Author Topic: Iconic - Holy Moly  (Read 15163 times)

cobham cobra

• View Profile
Iconic - Holy Moly
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2011, 13:03:47 »
Gus,
   I don’t have a problem with the car, it’s obviously one man’s ideal or interpretation of what can be achieved with technology and money, but what is it’s connection with an AC/Shelby/Cobra ?
   It certainly isn’t a pretty car. In my view it is visually nothing more than a cartoon, caricature or pastiche of retro styling cues. The only reason it has any connection with AC is because the brand identity can be bought. AC don’t make cars at the moment,  Jaguar, Aston, Porsche or Ferrari do make cars, but don’t sell their logo to other car manufactures.

AC could just as easily sell the logo to a manufacturer of food processorS or laptops, it would have just as much or as little connection as it does with the Iconic.
   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYEoozsMQz4

If anything, I think the Iconic’s design and development are lessened by linking it to AC and clothing it in a caricature body. The AC link to the package just does not add any value or kudos. Would it not have been better for the Iconic brand to base its identity  on technical innovation etc and develop a unique identity ?

I wonder if they’ve ever thought of designing a range of office furniture ?

nikbj68

• View Profile
Iconic - Holy Moly
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2011, 13:07:01 »
OK. My flag in the sand.
   I like the engineering & effort that has gone into the Iconic, (although maybe not some of the styling detail, such as the illuminated rollover bar, it reminds me of a  90`s jukebox)

I prefer the looks of it to Shel`s 'Project Daisy':

...and for several years, that was that...it was an evocation of an icon that appeared to be one man`s folly. You throw that much innovation & development at a project and it becomes almost unsaleable, but hats off to the man who tries, eh?
   Just how the AC tie-in came about, and what some really think about that should maybe be saved for the pub, over a pint or 3, as this forum isn`t really the place for that discussion as we have learned from previous occasions. [xx(]

nikbj68

• View Profile
Iconic - Holy Moly
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2011, 13:22:32 »
quote:
Originally posted by Gus Meyjes...So does the ACOC recognize the "continuation" cars built by Steve Grey as "original" and can they be part of the ACOC registry?

Not "original", no, but contination, yes. (Well, I say yes, but maybe a registrar could confirm that.)
   Your car, for instance, is to me, an AC Ace. but it`s not an original AC Ace.
   As long as no-one is claiming that a vehicle is something it is not, the ACOC will recognise it as such, as we have seen from the Ace-that-was-an-Aceca situation.
   Shelby really set the precedent for the AC-Iconic badge engineering by bringing Superformance in... there...I`ve completed the AC-Shelby-Iconic link!
   [:p]

TLegate

• View Profile
Iconic - Holy Moly
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2011, 13:41:53 »
Did someone say "illuminated rollover bar"? My work here is done, time for another planet. And whatever happened to that wonderful but forgotten saying - Just because you can, don't mean you should?

I still thinks desks tell you more about a person than their car! Let's have a Desk Forum!! Did you see that Graham Hill's desk sold at auction for around £4,500? Sounds a very fair price to me 'cos that really was a Desk! Impressive chunk of furniture I'd love to own, plus the racing pedigree....probably still holds the lap record at Brands. Shame about the Gold Leaf sponsors decals though :-)

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
Iconic - Holy Moly
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2011, 14:29:24 »
quote:
Originally posted by nikbj68

quote:
Originally posted by Gus Meyjes...So does the ACOC recognize the "continuation" cars built by Steve Grey as "original" and can they be part of the ACOC registry?

Not "original", no, but contination, yes. (Well, I say yes, but maybe a registrar could confirm that.)
   Your car, for instance, is to me, an AC Ace. but it`s not an original AC Ace.
   As long as no-one is claiming that a vehicle is something it is not, the ACOC will recognise it as such, as we have seen from the Ace-that-was-an-Aceca situation.
   Shelby really set the precedent for the AC-Iconic badge engineering by bringing Superformance in... there...I`ve completed the AC-Shelby-Iconic link!
   [:p]

Nik,

I'm with you, if that would be the case. But here, I assume, are the politics at work. I certainly am not trying to claim my car to be "original", however the 2.6 registrar has denied my car from the ACOC registry because it was not built in the original AC factory with all components manufactured and installed by AC. So if Steve's continuation cars do, I'd see that as an inconsistency. Aside from the fact that we all know AC did not manufacture all of it's parts and certainly did not install the drive train in the 289's and 427's...
   But I appreciate you recognizing it as a continuation! Whatever it may be, I put some initial test miles on it the other day. I love it!

