Author Topic: BE 646  (Read 210595 times)

dkp_cobra

• View Profile
Re: BE 646
« Reply #405 on: December 17, 2022, 12:17:20 »

SpqrEddie

• View Profile
« Reply #406 on: December 19, 2022, 13:30:20 »
Thank you!
Eddie

dkp_cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #407 on: February 09, 2023, 17:34:01 »
Daddy got a new toy: a set of dimple dies  8)

I had to test them at three panels.

Together they are a bracket for the expansion tank.

Installation in the car:

Klassik Metall

• View Profile
« Reply #408 on: February 09, 2023, 18:26:45 »
Hi Peter,

That looks like a header tank rather than an expansion tank. Can I ask why you're fitting one?

Regards, Luke.

dkp_cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #409 on: February 09, 2023, 18:58:02 »
Hi Luke,
I have a stupid question: what is the difference between a header and an expansion tank?
I want to switch from an open to a closed cooling water system. The standard radiator is closed on the top. The old radiator cap is only a fake. So, I need an expansion tank and that will be the Harrison tank.
Regards, Peter

Klassik Metall

• View Profile
« Reply #410 on: February 10, 2023, 06:33:55 »
If the radiator cap doesn't work then I understand the function of the header tank.
A pressurised header tank sits at the highest point in the cooling system to maintain
the coolant level and acts as an air bleed for the cooling system.
An expansion tank is connected to the filler neck vent tube. It's purpose is to contain
expanded hot coolant forced past the pressure cap whilst the engine is running. Upon
cooling down the coolant is drawn back into the radiator via the same route.

dkp_cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #411 on: March 04, 2023, 18:52:56 »
The heater valve

and together with all the hoses including those for the cooling system

The pullswitches for the heater water and air valve and the valves for fresh air in the footboxes. Above the hazard switch.

I also finished the fuel line for the three carburetors. In the middle an electric fuel pressure sensor is installed.

dkp_cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #412 on: May 20, 2023, 18:50:23 »
It's a quite long time ago that I posted some pictures of the progress of my Aceca. The reason is that I spent a lot of time in the upgrading of my house. I'm a slave of my own house, how sad ...
But some little things still happened. The installation of the speedo cable:

The exhaust headers I build some years ago are not really perfect. There is to less space to the throttle control arm:

I shortened them at the input flanch, used a better flanch design and bent the down going pipe a little bit. It is only a little bit here and there but at the end everything fits a little bit better. But it took a lot of time.

Every owner of an Aceca knows this view of the opened boot lid: the dropped right side.

Of course this can be overcome with a second boot lid stay. I order two new stays to be sure that they have the same length and constructed new stainless steel brackets (below, above the original ones).

Two new wood shims covered with leather. Originally it was only covered with leatherette.

I think this looks quite better and the opend bood lid is much more stable.

Last but not least I could install the linkage between the throttle pedal and the carburettor.

dkp_cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #413 on: May 25, 2023, 17:31:53 »
David sent me an update of the table of content and the subject index. Thank you.

TTM

• View Profile
« Reply #414 on: May 26, 2023, 06:57:45 »
Did you not soak the manifolds' wrap in water prior to installation?

dkp_cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #415 on: May 26, 2023, 08:10:58 »
Did you not soak the manifolds' wrap in water prior to installation?
Oh no, I forgot it  :-\
When I used them at the MK IV I soaked the wrap. After the first drive I had the feeling that the car will burn down. This time I forgot it but I used different wrap. I have to check whether it is necessary with this type of wrap.
Thank you for mention this.

TTM

• View Profile
« Reply #416 on: May 26, 2023, 08:40:59 »
In order to reduce under bonnet temperatures I would always recommend ceramic-coating inside and out as much as possible of an exhaust set up, at least the manifolds. Exhaust wrap is a good minimum with mild steel tubes although I personnally do not like it as it can trap moisture and accelerate corrosion, depending on the use of the car. It is certainly fine for a full race car but not so on a road car, in my opinion.

A friend who is nearing the completion of a full mechanical restoration on a Dino 246 GTS commented that the stainless steel manifolds he installed had a tendency to gleam red hot under certain running conditions. He will wrap them but I suspect that the stainless (thus very hard) nature of the steel used will not help and that the wrapping will do more harm than good over the long term.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2023, 08:49:06 by TTM »

dkp_cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #417 on: June 11, 2023, 07:56:48 »
This time I wrapped the exhaust with wet tap. Again, thank you for mentioning it.

And some leather work (dry work  :) ).

TTM

• View Profile
« Reply #418 on: June 13, 2023, 09:21:59 »
Is it a lambda sensor in one of the manifolds?

dkp_cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #419 on: June 13, 2023, 16:07:02 »
Is it a lambda sensor in one of the manifolds?
Yes, it is.