Author Topic: AK1001  (Read 8159 times)

rsfmotors

• View Profile
AK1001
« on: February 24, 2011, 19:53:08 »
Hi iam new to this forum. I am trying to get value for AK1001 with only 8000 miles on it. We found it in a collection in S Calf (San Diego) Its Black on Black 427 side oiler. You can email me at dluce@rsfm.com or just repley. I will have pictures soon.

DL

Emmanueld

• View Profile
AK1001
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 18:03:36 »
Watch out, the car did not come originally with an fe motor. It came with a small block. As such, being an 80's car, it can't be legally registered in California. Also, an FE motor will not fit the Autocraft without extensive modifications to the firewall/foot-well area. You should inquire as to whom made the modifications. As far as value, it really depends on how the car looks and modifications. Anywhere from $45K to $90-100K depending on condition. I have seen so many cars which were complete basket cases. I think these cars are worth more in England than in the States. If you reside in California you should get a pre-1976 car. Otherwise you will have to deal with the smog issue and this car will definitely not pass. The only way it can be registered is to bolt an engine transmission combo from a Mustang of the same year or newer with all the smog equipment installed, and then go see a referee. Lots of work!. Of course, a few other states are much easier.   I have had a few cars over the years that could not pass smog and it was a pain. And it's getting increasingly difficult since every smog station is now connected with the DMV on line and the penalties for cheating have been raised substantially.

Use your head not your heart, watch out!

Good luck!

Emmanuel [:)]

dkp_cobra

• View Profile
AK1001
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 11:09:08 »
For only 8000 miles a little bit too much rust under the front section:

click here for the complete offer

TLegate

• View Profile
AK1001
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 11:27:51 »
It was shipped as a roller to Richard Buxbaum (sans engine) and was brought by Donald Cohn in San Diego. At some stage it had a 427 installed. I would assume it was registered in that form in Calif circa 1982-ish? I guess it's worth what anyone is prepared to pay....

AK1131

• View Profile
AK1001
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 08:34:25 »
Looks like the car needs someone to love it. Soap, water and a little paint. Have the car inspected. Look at the rubber bushings for cracks. 427's are hard to come by. It should be a blistering ride! [8D]

Emmanueld

• View Profile
AK1001
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 18:01:22 »
Trevor, impossible, 3 ways to register such a car here in California.
   1) As an AC autocraft so it has to comply with all smog regulations at the time the car was built.
   2) Using the SB100 rule for special construction cars, (kit cars and hod rods, only 100 cars registered that way per year  and it has to look like an original etc. Except that when I tried to register AK02 that way, I was told by DMV that AC Autocraft was a bonified car manufacturer and it did not qualify.
   4) Register the car in an easy state as a 1965 Ford, and move to California. Increasingly more difficult. DMV has inspectors going to car shows to catch 1932 and 1965 Fords.

I agree, if the price is right, it could be a great project. Anymore photos?

Mark IV

• View Profile
AK1001
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 00:07:35 »
It is "Autokraft"...with a "K". And there have been several of these types of cars registered in California. Perhaps not totally legal mind you, but doable.

I personally know of an Autokraft era chassis that was registered in Ca. with a hot 351 back in 1985.

and AK1001 did not come with a small block, it came as a roller. As did all of the "Buxbaum" cars.

TLegate

• View Profile
AK1001
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2011, 10:18:21 »
I do appreciate it was never easy to register such anti-social devices in downtown California but it was a little bit 'easier' 25 years ago than today (I do keep up with such things via ClubCobra and various good folk such as Lord Muck of Buffalo) And nobody said that all the registrations were entirely legal! As if....

Emmanueld

• View Profile
AK1001
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2011, 14:31:19 »
Hi guys, my Mk4 was properly registered and it had a 351 Windsor. The problem was that it was so lame that I wanted to re-register it as a 1965  kit car under SB100 to do away with smog. That way I could have built a proper engine and modified the car to look like a MK3. Turned out to be impossible so I sold the car. Sorry about Autokraft, I always do it.

Emmanuel.

ANF289

• View Profile
AK1001
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2011, 19:17:34 »
quote:
Originally posted by Emmanueld

Hi guys, my Mk4 was properly registered and it had a 351 Windsor. The problem was that it was so lame that I wanted to re-register it as a 1965  kit car under SB100 to do away with smog. That way I could have built a proper engine and modified the car to look like a MK3. Turned out to be impossible so I sold the car. Sorry about Autokraft, I always do it.

Emmanuel.

