Author Topic: BEX 477  (Read 2621 times)

riverside

• View Profile
BEX 477
« on: April 01, 2011, 04:05:09 »
I had never heard of the Zagoto bodied AC chassis before I read  'AC in detail' by Rinsey Mills.This has to be on top of "The cars I want to own " list
   Does this car still exist? If so, where? Colour? Pictures?
   The book by the way is exceptional
   Ross

bex316

• View Profile
    • BEX316
BEX 477
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 10:16:17 »
Yes it does still exist, is red in colour, in great shape and owned by well known AC restorer Jim Feldman in Portland, Oregon.
   I remember he wrote an article in ACOC club bulletin ACtion several years ago about his long desire to own it and finally realizing this dream at an auction at the German Nurburgring track. This auction focused on several Zagato bodied cars.
   I believe this was about 10 years ago.
   Being a unique car it has been featured in more magazine articles over the years.
   Jim has probably one of the biggest AC collections in the world so this unique car made a most welcome though (at that time) quite expensive addition!

By the way, this isn't April Fools' day??? Zagoto???
   Yes, I would like to own it too as well as probably many other people!

Jerry

PS Forgot to mention this car is chassis BEX 477

nikbj68

• View Profile
BEX 477
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 12:24:36 »
I found some excellent photos of this car for you!

(Click pic to visit gallery on VIPCAR.com

riverside

• View Profile
BEX 477
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 14:31:06 »
Thank you and apologeez for the spellink
   Ross

AEX566

• View Profile
BEX 477
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 23:54:02 »
I know it's April Fool's Day but, in this man's opinion, the Zagato coupe body is a mishmash of hackneyed Italian ornamentation. If the Hurlocks had offered this instead of the Aceca's svelte, unified design, I doubt they would have sold 20 examples in America.
   I first saw the car at the Rosso Bianco collection in Aschaffenburg, lined up along side what was then the world's finest collection of sports and racing cars.  The Zagato looked out of place, like a hot rod creation grafted from body parts pulled from a Italian junk yard, never to do more than cruise down to the local malt shop. So Jim Feldman, if you're reading this (I know he hates the internet) how 'bout stripping off that silly body and put back the sybaritic design it originally bore?
   Art