Author Topic: AC Bristol Vibration  (Read 681 times)

eickelbeck

• View Profile
AC Bristol Vibration
« on: October 25, 2023, 23:41:43 »
I am the relatively recent owner of AC Bristol BEX 1019. The car was fully restored in 2017 but had not properly road tested before I purchased the car in early 2021. After undertaking substantial efforts to cure various ills the car had, one of the remaining issues I have is a vibration that radiates thru the car when it approaches 65-70 mph. The vibration is not consistent at that speed and seems to be initiated with high speed cornering. The wire wheels have been balanced but have not been checked for trueness. Look forward to any comments or thoughts on a possible solution.

nicksonsticks

• View Profile
Re: AC Bristol Vibration
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2023, 20:08:39 »
Hi,
A few things you could check which might cause your vibration.
Wheel balance, has this been done correctly? it's important that the wheel is held on the balancer by the taper as the central flat face is not true.
Prop shaft UJ's are another possibility, check for wear / play and check alignment of the UJ's. Distorted wheels or loose spokes are another possibility, this could be checked when the wheels are on the balancer. Also distorted or bulges in tyres are another. Check the dates on the  tyres also.
Just a few quick things to check without getting too involved.
Hope this helps a bit.
Nick

eickelbeck

• View Profile
Re: AC Bristol Vibration
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2023, 03:59:33 »
Thanks for the feedback, will check all of the above.