Author Topic: Greyhound Differential Housing  (Read 986 times)

AndyM

• View Profile
Greyhound Differential Housing
« on: July 07, 2023, 16:19:10 »
The threaded section of the "nose" to the differential on my Greyhound has cracked, as shown on the attached photo.
Although it should be possible for it to be welded up, Hardy Engineering, who have dismantled it, regard it as something of a design issue, which needs to be strengthened lest it happen again. They wonder about the possibility of constructing a mount wrapping round the diff case to provide additional rigidity.
Has anyone experienced the same problem and tried strengthening the design in any way?
Any thoughts most welcome!
Many thanks
Andy

Robin A Woolmer

• View Profile
Re: Greyhound Differential Housing
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2023, 16:55:12 »
I am not an experienced  with this car but i suspect this is an ENV or Moss housing not designed by AC, it will fit the casing which is part of the chassis assembly!
You will need to identify which casing it is & determine if a spare assembly is available!
If ENV then maybe the 2-Litre casing might fit?
Robin 

B.P.Bird

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2023, 19:18:50 »
Andy & Robin,
The G'hound diff. nose is ENV. It was also used by contemporary Volvos. I suppose Amazon and /or 122. Not a straight swop as their ratio was lower than the G'hound. In addition the threaded mount used on the A.C. might not be part of the Volvo application. The 2 Litre Saloon has an earlier ENV diff. which will not fit.
Barrie

AndyM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2023, 09:21:45 »
Many thanks Robin and Barrie.
All the best
Andy

AndyM

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2023, 21:26:04 »
Latest on this is that the existing casing is deemed beyond repair. I have located another Amazon ENV casing, but that would need to be adapted to take the front mounting, which is problematic as it is cast iron. Latest plan is to adapt a MGA diff, which has similar dimensions - and would have the benefit of enabling different ratios.
Has anyone tied this or anything similar??
Many thanks
Andy