, I did not have to redrill the center console, bolted right in! By the way, Brett they make one with GM pattern, fits Corvettes perfectly! 5 speeds make the car more enjoyable on the freeway!  Makes it up in petrol cost!

Of subject but FYI:
   http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-general/2975192-its-like-a-whole-new-car-tko-600-a.html

Emmanuel[:)]