Author Topic: BE 646  (Read 210216 times)

3.8Jaguar

• View Profile
BE 646
« Reply #60 on: March 20, 2012, 17:06:18 »
I know its only a minor thing but sometimes these are the things that really infuriate! Your Tacho angle drive, It is a common over sight that tacho drive cables are manufactured to the direction of drive, if the direction of the wind of the cable is in the wrong direction it will try to unwind and eventually break.
   As I say its only a minor thing but easily forgotten.

We can manufacture inner cables with correct square drives and ferrules in the right direction for your drive average cost for a special is £25

www.bristolengineering.co.uk

dkp_cobra

• View Profile
BE 646
« Reply #61 on: March 22, 2012, 16:29:38 »
quote:
Originally posted by 3.8Jaguar

I know its only a minor thing but sometimes these are the things that really infuriate! Your Tacho angle drive, It is a common over sight that tacho drive cables are manufactured to the direction of drive, if the direction of the wind of the cable is in the wrong direction it will try to unwind and eventually break.
   As I say its only a minor thing but easily forgotten.

We can manufacture inner cables with correct square drives and ferrules in the right direction for your drive average cost for a special is £25

www.bristolengineering.co.uk

thank you for pointing to this problem. I guess this was really the mistake done with this transmission. I will replace the Moss Box by a Toploader. I don't know whether I will use a angle drive. Thank you for your offer.

dkp_cobra

• View Profile
BE 646
« Reply #62 on: March 22, 2012, 16:36:41 »
Removing the ENV differential and the drive shafts:

Comparing the ENV (left) and the Jag (right) differential. The Jag is not bigger but the flange of the drive shafts are much bigger. The weight difference is 7 kg (ENV: 39 kg; Jag: 46 kg).

This will be the next step: thinking about how the Jag differential will fit into the Aceca. I know it must work somehow since I saw such a conversion.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 11:52:19 by dkp_cobra »

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
BE 646
« Reply #63 on: March 22, 2012, 23:33:21 »
Peter,

I don't know what the geometry is of the Aceca, but there are brackets available to mount the Salisbury in an Ace/289. If you can't find anything I can link you up with some people on this side of the planet.

Gus

dkp_cobra

• View Profile
BE 646
« Reply #64 on: March 23, 2012, 18:45:31 »
quote:
Originally posted by Gus Meyjes

Peter,

I don't know what the geometry is of the Aceca, but there are brackets available to mount the Salisbury in an Ace/289. If you can't find anything I can link you up with some people on this side of the planet.

Gus

Gus,

I know these brackets. I think Kirkham offers these, but they don't work for Aceca's. To make new brackets is not the problem. The problem for me is to find a source for these big bounded bushes. So if anyone knows where I can buy these bounded metal bushes please let me know. Original these bushes are Metalastik 131860.

Peter

dkp_cobra

• View Profile
BE 646
« Reply #65 on: March 23, 2012, 18:51:06 »
Today, I had a closer look at the area around the right rear bumper and the panels covering the B-pillar. I think theses panels must be replaced.

The current weight of the car with front and rear axles without differential and drive shafts is 435 kg. I expected less but I am quite sure that half of the weight is the body filler [xx(]
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 11:53:23 by dkp_cobra »

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
BE 646
« Reply #66 on: March 23, 2012, 19:49:06 »
The bracket that holds the pinion may fit, Ron(my fabricator extraordinaire) had to fabricate a bracket to hold the rubber damper "tubes". I think he made a template. I'll ask him. The dampers were available here trough Sagebrush roadsters. I can email you an email and link.

Gus

Robin A Woolmer

• View Profile
BE 646
« Reply #67 on: March 23, 2012, 20:05:38 »
I do not know the size of the bonded bushes you require but try ' www.robush.co.uk ' they might be able to assist.

Robin

dkp_cobra

• View Profile
BE 646
« Reply #68 on: April 16, 2012, 14:55:22 »
The comparison of the differential weight was a little bit wrong. The ENV has already the mounting brackets the Jag not. So, the weight difference will be much bigger than 7 kg. We will see when the brackets are finished.

As mentioned before the flange for the drive shafts are bigger (too big):

They cannot turn in the frame of the car. So we will modify the Jag diff.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 11:53:56 by dkp_cobra »

dkp_cobra

• View Profile
BE 646
« Reply #69 on: May 03, 2012, 17:17:36 »
While I am thinking about how to make progress with the differentail case I have some time for minor things. The car had no heater so I bought a new heater from an MGA:

It works fine but I have the impression that the MGA heater is bigger than its engine ...

I also bought air inlet ducts from an MGA:

They have a bigger ID and a different angle than the original but I think that this would not be a problem.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 11:54:51 by dkp_cobra »

dkp_cobra

• View Profile
BE 646
« Reply #70 on: May 10, 2012, 13:29:12 »
Currently, I am working on the wiper motor. This Lucas DR3 is really fascinating with it's feature that in the park mode the wiper turns back not only to the normal park position but a little bit further by switching the rotation of the engine.

This DR3 unit works together with the Lucas PRS7 switch. The "AC Cobra Chassis Construction Book" contains at page 50 a wiring diagram for both units. That's fine but it describes which color (of the DR3 unit) must be connected to which number of the switch. My wires had all the same color: something between brown and mud black. I opened the unit and try to understand how this unit works.

Based on this quite useful link DR1 & DR3 wiper motor I made my own diagrams. What is different is the swaping of the red and brown wire and the connection to the switch are a little bit different.

We can see that in the park position the polarity of the coil field is switched, the polarity of the armature is still the same.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2020, 14:11:21 by dkp_cobra »

dkp_cobra

• View Profile
BE 646
« Reply #71 on: May 15, 2012, 10:18:41 »
The seat frames are back from powder coating and the aluminium panels are cleaned and the critical parts are enforced. Now, it's time for the saddler:
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 11:56:25 by dkp_cobra »

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
BE 646
« Reply #72 on: May 15, 2012, 14:57:00 »
Peter,

You sure keep moving on this thing. Can't wait to see it finished! Did you ever find the proper brackets for the diff? What we have is not the Kirkham stuff.

Gus

dkp_cobra

• View Profile
BE 646
« Reply #73 on: May 15, 2012, 19:59:02 »
Originally posted by Gus Meyjes</i>

Peter,

You sure keep moving on this thing. Can't wait to see it finished! Did you ever find the proper brackets for the diff? What we have is not the Kirkham stuff.

Gus

Gus,

I decide to make my own brackets. It took some time to find some bonded bushes and some pipes to take these. Now, I have all together. The bounded bushes have the same i.d. but a much smaller o.d. which makes them much stronger and gave me more space for the brackets. I hope the vibration absorption will be ok.

It wasn't so easy to find pipes with the correct size with a strong wall thickness. Even the local steel whole sale had to order it and I was forced to buy a complete standard length, i.e. 6 m!!! I only need 35 cm. So if anybody plans to make new brackets ...

Peter
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 14:13:52 by dkp_cobra »

dkp_cobra

• View Profile
BE 646
« Reply #74 on: May 15, 2012, 20:05:13 »
I got some other parts from the powder coating. The good old DB10 relay. Now, I can read the numbers again:

The wiper motor housing looks nice powder coated:

but I had to notice after assembling that it doesn't work anymore. There is so less space in the housing that the armature contacted the inside powder coating:

I removed it in this area:

Now, it works wonderful:
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 11:58:36 by dkp_cobra »