Author Topic: Need Some Resources  (Read 6798 times)

bex316

• View Profile
    • BEX316
Need Some Resources
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2011, 18:06:54 »
Yesterday Jamey sent me scans of old Californian registration documents from the 1970s. These papers representing registration mark YKT 695 show the VIN to be CL2366W. Now that is the original engine number for AEX 457. Together with the stamped number 457 on the boot/trunk hinge it leads to the conclusion it almost certainly has to be AEX 457. Tim Isles has the same opinion.

Jerry

nikbj68

• View Profile
Need Some Resources
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2011, 22:23:32 »
So, Jamey, time to change your ad to read: "1958 AC Ace(AEX457) with V8 engine" [:)]
   Looks like a nice little project for someone...

jamey

• View Profile
Need Some Resources
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2011, 02:52:50 »
Yes, it would be a nice project for someone. I don't know if I should change the ad to 1958 because the old registration says it's a 1959, don't want to confuse anyone.

We are considering getting the owner to do some type of restoration.
   We had a quote on the paint and they want $20k for total strip down and paint. Don't know if the owner will want to fork out $50k or so for a Restoration. He may just want to find an AC Lover who wants to do that themselves. We are still trying to evaluate the car, like Jay said "it's tricky".

jamey

• View Profile
Need Some Resources
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2011, 02:59:54 »
ID# on Trunk hinge.

nikbj68

• View Profile
Need Some Resources
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2011, 14:05:04 »
Hi Jamey. Does the registration document say first registered 1959, or manufactured 1959?
   It`s not really important, as you can now quote the 'ex-works' date above, but the rest of the ad title needs to change. [;)]

Honestly, If it were me selling the car, I`d rather make sure the mechanicals are all in good shape and have a lower selling price than throw money at it that you might not recover in the 'premium' price.
   Let the buyer have a car that they can 'make their own'.
   Patina can be worn as a badge of pride for some, in the same way that glass-like paint & faultelss chrome is to others.
   If you can find history, for example when the colour changed to red, when the V8 went in, if it was ever raced etc... these could all be plus-points to some potential owners.
   Good luck with it, whichever route is taken. [:D]

AEX566

• View Profile
Need Some Resources
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2011, 19:57:30 »
Janey;
   Would be useful before investing in cosmetic restoration to let us all see clear, detailed pictures of the undercarriage of the Ace.  I question whether the rear has remained unchanged, as well as the brakes, steering and  other items.  It's worth pulling apart the running gear to be sure there isn't hardened grease and worn bushings after 50+ years.

Here in America, there's nothing the matter with an Ace having an engine transplant, it probably kept the car from being scrapped in the '60's, and as long as daddy doesn't buy it as a graduation present for a 17 year old, it should give good reliable service with readily available parts.
   Art

jamey

• View Profile
Need Some Resources
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2011, 03:38:00 »
Hello again,
   I have some much better pictures of the ACE now.
   They can be found at:
   http://gallery.me.com/viptuningpro.com#102249&view=grid&bgcolor=black&sel=23

I also have some underneath shots that will be up soon.

Thanks everyone for all the feedback and information.[:D]