Author Topic: spinner removal  (Read 16559 times)

Jan_AC_MKIV_1227

• View Profile
spinner removal
« on: December 17, 2006, 23:37:34 »
hello all,
      well took a few whacks with the hammer and the wing did not budge, on the passenger side do I remove clockwise?  (right), basically the same direction as the wheel would spin??  Am I missing something or are the spinners just a pain in the axx to get off?

any advice is appreciated here, I never removed one before.

jan

jbottini

• View Profile
spinner removal
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2006, 23:50:41 »
Jan, Assuming your US car is lhd, you remove the spinner by wacking the ear at the 12:00 o'clock position by hitting it so as to turn anti clockwise or towards the rear. lefty loosey on pass side remember? It may take quite a few wacks going arround the cicumference before you get any lossness. Try a little wd 40 or penetrating oil. LAST resort is heating the spinner, NOT THE SHAFT, gently to get it to expand .

jbottini

• View Profile
spinner removal
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2006, 01:19:24 »
Jan, refer to my earlier post as well, You must take the majority of weight off the wheel, full weight causes wheel to press outward into spinner...making it tighter. I probably went arround mine counterclockwise  for 6 wacks per ear, each ear 2-3 wacks per time with minisclule moovement. they don't seem to just loosen and spin off with one hit. I've also used the tool that finishline sells...difficult with that as well, but broke a recalitrant one loose.

jbottini

• View Profile
spinner removal
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2006, 01:38:21 »
Jim needs to apologise.  jim must read more carefully..lefty lossey, anticlockwise on US drivers side, Righty lossey clockwise on US passenger side to remove the spinners or knock ons as they are properly called.

Mark IV

• View Profile
spinner removal
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2006, 02:01:31 »
"But in Alabama the Tusks are loosa"     "I shot an elephant in my pyjamas, what he was doing in my pyjamas, I'll never know"
   Ar, ar, ar....Jim needs to apologise. jim must read more carefully. Yes, you must.

God, I love having the God-given right to pass judgement upon others!!!!

Rick

jbottini

• View Profile
spinner removal
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2006, 02:39:33 »
Richard,
   lay off the wine!
   jim

Mark IV

• View Profile
spinner removal
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2006, 02:55:43 »
quote:
Originally posted by jbottini

lay off the wine!
   jim

And just why on God's green earth would I want to do that?

"Noah, Plant a vineyard....."

I am personally keeping a large number of grape-pickers employed. My own little contibution to the economy. I can't solve the Iraqi problem but I can keep several Mexican field workers in Dos Eqquis and Wal-Mart apparel.

What a warm human being............

Rick[:D]

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
spinner removal
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2006, 11:51:25 »
I'm not getting involved with politics, but I would love a case or two of your Wine ??  Homebrew / Mooonshine.... Woteva   Hic, Hic....

Getting back to the point,  All spinners / Hub nuts have a direction arrow and must point forward,  they therefore tighten as the wheels rotate in a forward direction. (all splines have codes which indicate wether they are to be fitted to the left or right side of the vehicle)

Prior to any long trip or going onto the race track give each spinner a wack with a copper mallet.  With the Nuts in Cobras, No , No,  I mean with the Big nuts on Cobra Wheels it is best to loosen them, then re-tighten them regularly as they tend to seize and can be a right bugger to get off.

On Ace Wire wheels, The continual tightening can cause weakness in the Thread area, so inspect regularly, for those lucky lads with spinners and  Genuine Halibrands lock wire on from one or two ears. Not just to keep them on whilst driving but to stop the blighters nicking them.

Now I must get back to my contribution to employment and wake up Santa !

Best Wishes to All AC enthusiasts for a Merry (hic ) Christmas and a Very Happy, Healthy & Prosperous New Year.........Enjoy !!

Keith

Alan Faulkner-Stevens

• View Profile
spinner removal
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2006, 20:25:00 »
Guys, your views on the release of wheels spinners is very interting, having just converted my CRS Cobra from 16inch wheels down to 15inch wheels. My car has the Factory three eared spinners and despite carefull cleaning and lubrication of both respective internal and external thread when assembling, I have always had huge difficulties in getting the bloody things undone!!!
   You do undo them in the forward direction of the wheel which ever side of the car you are on. My car came as standard with a substantial Snap-On dead blow hammer which I never found good enough, so early on it was replaced with a Hickory handled copper and leather 2lb hammer. This generally worked but took some substantial effort and in the end the hard hickory handle usually caused some severe blisters...no comments please. However after getting only three of the cars spinners undone this time my 2lb just couldn't do it. So I purchased the same manufacture of hammer but the 4lb version, somewhat more sunstantial.
   However after giving the spinner what can only be descbided as a dam good thrashing, not only did it refuse to release but actually snapped one of the ears clean off. Now I really was in trouble. Only one course of action which was to rotate the wheel and try on another ear, this time it came free, but had cost me a spinner.
   Has anybody out there found a lubricant/grease for the hub and spinner threads which just doesn't dry up after a few miles driving?
   A happy Holiday to all AC Owners where ever you may be, Alan Faulkner-Stevens

ak1234

• View Profile
spinner removal
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2006, 23:37:48 »
Alan ... as you may remember I also broke one ear off my brass 3 wing spinner...in which I had reordered one from you about 3 years back.  The trick I found is once you get them removed ..reinstall them with NEVER SIEZE compound.  Also a WACK! on all three spinners while rotating the wheel I find is the TRICK.

Oh ..thanks for your help in the past.

Ron Lombardo NY

jbottini

• View Profile
spinner removal
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2006, 01:51:33 »
I've been told.."never grease/oil the threads...always clean threads on hub and inside knock on with tooth brush and grease remover, dry and put on never or anti or no seize on both surfaces. after install and ssafety wire wipe the exposed end of hub."

nikbj68

• View Profile
spinner removal
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2006, 18:21:55 »
Never tried it on wheels, but the anti-seize compound that I use here in work is "ROCOL J166".
   High load, high temp(1100*C)and a pretty coppery colour!
   Nik.

gblue

• View Profile
spinner removal
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2006, 19:57:22 »
Aloha...here's a 4 inch $35 socket I cut to remove my spinners and I use a reducer tool or a long pipe on my socket bar....works like a charm and doesn't abuse the ears.....just used a grinder to cut the slots out and caulked rubber hose to finish it off....3/4 inch drive socket and I reduced it to 1/2 inch.....Gregg Blue

Alan Faulkner-Stevens

• View Profile
spinner removal
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2006, 21:42:22 »
Greg, Thank you for the advice and picture. I'm off to the parts store tommorrow to order the 4inch socket. I'll follow your blue-print and let you know how I get on, Alan.

Jan_AC_MKIV_1227

• View Profile
spinner removal
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2006, 19:03:06 »
Hello all,  first and foremost a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you all, it has been great meeting all of you through this forum.

as for the car, I got the battery out my jacking the car and turning the wheel BUT the spinner is really frozen.  I will get if off someway, some day, probably using my uncle and his lift with some penetrating oil and maybe some heat...

anyway, at least I can start and run the car !!!

Jan