Author Topic: Ace rear brake shoe return springs  (Read 432 times)

bbrown

• View Profile
Ace rear brake shoe return springs
« on: November 21, 2023, 21:51:47 »
I am servicing the rear brakes on BEX239 and I have a question about the brake shoe return springs.

A previous ACOC post regarding rear brakes and the orientation of the shoes contained a photo that showed 2 different brake return springs are used.  I will post the Photo. 

The Girling Service Bulletin dated February 1959 in the ACOC members area also refers to the fact 2 different brake springs were used, a short one and a long one.

However, when I consulted my 1968 Girling spares book, it only lists one part number for the brake return springs, namely GB2453.

My car came with identical springs for both locations, so it conforms to the later Girling literature.

Do any of the long time owners know if this was a simple parts rationalization on the part of Girling to do away with 2 different part numbers and settle on just one or was there some sort of design change along the way that resulted in two identical springs?

Thanks,
Bert Brown
Danville CA

James Eastwood

• View Profile
Re: Ace rear brake shoe return springs
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2023, 17:57:20 »
Hi Bert,

I can't answer the question but can confirm your shoe layout and common springs are identical to mine.

I wonder if the answer might be driven by any differences of front to rear, if the front used twin leading shoes (I have disks).

JE