Author Topic: BE 646  (Read 208841 times)

nikbj68

• View Profile
BE 646
« Reply #75 on: May 15, 2012, 20:20:58 »
Now that, my friend, is how to do restoration! Great to follow your efforts, and admire your results! [8)]

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
BE 646
« Reply #76 on: May 16, 2012, 00:14:58 »
[:)][:)][:)]

dkp_cobra

• View Profile
BE 646
« Reply #77 on: May 18, 2012, 20:06:30 »
The overhauling of the wiper unit is nearly finished. How it looked before:

Since the tubes were rusty I powder coated them.

The wiper wheelboxes got new gaskets. What is missing is a new chromium coating of the outer brezel.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 12:03:10 by dkp_cobra »

dkp_cobra

• View Profile
BE 646
« Reply #78 on: May 24, 2012, 14:28:09 »
Today, it's a little bit like christmas. New parts arrived. I bought a repro Lucas washer bottle. You can see that's a reproduction but it's much better than the plastic bottles available so far. It looks nice:

And I got new drive shafts. The old were damaged and I wanted new drive shafts which are strong enough for the new engine. From left to right: original MK IV, new Aceca, original Aceca. I think I can tune up the engine a little bit before the new drive shafts say "no" [:)]

« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 12:04:11 by dkp_cobra »

Klassik Metall

• View Profile
BE 646
« Reply #79 on: May 25, 2012, 07:58:46 »
Sorry if this is a bit late for your project but it may be of help to others, the correct Metalastik bushes for the Aceca diff housing are available from Brian Eacott. They are fitted as pairs so six are needed in all.

Regards Luke.

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
BE 646
« Reply #80 on: May 25, 2012, 19:25:12 »
Peter,

I may plan a trip to Holland in the winter or spring of next year. More than likely will visit Berit and her family. Would love to come and check out your cars!! Maybe we can hook up sometime?

Gus

dkp_cobra

• View Profile
BE 646
« Reply #81 on: May 26, 2012, 10:45:04 »
quote:
Originally posted by Gus Meyjes

Peter,

I may plan a trip to Holland in the winter or spring of next year. More than likely will visit Berit and her family. Would love to come and check out your cars!! Maybe we can hook up sometime?

Gus

Gus,

that sounds great but I am afraid that a "check out" of my cars in winter (or spring what is nearly the same here [xx(]) is not possible. But I read that you love to look at these vars. That won't be a problem [:D]

Peter

dkp_cobra

• View Profile
BE 646
« Reply #82 on: May 26, 2012, 10:58:29 »
Originally posted by Klassik Metall

Sorry if this is a bit late for your project but it may be of help to others, the correct Metalastik bushes for the Aceca diff housing are available from Brian Eacott. They are fitted as pairs so six are needed in all.

Regards Luke.

Hi Luke,

thank you for your notice. Never mind that is too late for me because I couldn't use the original bushes anyway. The original bushes have a much bigger o.d. than the new one:

(the white PE bush is only for construction purposes)

The smaller bushes allows me to lower the differential case:

and that's necessary because the JAG diff. case is much higher than the ENV case. I have nearly no space on top:

Currently, I have no idea how to make the upper bracket.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 14:14:34 by dkp_cobra »

AcecaRacer

• View Profile
BE 646
« Reply #83 on: June 04, 2012, 07:05:06 »
Hi,

Could you please tell me where you got the "new" Aceca Axles?  I just blew up my second stub axle and the one's you have look like they are much more stout.

Are the a direct replacement for the stock originals?  They looks so.

Please advise ASAP!

Thanks SO much for sharing this rebuild...Extremely helpful.

Cheers,
   Rob Fisher
   BE603 - Racecar

dkp_cobra

• View Profile
BE 646
« Reply #84 on: June 04, 2012, 12:48:52 »
quote:
Originally posted by AcecaRacer

Hi,

Could you please tell me where you got the "new" Aceca Axles?  I just blew up my second stub axle and the one's you have look like they are much more stout.

Are the a direct replacement for the stock originals?  They looks so.

Please advise ASAP!

Thanks SO much for sharing this rebuild...Extremely helpful.

Cheers,
   Rob Fisher
   BE603 - Racecar

Hi Rob,

yes, they are a direct replacement with the only difference that the holes for the bolts are not 3/8" but M10, so they are 0,4 mm bigger. That should be ok or just use M10 bolts.

I got them from these guys EDS Driveshaft. The article number is:

The detailed description:

FLM SAE 97/04-10,2
   LZ=280

I guess that the 10,2 means the bolt diameter. They have a company in USA. Hope this helps. If not, please contact me.

Regards,

Peter

Klassik Metall

• View Profile
BE 646
« Reply #85 on: June 04, 2012, 16:46:09 »
Hello Rob,

If you are also looking for a heavy duty replacement for the stub axle/hub assembly, then a
   stronger version that does away with the problematic taper and keyway arrangement, is now available from Nigel Winchester ( Tel. 0044 7831 433 100).

He has an advert for these parts in this months ACtion.

Best regards Luke.

AcecaRacer

• View Profile
BE 646
« Reply #86 on: June 05, 2012, 01:30:48 »
Outstanding!  Thanks very much.  Looks like it's exactly what I need.

Cheers,
   Rob

Aceca289

• View Profile
BE 646
« Reply #87 on: June 06, 2012, 07:29:44 »
quote:
Originally posted by Klassik Metall

Hello Rob,

If you are also looking for a heavy duty replacement for the stub axle/hub assembly, then a
   stronger version that does away with the problematic taper and keyway arrangement, is now available from Nigel Winchester ( Tel. 0044 7831 433 100).

He has an advert for these parts in this months ACtion.

Best regards Luke.

Luke,

Thanks for pointing out the new splined stub axels that Nigel Winchester is supplying (I paged right by them this month). These certainly look like they will remedy the problem. I have two stub axel paper weights (broken clean where the keyway ends) in a box of spare parts my dad gave me with my car, and one axel removed from my car during restoration was nearing failure with the keyway enlarged to nearly twice the normal width.[:(] This is understandable with the hipo 289 I have producing about 270 hp, or a race prepared Bristol powered Aceca like Rob’s. The stub axels are certainly a weak link in the Ace / Aceca design.

Rob,

You will have to let me know how the new sub axels from Nigel perform. It was good to meet up with you last weekend at the Sonoma Historic Motorsports Festival…Sorry to hear you had problems on Sunday. Hope your back in the running for the Monterey Historics in August.[:)]

Best Regards,

John
   AEX 521

AcecaRacer

• View Profile
BE 646
« Reply #88 on: June 06, 2012, 23:22:28 »
Hi John -

It was indeed good to meet you as well.  Nice to find another ACECA owner here in the Bay Area.  I think that takes the count to 6 or 7!

I have been in touch with Nigel and will advise.  The price seems to be a bit dear, but may be worth it in the long run.

Stay tuned...

See you at Monterey!

Rob

dkp_cobra

• View Profile
BE 646
« Reply #89 on: June 15, 2012, 07:59:34 »
The horns still work after so many years.

The body is powder coated the fantail is bead blasted and clear coated:

I always dreamed of new stageless jacks. Now, I had the time to build a new set:

And yes, I made some small progress on the differential brackets. I hope I can do more on that this weekend:

« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 14:15:14 by dkp_cobra »