Author Topic: Transaxle  (Read 254 times)

Jock

• View Profile
Transaxle
« on: March 26, 2024, 07:51:20 »
I am servicing a 1929 6 cylinder and I don't understand how to fill the transaxle. There seems to be only one filler but two drain plugs, one in the axle and one in the gearbox. I have tried putting the 7 pints of oil (which i think is the correct amount) into the filler but it only takes about half that. If I then take the gearbox drain out, no oil comes out. Any help much appreciated.

Big col

• View Profile
Re: Transaxle
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2024, 14:40:38 »
Can you tell us which type of box you have ? I think the main two types are Moss or ENV.
On my 1935 car I believe it to be an ENV. If it is the same then on the right hand side of the box there is a brass plug in the middle which is for filling. There is a second plug that sits horizontally in a flange that is cast into the box casing. This second plug mentioned is the level plug and when the oil spill over then the correct level is achieved.
I might be rough but I’m slow as well.

Old Crock

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2024, 11:10:02 »
Big Col ,the gearbox Jock refers to is on a vintage car, not a PVT, and he correctly describes it as a transaxle.

Jock, you are correct, there are two drain plugs - one for the axle, the other the gearbox. There is one filler which is on the rear axle diff casing. You have drained both units. The method is to fill the back axle to overflow point. You then have to take the car out (or raise it and run it, on axle stands or ramp, so that the axle is in use and back wheels are turning). The crown wheel works a bit like a water-wheel in scooping oil and depositing it in the gearbox top, it goes through a bush filling up the gearbox which has holes for overflowing and return to the axle when filled. It will take about 2-3 more pints.

I know it seems odd to be running the car with no oil in the gearbox but this is the method described by AC in the 1920's. If the car is on stands you can monitor the oil going into the box and top up as the level goes down. If taking the car out, take an oil pourer with you and I would suggest stop, firstly after say 3 or 4 miles and top up (so, some oil now in there), next stop say another 6-7 miles. This method normally requires c.3 stops to ensure the axle reaches overflow and the gearbox is full. The oil has to also travel down the half-shafts to the hubs and also down the torque tube (axle casing to universal joint, meeting the propshaft) - so a final top up could be required. Usually, the total oil is about 6+ pints for the transaxle unit. 

Jock

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2024, 20:07:14 »
Thank you both for your replies. Old Crock, that seems sensible, I will give it a go tomorrow. It also seems to be leaking a lot of oil out, which seems to be coming out the front end of the torque tube and dribbling along the cross member. Is there a clever mod or repair that can fix this?

Thanks again, Jock

Old Crock

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2024, 12:10:10 »
Hello Jock

No, not any modification that I'm aware of. That is a known leaking place as there is a leather seal there, Being leather at some point the oil will get through, even by saturation (or conversely lack of use and the seal dries and cracks). The part is no longer available and if, at some time in the future, you remove the axle it is very easily made, to pattern. I have made this seal for my own car but after a season or so it was back to leaking - now I live with it...but it is getting worse again.

For interest which car is it that you are working on, can you advise the Reg or Chassis Number?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2024, 12:18:05 by Old Crock »