Author Topic: AK1001  (Read 8156 times)

Emmanueld

• View Profile
AK1001
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2011, 14:40:10 »
The lightweight  MKIV is basically a MKIII with a small block in it. With the right small block, that should be an awesome car. Unfortunately, never came to the states. Would not pass DOT. Too bad, I would have loved one of those. These days, you can make a small block Ford make just as much power as a big block and for less money. But here in California, that must be in a pre 1976 car.

Emmanuel

TLegate

• View Profile
AK1001
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2011, 16:18:06 »
Point of Order - some of the pukka Lightweights did cross the pond and forevermore I shall curse the day I turned down the change to repatriate one from Florida. It was beyond mint! Won't tell you the asking price as I'll only start sobbing uncontrolably again....

nikbj68

• View Profile
AK1001
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2011, 17:08:19 »
quote:
Originally posted by Emmanueld...The lightweight MKIV...never came to the states...
quote:
Originally posted by TLegate...Point of Order - some of the pukka Lightweights did cross the pond...I turned down the chance to repatriate one from Florida. It was beyond mint!...

Another 'AKL'(although not one of the 'pukka 26'!) that was in Florida but was less than mint has been repatriated by a multiple AC owner & contributor to this forum, and is in the process of righting it`s wrongs and becoming my dream car!
   Whilst I hope not all MkIV`s get the MkIII treatment I`m glad this one will; it isn`t a quick, cheap swap-job, and not one that many owners would undertake unless there was more than just aesthetics to consider, IMHO. [:)]

SO. Back to the topic maybe, for a moment... What do we think?
   The Lightweight I mentioned above had a Buy-it-Now price of $47.5k 2 summers ago, which at the time I thought was about 1/2 price, even with it`s issues. So, is over $100k a bit much for this MkIV, although it is no.'1001', there is an amount of obvious recommisioning that is neccesary, tidying that is desireable & who-knows-what that may not be apparent from eBay? [?]

TLegate

• View Profile
AK1001
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2011, 22:34:30 »
Personally I'd only stump up that kind of folding after a very full inspection and I knew its (true) history, it being a Buxbaum car an' all. Caveat emptor and all that stuff.

Hawk Cars have restored a decidedly dead MkIV (the tree won that argument) to MkIII spec in every sense - interior, new bigger footboxes, a mod to get the drivers seat back as far as possible, etc etc. Many original-type bits and it's now a very nice Cobra, saved from the grave. I don't believe the mods detract from its desirability one bit. But wadda I know?

Emmanueld

• View Profile
AK1001
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2011, 02:41:54 »
Your right, Florida is maybe THE place to register a "non DOT, non smog" car. I remember a few year ago they did not ask for anything there. This is where my Kirkham came from as well. To come back to AK02, I was quoted ball park, $70k by what is probably the best shop in the US for Cobras to turn it into a MKIII, i would have had to supply the engine and tranny. Basically, one start with the chassis and builds a new car. The body is different, foot boxes, fender wells, gas tank, doors, dashboard, etc. I had paid $30K for it and considering how much I got for my Kirkham which was painted by the same shop, I may have made money in the deal if I had done it. The whole registration problem here in California scared me and I did not do it.

Emmanuel

Emmanueld

• View Profile
AK1001
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2011, 03:05:02 »
The main problem with the MKIII handling is the weight of the FE motor. I drove a properly sorted Kirkham with an aluminum big block a few years ago and it went like a dream, even in tight turns. So yes any coil spring car with a small block should handle better than an iron BB. When you look at early Corvettes it's the same thing, the big block is rarer and way more expensive but it handles like a pig. The small block is way more fun to drive. A lot of the Cobra collectors here in Southern California will tell you they enjoy their leaf springs small blocks way more than the MKIII. As far as look, it's also way better looking, to my eyes at least.

Emmanuel

TLegate

• View Profile
AK1001
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2011, 10:57:41 »
I've had the 'small block in a coil-spring chassis' discussion with many folk including the Kirkhams, claiming that on any given back country road, the small-block car would be as fast, if not faster. David decided to experiment (as he does) and I think he got my point. However, he is a dedicated 'big-block' kinda guy as nothing (for him) beats the sound and visceral thrill of a 7-litre at full chat. In the UK though, such things are about as useful as an ashtray on a Ducatti. Always thought the 427 lump made a better boat-anchor. And they always win the willy-waving stakes ;-)

nikbj68

• View Profile
AK1001
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2011, 11:50:21 »
quote:
Originally posted by TLegate...427 lump...always win the willy-waving stakes ;-)

Until someone rocks up in a Weineck...

780cu.in, That`s right, 13 LITRES! And Nitroused to take it to 1300BHP!!![:0][:0][:0]

Emmanueld

• View Profile
AK1001
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2011, 19:40:11 »
Your right! Trevor that's why one must have both!!!!!!!! Nothing like the sound of a big block in the morning!

Emmanuel [:D][:D][:D][:D]

AK1131

• View Profile
AK1001
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2011, 17:30:49 »
By the time I got to the bottom of this forum, I had forgotten how it started so off I go.

Here in South Carolina, there is no vehicle inspection. I just hosted a car show this past Saturday and had a couple of hotrods with open headers show up. The engine in my MKIV was removed (in Florida) by the first owner(I am the second owner), modified and replaced. It is entirely smog free. I even had the catalytic converters removed. The problem is the roads are flat on the coast but not as bad as Florida. We do have some mountains upsate. I am hoping to buy a house up there soon. Ya'll are luck in the UK. You can cover the country in a weekend and see all your buddys and attend all the events. Here in the states everything is far away. The Amelia Island Concours is this weekend. It is close at 3 1/2 hours south. You pay way too much for petrol but you have no where to go. Pitiful this country and yours is at war in a country with no oil. What happen to conquer and seize.[}:)]