Yes you do, Em.
   Based on your ongoing description of your 428 restoration and your numerous threads denigrating your early Mk IV, it appears that you don’t excel at picking very good cars.  You may have been more satisfied with a later production Mk IV rather than the pre-production roller that you constantly rag-on about.  Why anyone would ever want to make a Mk IV into a Mk III is beyond me.  The Mk IV is amazing simply for having been built and then sold in the US.  Besides that, the Mk IV it is a much better car than the Mk III… so get over it and get back to your Frua, there's lots of work to be done! [:)]
   Art

Emmanueld

• View Profile
AK1001
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2011, 20:45:26 »
I was not trying to denigrate MKIVs, I was talking about mine which was as you said a pre-production. Art I don't know why you are so sensitive. It's a free world out there but really, don't try to tell me that a MKIV is better than a MKIII or any previous Cobra for that matter, this is silly. Just look at prices and you will see which is more desirable. We have gone there before and I don't want to argue any more. And yes, I was willing to spend an INSANE amount of money to turn it into a MKIII. [:D]

ANF289

• View Profile
AK1001
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2011, 00:09:35 »
quote:
Originally posted by Emmanueld

I was not trying to denigrate MKIVs, I was talking about mine which was as you said a pre-production. Art I don't know why you are so sensitive. It's a free world out there but really, don't try to tell me that a MKIV is better than a MKIII or any previous Cobra for that matter, this is silly. Just look at prices and you will see which is more desirable. We have gone there before and I don't want to argue any more. And yes, I was willing to spend an INSANE amount of money to turn it into a MKIII. [:D]

Agreed, been there before.  I just want to point out that there is a difference between a more valuable car and a better car.  And turning a MkIV into a MkIII look-alike does not make a MkIII, nor does it increase its value.

Emmanueld

• View Profile
AK1001
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2011, 00:40:21 »
It just would have made it more fun to drive for me!

E

nikbj68

• View Profile
AK1001
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2011, 08:42:39 »
quote:
Originally posted by Mannybox...don't try to tell me that a MKIV is better than a MKIII or any previous Cobra for that matter...
There`s no denying that the build quality on the (production) MkIV`s was definitely better than anything from Thames Ditton, but sometimes, more is less, eh? We know that true comparison is impossible, as the MkIV is of another time, a bit like comparing Grand Prix cars from now & 1966.
   (Lights blue touchpaper... stands well back!)[:D]

quote:
Originally posted by ANF289...I just want to point out that there is a difference between a more valuable car and a better car...
Ditto that. Compare the 427S/C to the AC289, those that have driven both will (usually!) say that the S/B-coilsprung combo is the best of the breed, but the values? EVERYONE wants the 427!

quote:
Originally posted by ANF289...And turning a MkIV into a MkIII look-alike does not make a MkIII, nor does it increase its value...
Agreed, you cannot turn a MkIV into a MkIII, but from what I`ve seen, the conversion to MkIII-style does increase value, although it did lead to a fairly heated debate with a dealer once!
   I suggested that his MkIV/III was £20k+ overpriced, putting it at MkIV Lightweight money, which he attempted to justify by showing me where the £50k of conversion went. He even said if I could find a MKIV as good or better for sale for less, that he`d give me the difference! I could find as good, and better, but not for sale! Dammit!  [;)]

ANF289

• View Profile
AK1001
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2011, 14:04:26 »
quote:
There`s no denying that the build quality on the (production) MkIV`s was definitely better than anything from Thames Ditton, but sometimes, more is less, eh? We know that true comparison is impossible, as the MkIV is of another time, a bit like comparing Grand Prix cars from now & 1966. ...

Agreed, but it’s not only the build quality, it's also the ride and handling, all combining to make a better car.  Power can be easily added (and to quote MKIV) to make it go “stupid fast”.  I personally think the 289 Sports was the ultimate street version of the MkIII, and the MkIV was/is certainly the new and improved version of that.  The stock performance of those two cars are surprisingly similar.  The 289 Sports  did the ¼ mile in 14.4 @ 102 mph (Motor 10/67) (yeah, slow by today’s standards) whereas the MkIV managed a 13.9 @ 98 mph (Car & Driver  9/88) or 14.09 @ 97.8 mph  (Motor Trend 7/87) with a federalized FI 302 and a few hundred extra pounds.

quote:
Agreed, you cannot turn a MkIV into a MkIII, but from what I`ve seen, the conversion to MkIII-style does increase value, although it did lead to a fairly heated debate with a dealer once!

True, but in time all perceived added-value will probably be lost when future buyers are looking for a real MkIV and not a replica MkIII.  That said, many of us will probably be dead by then! [:D]