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
Iconic - Holy Moly
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2011, 14:47:22 »
BTW. I really liked "Daisy" as well. But I suppose the public did not. I would have loved that thing become a production car. I usually get nice compliments on having good taste, but in these two cars I suppose I'm the odd ball out!

Trevor, I was laughing out loud at your reply!

Gus

nikbj68

• View Profile
Iconic - Holy Moly
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2011, 15:40:15 »
quote:
Originally posted by Gus Meyjes...I really liked "Daisy"...I would have loved that thing become a production car...

The one that I would have loved to make it to production was the Shelby GR-1, but it was superceded by the Ford GT...what were you saying about auto manufacturers making the same car 40 years on, LOL?

The GT was a no-brainer, sure fire hit, whereas the GR-1, despite being stunning, would have been a niche market.

As for your car, Woohoo, I`m delighted you are driving it now! take photos, video (Like J.Jones 428 film... love that!) but most of all, enjoy!
   Nik.

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
Iconic - Holy Moly
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2011, 15:45:29 »
And of course the GT (40), Daisy and the GR-1 are exactly like they were 50 years ago![;)]

Certainly they are all excellent! Did you guys get to see the TV shows that were done on Daisy and the GR-1 over in the UK?

Gus

nikbj68

• View Profile
Iconic - Holy Moly
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2011, 16:13:30 »
I saw the Discovery 'Project Daisy' programme, but not the GR-1. :-(

TLegate

• View Profile
Iconic - Holy Moly
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2011, 16:41:36 »
I didn't dislike the Daisy effort at all - works for me. And of the course the GR-1 was too beautiful to live BUT!! but but but - that will be, as near as damn it, the shape of the GT replacement wot is in the works. The rear end remains much the same but the profile and nose have a touch of the GT about them. However, it will most likely arrive in a showroom near you as a (wait for it) Hybrid!! Shock horror. Probably little bitty 'lectric motors on each wheel. So will go like stink for all of 10 miles. Useful. But it might just see the light of day :-)

cobham cobra

• View Profile
Iconic - Holy Moly
« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2011, 13:58:56 »
Just in case the thread is going off topic, I thought this would help get the focus back on the right track [:D]

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2010/09/chevy-corvette-inspired-desk-trumps-model-cars-as-home-decor.html

And Trevor, yes I agree about Graham Hill – now there was a great driver. I will always remember him driving that desk at the faster European circuits and the super fast ovals in the US. But for me his greatest drives were at Monaco, getting such a wide desk round the tight street circuit was something very special and this was before downforce remember[:)].

TLegate

• View Profile
Iconic - Holy Moly
« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2011, 19:38:41 »
As cars go, a Corvette makes a great desk :-) (just kidding!!!!)

I recall Mr. Hill's daring deeds at Monaco! He did cheat of course - if you pull out the drawers round the back of the circuit you create downforce. He had to remember to close them as he went past the pits of course.....

Thanks for getting the desk forum back on track! I'm at Mallory Park tomorrow and if I see anything by Chippendale going for a lap time, I'll get some snaps

nikbj68

• View Profile
Iconic - Holy Moly
« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2011, 19:52:14 »
quote:
Originally posted by cobham cobra:...Just in case the thread is going off topic, I thought this would help get the focus back on the right track [:D]...Corvette Desk

Point of order, Sir. No Bow Ties, please!

Whilst not strictly a desk, This limited edition, moulded from an original Shelby GT350, signed by the great Cobraman hissself Pool table is yours from a mere $11,995*!

(Click pic to visit website & order yours NOW!)

*PLUS shipping & installation!

cobham cobra

• View Profile
Iconic - Holy Moly
« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2011, 21:35:12 »
Ok, now this is getting a lot more serious than I expected
   If you like old racing desks you’re going to love this link entitled “Essence of Classic Race Cars, The Story behind the Desk.......”[:D][:D]

And no I didn’t make this up[:)]

http://www.luzzo.co.uk/the-story-behind-the-desk-luzzo.php

TLegate

• View Profile
Iconic - Holy Moly
« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2011, 22:28:08 »
Are you insinuating that I've been anything other than serious on the topic of the Racing Desk?! Never been so insulted!!

I now have this image of you spending your waking hours googling 'Racing Desks'....... :-)