Author Topic: BE 646  (Read 208868 times)

Wolfy

• View Profile
BE 646
« Reply #255 on: August 15, 2016, 23:34:45 »
Excellent work very inspirational.

dkp_cobra

• View Profile
BE 646
« Reply #256 on: August 22, 2016, 16:47:43 »
I think the lower part of the door frame has a conceptional problem. The lower stabiliser is covered from below with a aluminium u-section. Water entering the door flows into this u-section and the wood above soaks the water by capillarity. The result is rot.

The lower stabiliser is definitely not repairable but the front panel can be repaired.

I used the wood from the door sill which was replaced by a steel construction.

The result:

« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 12:35:02 by dkp_cobra »

dkp_cobra

• View Profile
BE 646
« Reply #257 on: August 26, 2016, 16:43:41 »
The surgeon would call this a chip fracture.

But with a two component epoxy wood glue one can repair (nearly) everything.

On the right side the repaired right door skeleton, on the left side the left door skeleton in it's unrepaired state. The lower strut is still missing on the right door.

The following pictures shows the lower door construction without the wood strut. One can see that the water entering the door cannot drain and the wood strut lays in this water.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 12:35:24 by dkp_cobra »

dkp_cobra

• View Profile
BE 646
« Reply #258 on: September 08, 2016, 14:32:39 »
I replaced the wood in the lower section by a 1.5 mm z-profile aluminium. Triangular brackets connect this with the wood structs.

Not to forget the drain holes.

especially below the wood structs

Since the wood is not attached with the ground of the aluminium profile I hope it will not drain water again.

The old drain holes were not optimal. Be aware that this is the upper side.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 12:36:32 by dkp_cobra »

dkp_cobra

• View Profile
BE 646
« Reply #259 on: September 24, 2016, 14:11:01 »
Am I on the right way? The right door looks promising

but the rear lower edge peers 3 cm

The left door was always problematic.

Still a lot to do.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 12:36:49 by dkp_cobra »

minimans

• View Profile
BE 646
« Reply #260 on: September 25, 2016, 06:47:48 »
That's looking good but I wouldn't try for the perfect fit till it's on it's wheels, the frame and body will always move a bit when it's got the full weight on the ground.

dkp_cobra

• View Profile
BE 646
« Reply #261 on: September 25, 2016, 10:04:46 »
quote:
Originally posted by minimans

That's looking good but I wouldn't try for the perfect fit till it's on it's wheels, the frame and body will always move a bit when it's got the full weight on the ground.

That's a good advice. I made this mistake during my first project (a cobra replica http://accobra.npage.de/ac-cobra.html). A perfect alignment of the doors while the car was on the lifter but as soon as it was on its wheels the doors couldn't be closed. I nearly forgot this. Thank you for remembering [:)]

wenzeh

• View Profile
BE 646
« Reply #262 on: September 26, 2016, 09:00:04 »
Peter,

I would be surprised if that lower outboard gap should disappear when car is on it's wheels... as you will get bending on the frame, that should not give a 3 cm outboard movement at all.  I have never seen such thing, in fact, I would be very concerned driving such car.  In addition you did reinforce the tubes to minimize bending.
   On the other hand if that theory would be correct, don't paint the car as long it is not on wheels...otherwise paint will fall off when panels will be stressed / deformed by 3cm ;-)

dkp_cobra

• View Profile
BE 646
« Reply #263 on: October 18, 2016, 14:00:10 »
With some slight modification at the lower connection points the gap could be reduced to less than 1 cm. The final fitting will be done with the outer skin.

On the left hand side was a 3 mm metal plate welded on the above hinge holder.

After removing it the left door fits much better into the body.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 12:37:47 by dkp_cobra »

dkp_cobra

• View Profile
BE 646
« Reply #264 on: December 01, 2016, 18:48:18 »
I am still working on the doors and it starts to bore me. But this is the time for a good fitting. If everything is finished and painted it must fit, no chance to make changes then.

and the other side

Yesterday, both front side window frames lay side by side and I recognised for the first time that the handles are different. Does anybody know where I can buy these handles?

[
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 12:38:12 by dkp_cobra »

TTM

• View Profile
BE 646
« Reply #265 on: December 02, 2016, 09:45:19 »
Good morning,

Very interesting work.

Have you considered 3D-printing some structural parts instead of remaking them in wood?
   Plastic may not rot over time (!)

Klassik Metall

• View Profile
BE 646
« Reply #266 on: December 03, 2016, 13:17:19 »
Hi Peter,
   Good to see you are still making progress. I obtained a pair of brass castings for quarter light catches from the club spares scheme a couple of years ago. Hopefully there are still some left if you make contact. They are the same type as shown on the right hand frame in your photo.

Regards Luke.

dkp_cobra

• View Profile
BE 646
« Reply #267 on: December 03, 2016, 16:51:27 »
quote:
Originally posted by TTM

Good morning,

Very interesting work.

Have you considered 3D-printing some structural parts instead of remaking them in wood?
   Plastic may not rot over time (!)

Thomas,

yes, I thought already about 3D printing but to my view the wood construction for the door is fine since it's strong and flexiable as long as the water in the door can drain. The problematic section is the lower strut and I replaced that one by aluminium.

Below the windscreen pillar is a pice of wood. Maybe that's a good candidate for some 3D-printing.

Peter

dkp_cobra

• View Profile
BE 646
« Reply #268 on: December 15, 2016, 14:14:58 »
Now, it's time for the annual christmas riddle. As usual the first (and only) price is a cup of tea to be picked up in my garage.

The question is: what have these two cars in common?

One clue: "both are old engish cars" is not the answer I am looking for. Happy riddling [:)]

wenzeh

• View Profile
BE 646
« Reply #269 on: December 19, 2016, 15:02:16 »
The door handle....I would say