Author Topic: Need Some Resources  (Read 6799 times)

jamey

• View Profile
Need Some Resources
« on: April 27, 2011, 17:02:27 »
We just got a 1959 AC Bristol Cobra. Well that is what the owner called it. We don't know if that's correct and have been researching for days to find out if it's all original. It has a V8 ford engine in it. Don't think that's the original engine. Need some help identifying, there are no id numbers anywhere. Any resources for parts and information/feedback would be great. We are in CA. I have a bunch of pictures if anyone wants to help. Thanks

nikbj68

• View Profile
Need Some Resources
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 22:32:27 »
Hi Jamey & welcome.
   Any information you can give us will help to identify your car. For example, what`s the body made out of, what sort of suspension & steering does it have? The more you tell us, the better!
   Please post a few photos here, that will be  a start.(Instructions HERE should you need them.)
   Actually, we`ve already got a start. The name Cobra wasn`t applied to an AC until 1962, An AC Ace Bristol would have had a Bristol straight 6 originally. What is the chassis number on your registration documents?

jrlucke

• View Profile
Need Some Resources
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 01:17:15 »
I believe the initial Cobra Ford V8 build was around February 1962.

The Bristol engined car ID would begin with BE (UK RHD cars) or BEX (export LHD cars) and I believe in addition to the ID plate affixed to the footbox in the engine compartment, the chassis number should be stamped in various locations such as hood and door hinges, frame rails, etc.

There is a fairly good selection of photos of various cars, ID plates, suspension components, undersides, etc. in the "Sold Cars" section of the Fantasy Junction website (http://www.fantasyjunction.com/carsSold).

John

bex316

• View Profile
    • BEX316
Need Some Resources
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 01:46:54 »
Is this the car we are talking about?

Jerry

aex125

• View Profile
Need Some Resources
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 06:07:40 »
Jamey,
   There should be a 4 digit number on the hood hinge, door hinge, and trunk hinge. With this number we can probably tell you what it started life as. If you want you can call me at 805 969-1841 and I can better describe where the numbers will be. Also, if the pics posted are of the car in question, the emblems would suggest it was powered by an AC engine originally which would make it an AEX#### car.
   Jay

jamey

• View Profile
Need Some Resources
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 16:06:37 »
Hi Guys,

I want to thank everyone for all the help. You guys are great.

Yes those are the pictures of the car we have.
   I did find #457 on the trunk hinge. So if it's an AEX 457 then
   it should have a 6 cylinder in it, is that correct?
   How bad does it devalue the car if the engine has been swapped out?

Once again, Thanks everyone.

nikbj68

• View Profile
Need Some Resources
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 16:19:20 »
Having checked the register, AEX457 left the factory on the 28th of July 1958 with an AC engine,(CL type, 2 litre, straight 6) painted white with black interior.
   If it was a Bristol-engined car that was minus it`s engine, the drop in value may be greater, but it all depends on history... if you can find evidence of it being raced in period with the V8 for example... you`ve only just started on your journey... check out the 'BEX333' thread for investigative persistence!
   Best of luck, and please show us photos when you have some!

Robin A Woolmer

• View Profile
Need Some Resources
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2011, 18:38:35 »
If you are going to replace the engine would it not be nicer to put a proper AC Engine back in the car?

Robin

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
Need Some Resources
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2011, 19:14:30 »
Jamey

If you check out Auctions over the past few years Aces have proved to be a good investment,  Aces with matching number engine/gearbox and chassis number and in good fettle sell well.

The Bristol engined version has always been substantialy more valuable more desirably, as the Bristol engine has more power a proven race history in England, USA and Europe it opens doors to
   many international events.

If you restored two Aces to the same standard but cobra-ised (V8) one, the stock one would sell more easily and raise a better return. The V8 version would not be as desirable, it would not be a Ace or a Cobra, so you would be better off building a Cobra Kit...[:(]

Invest some time, effort and money!.  If only for general road use source and fit a Straight 6 AC engine.  If you intend to use it in period competition fit a Bristol 100D or 100D2 engine.

If you are pushed financially fit a Ford 2.6 engine with Raymond Mayes heads and triple SUs or better still triple Webers and couple to a period ford  gearbox or a Volvo Amazon gearbox. and sell the V8 and manual Box.

As the Cobra developed over the years the Chassis, Suspension and Brakes were upgraded accordingly.

Return it to Stock as it left Thames Ditton in 1958/9 and ENJOY !!  .. [:)]

Good luck with the project,,, Chassis numbers are on Engine Mount,  Hinges ( Bonnet / boot and Doors) underside of Seats, behind dash board.. etc. ..  .. If you can find a few more  stamped numbers ....... then you have  AEX457 ..[?]

If so please contact Tim Isles the Official AC Ace Registrar.

Keith

bex316

• View Profile
    • BEX316
Need Some Resources
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2011, 20:08:49 »
In addition to Nik's information 2 more details drawn from the register i.e. the factory production ledger: original AC engine number CL 2366 and car shipped new to K and H Blackman, Ca, USA.
   Interesting to see that another source (Automobile Quarterly archives) state Jay Chamberlain Inc, Los Angeles. It also tells the hood and tonneau were black as well.

Jerry

aex125

• View Profile
Need Some Resources
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2011, 21:17:45 »
All,
   I think Jamey is a dealer that is planning on selling the car and is trying to understand it value for that. I could be wrong, but since it is at the link below, I am guessing the plan is to sell it

http://vipmotors.us/inventory.html

At the link go to page 3 and scroll down and you will see more pics.

Jamey, as the owner of a V8 Ace conversion, I have found establishing the value is a bit tricky. I do know there was a V8 powered Ace for sale in Az earlier this year and the asking price was $125K, but I am not sure if it sold, or how its condition would compare to what you have. Just out of curiosity,what V8/tranny is in it and do you have some pics of the engine bay? It looks to be a Ford shifter, but I have seen those adapted to non Ford trannys.

Jay

jamey

• View Profile
Need Some Resources
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2011, 23:47:44 »
We are a consignment dealership and plan on finding a happy owner that loves the beauty and history of the car. The seller is getting rid of a collection of cars he has and this is one of them.
   Yes, it is very tricky trying to evaluate the car. I do have more pictures I will upload on the forum.
   Thanks for all the help![:D]

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
Need Some Resources
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2011, 01:11:48 »
Jamey

Being a Dealer,  Any chance of confirming details on any AC Aces you have traded over the years, Any data and pictures always welcome  to complement and maintain accurate records on Each Ace produced from 1953 / 1963...[;)]

Might even confirm existence of one or two that have slipped off the radar...[:)]

Keith

jamey

• View Profile
Need Some Resources
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2011, 16:23:50 »
Here are some more pictures, not the greatest. I will post some more too.

jamey

• View Profile
Need Some Resources
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2011, 16:50:19 »
Here's a link to the photos.
   http://photobucket.com/ACPhotos