Author Topic: Iconic - Holy Moly  (Read 15164 times)

cobham cobra

• View Profile
Iconic - Holy Moly
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2011, 14:44:26 »
Oh no, I made the mistake of clicking on the link and now I want one. How do I explain to my wife that I’ve bought yet another desk. Maybe I could tell her it would be a future classic.[:D]

cobham cobra

• View Profile
Iconic - Holy Moly
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2011, 14:49:07 »
Trevor, yes I agree Adrian Newey has designed stunning desks that are at the cutting edge of technology, yet he also competes in historics. Colin Chapman also lead the way with innovative design, particularly with lightweight office furniture, though they were often considered fragile. I think a major step forward was when John Cooper moved the chair to behind the desk easily out performing the competition.

TLegate

• View Profile
Iconic - Holy Moly
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2011, 16:24:42 »
It's never been the same since Jackie Stewart insisted on desks made from Armco.....

nikbj68

• View Profile
Iconic - Holy Moly
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2011, 17:35:55 »
Bobby Rahal very kindly threw me one of 4 paperweights from Adrian Newey`s E-type desk at Goodwood last year.

However, the desk fell over as it would appear that Mr. Newey still needed it and a man in orange came and took it back.

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
Iconic - Holy Moly
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2011, 23:55:54 »
holy crap,

I did not check for a couple of days... You all must be in my old hometown (Amsterdam) smokin' something!

So in line with the desk discussion, if I slap an AC logo on the race-seat desk chair that goes with that desk, what does that make then?

BTW,  I still like the Ironic Ac... without smoking... Does any other car company still make the same car they did in 1964?

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
Iconic - Holy Moly
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2011, 00:01:05 »
quote:
Originally posted by nikbj68

quote:
Originally posted by Alan Faulkner-Stevens...Why didn't AC go down Shelbys route?

I thought they do, via the AC Heritage/Brooklands built continuations, but in our very best of British tradition, they prefer not to shout about it, as our vulgar colonial cousins do.

(Tongue very much in cheek, but you know what I mean!) [;)]

Hey now, I am now one of these "colonial cousins". Ok, my friends may call me vulgar from time to time, but if it wasn't for those vulgar cousins there would be no cobra.. There would be a few more 2.6 Ace's though...

TLegate

• View Profile
Iconic - Holy Moly
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2011, 09:29:35 »
Gus, please expain to me in simple terms just what the Iconic thing has in common with the Shelby AC Cobra of 1964? I must be missing something here, sorry. You've seen something that I (and many others) have failed to grasp. No doubt some 'Amsterdam pot' would make it all clear, though it might require something stronger :-)

And as for the history lessons - I'd be prepared to wager that there would have been a V8 Ace. It wouldn't have been as well-developed or engineered as the Cobra, wwhich is not saying much, but it would have been a useful tool. And what's wrong with a few more 2.6 Ace's in the world? Look at the current prices for those sad l'lle British sporty cars made by a bunch of winos under the bridge....the guys whose jobs were saved by Mr. Shelby. Oh! no - he made that up as well

Mark IV

• View Profile
Iconic - Holy Moly
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2011, 11:07:37 »
quote:
Originally posted by TLegate

Gus, please expain to me in simple terms just what the Iconic thing has in common with the Shelby AC Cobra of 1964?

A check that cleared into "Dear Leaders" account....

TLegate

• View Profile
Iconic - Holy Moly
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2011, 12:01:10 »
Ain't that the truth....and speaking of 2.6 Aces....maybe we ain't heard the last of them yet ;-) Cobras? What Cobras?

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
Iconic - Holy Moly
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2011, 12:28:09 »
Nothing wrong with 2.6 Aces, or whatever would have evolved out of that. But that is the point: evolution. Granted, not by the trusted old factory in Thames Ditton, but evolution never the less. The "Ironic" clearly has Cobra-esque styling, whether you like it or not is a matter of personal taste and I have a feeling where most of you stand on that.
   My point is simple: I doubt that if AC would have continued as a legitimate company that the 427 would have continued to look the way it did. After all the Ace took on a very different shape over time as well. And in my opinion questionable. So why all the ruckus over this thing? Because we did not like what Lubinsky has done with the company? Fair enough, but in and of itself I think the Ironic is a great piece of engineering and worthy of it's badge.

Ok, now back to the desk chair...

cobham cobra

• View Profile
Iconic - Holy Moly
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2011, 12:33:03 »
Gus, great chair.
   Is it wearing Pirelli P7000 SuperSport's ?

nikbj68

• View Profile
Iconic - Holy Moly
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2011, 12:40:54 »
quote:
Originally posted by Gus Meyjes...Hey now, I am now one of these "colonial cousins". Ok, my friends may call me vulgar from time to time, but if it wasn't for those vulgar cousins there would be no cobra.. There would be a few more 2.6 Ace's though...Does any other car company still make the same car they did in 1964...

Yeah, as I said... tongue in cheek! Sorry! Shleby are much better at the publicity game, but I guess AC Heritage know that anyone wanting a nut 'n' bolt correct Cobra (or Ace for that matter) knows where to go.
   You want a `64 289 of 2011 vintage? look no further!

[/img]
   (Click pic to go to 'New Builds' feature.)

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
Iconic - Holy Moly
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2011, 12:54:33 »
quote:
Originally posted by cobham cobra

Gus, great chair.
   Is it wearing Pirelli P7000 SuperSport's ?

Yeah, I like it. The only thing is it needs an oil change from time to time...

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
Iconic - Holy Moly
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2011, 12:59:48 »
quote:
Originally posted by TLegate

Ain't that the truth....and speaking of 2.6 Aces....maybe we ain't heard the last of them yet ;-) Cobras? What Cobras?

What 2.6 Ace? Mine? that is acknowledged by the almighty, but won't be recognized by this crusty club? If it is in the AC register, should it not qualify? Like all the new Shelby cars are in the SAAC registry? Or maybe Rod Leach's 2.6 Ace, the one that's in the registry under a Saloon number... Does the ACOC recognize that one? Seems like there is a bunch of inconsistency going on. Same with what is deemed Ok by the membership on "the next generation" and what not....[;)]

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
Iconic - Holy Moly
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2011, 13:02:05 »
quote:
Originally posted by nikbj68

quote:
Originally posted by Gus Meyjes...Hey now, I am now one of these "colonial cousins". Ok, my friends may call me vulgar from time to time, but if it wasn't for those vulgar cousins there would be no cobra.. There would be a few more 2.6 Ace's though...Does any other car company still make the same car they did in 1964...

Yeah, as I said... tongue in cheek! Sorry! Shleby are much better at the publicity game, but I guess AC Heritage know that anyone wanting a nut 'n' bolt correct Cobra (or Ace for that matter) knows where to go.
   You want a `64 289 of 2011 vintage? look no further!

[/img]
   (Click pic to go to 'New Builds' feature.)

Nik,

I could not agree with you more. So does the ACOC recognize the "continuation" cars built by Steve Grey as "original" and can they be part of the ACOC registry?