Author Topic: spinner removal  (Read 16654 times)

Ian surrey

• View Profile
spinner removal
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2007, 22:02:29 »
Hello, I have just completed a spinner tool with a friend. I have an Elan, however our tool has been designed to work with larger spinners as well. I would be pleased to meet up (I live 3 miles from M25 J10) to see if our tool is compatible with your wheels. Beer would be provided!

The links below demonstrate its operation.

Cheers,

Ian

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdKL9iYITss
   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHxof3v-rPg

keithjecks

• View Profile
spinner removal
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2007, 22:27:35 »
Interesting tool, and I like the use of Youtube to demonstrate. Wasn't so impressed with the fact that the Elan's wheels seem to be on the wrong way round though! The action of driving the car will tend to loosen them, rather than (as in an AC) tighten them!

Jan_AC_MKIV_1227

• View Profile
spinner removal
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2007, 22:50:08 »
wow, i would love to see if that solves my problem, very cool idea

Ian surrey

• View Profile
spinner removal
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2007, 23:00:26 »
Ace 4.6,

In Elan circles everyone else's wheels are on the wrong way round! It is something to do with the hub design which I once understood for about 4 seconds. They tighten up nicely though belive me!

Thanks for your interest.

Ian

cobham cobra

• View Profile
spinner removal
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2007, 11:53:47 »
quote:
Originally posted by Ian surrey

Hello, I have just completed a spinner tool with a friend. I have an Elan, however our tool has been designed to work with larger spinners as well. I would be pleased to meet up (I live 3 miles from M25 J10) to see if our tool is compatible with your wheels. Beer would be provided!

The links below demonstrate its operation.

Cheers,

Ian

Hi Ian,
   I'm in Cobham (J10 - M25) where are you? I have a MkIV with brass spinners. Your invention looks interesting, please let me know if you want to check out your spinner removal tool on a three eared spinner. Is it in production yet and how much is it ?
   Cheers - John.

SB7019

• View Profile
spinner removal
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2007, 16:43:23 »
John.    Looks brilliant!  If it works on yours can you please sign me up for one as well?

cobham cobra

• View Profile
spinner removal
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2007, 17:24:51 »
Hi Peter,
   Yes no problem I'll let you know how it goes. I guess it will either work or I'll need some new spinners [:)]
   Cheers - John.

nikbj68

• View Profile
spinner removal
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2007, 17:17:29 »
What a well thought out piece of kit! Hope it works on Cobs..... I reckon it would sell pretty well.

cobham cobra

• View Profile
spinner removal
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2007, 10:08:21 »
FYI, update on the spinner removal tool. I met with Ian at the weekend and tried his invention on my MKIV. It was not a good enough fit on the spinner so Ian took some measurements and is going to modify his design and we will try again in a few weeks. It looked to be a solid well thought out bit of kit and once it is changed to fit on a Cobra spinner I think it will be a popular solution. Ian gave me a demo on his Elan and it looked really straight forward and simple. Does anyone know what the torque setting should be ? I've been told anywhere from 220 to 400 lbs. Will let you know when we make more progress. - John.

SB7019

• View Profile
spinner removal
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2007, 15:52:44 »
John.  Thanks for the update.  Sounds promising and should pay for itself in taking away the need to reburbish the wheels after the battering they take when the copper mallet misses the spinninr and hits the rim.  Not sure what the torque setting is.  At the moment I just keep bashing away until I either drop from exhaustion or there is no more movement.

Japanalysist

• View Profile
spinner removal
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2007, 01:57:18 »
Gregg, that is a brilliant tool, and like all brilliant tools it has a high "why didn't I think of that?" factor.  I've seen beautiful machined aluminum sockets over here in Japan designed to accomplish the same job but at seven times the price.

Thanks for posting that!
   Rob

jbottini

• View Profile
spinner removal
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2007, 15:08:59 »
Hi...that looks better than a tool I obtained from Finish Line...Keep all posted...even with "anti seize" the problem never goes away entirely. jim

Jan_AC_MKIV_1227

• View Profile
spinner removal
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2007, 01:00:34 »
I still have not removed my wheels, so I would buy one !

gblue

• View Profile
spinner removal
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2007, 04:45:32 »
Japanalysist.....the tool works great for any 3-eared spinner..... I sent one to ALAN FAULKNER-STEVENS and hope to hear from him soon......Gregg

cobham cobra

• View Profile
spinner removal
« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2007, 11:18:46 »
You may remember "Ian Surrey" posted on this topic in early February and I met with him to test his new spinner tool on my MkIV. The tool did not fit well because "our" spinners are more dished than most other cars, so Ian took measurements and went off to modify the tool. FYI he intends to bring his latest version to the club AGM at the Barley Mow on 22nd April. So if you plan on attending the AGM he would appreciate the opportunity to try the tool on a few of our cars.
   Thanks - John.