Author Topic: Girling Brake Master Cylinder 3102542W and brake shoes  (Read 1048 times)

AEX 31

• View Profile
Girling Brake Master Cylinder 3102542W and brake shoes
« on: June 18, 2023, 09:59:50 »
Dear All,

I’m looking for a Brake master cylinder for AEX 31. It is a cast iron Girling with Girling number 3102542W. Please see the attached image. If anybody had got one, or know about one that is or could be for sale any hints or tips will be greatly appreciated.

It doesn’t have to be perfect, just as long as it’s in a restorable condition, i.e. no cracks.

I’m also looking for one side of rear brake shoes for 31. Girling numbers GB 41540 and GB 41542.

Top dollar paid!

Thanks in advance for any help with finding these parts.

Kind regards

Jonas

nicksonsticks

• View Profile
Re: Girling Brake Master Cylinder 3102542W and brake shoes
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2023, 19:38:30 »
Hi Jonas,
Sorry no one's been able to help yet, and I can't help with the master cylinder but I think some of the very early Austin Healey 100's might have had the same shoes? So you could try ahead4healeys or AH Spares.
Hope this helps a bit.
Regards Nick

SpqrEddie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2023, 21:30:48 »
From the Interchangable Parts Booklet

AEX 31

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2023, 09:18:08 »
Hello,

Thanks for all the help. I have tried to find the rear brake shoes, GB 41540 and GB 41542 through the Austin Healey “channels” but without any luck. I believe they were only used for the very early cars so that’s probably why it’s difficult, they were also used on Austin A70 which I suspect were made in greater numbers.

But I’ll keep looking and if anybody stumbles across a set of the brake shoes, or the master cylinder for that matter, please let me know.

Kind regards

Jonas
« Last Edit: June 24, 2023, 21:31:27 by AEX 31 »

Michael Trotter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2023, 01:08:18 »

Jonas
I may be able to help. I think I have a brake master cylinder which came from Aceca Bristol BE622 (ex works October 1957)  which I wrote off. I reckon I have quite a lot of brake shoes which came from BE622 or with it. Trouble is I've no idea where they are - in my workshop, my motorhouse or one of the sheds - probably in unmarked cardboard cartons. I have a 1960 Girling catalogue which gives all Girling part numbers from specific Ace and Aceca chassis numbers but no indication as to whether there were changes at these chassis or the part numbers also applied to earlier chassis (same brake shoe but different     master cylinder numbers to those you quote).  I would want to keep a master cylinder and 4 rear shoes if they fitted my current Aceca Bristol BE722 (1959). Otherwise happy to part with excess but not keen about exporting to Sweden. Are you going to be in UK any time soon? By the way what's wrong with your two brake shoes? Are master cylinders and shoes stamped with Girling part numbers and where? (Mine will be grubby).

If I have anything you need 'top dollar' would not be the issue. The deal would be for you to collect from me in Hampshire and take me out to a good pub lunch. Should I start searching?

Michael

AEX 31

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2023, 09:52:20 »
Good morning Michael,

Thanks for your generous offer and message. I have actually managed to get ahold of a cast iron master cylinder so no need for that any longer, however I’m still looking for a set of rear brake shoes.
As far as I know I believe that the brake shoes were the same throughout the production run of the Ace’s and Aceca’s even if part numbers changed. My Girling book is a bit earlier than yours so I can’t see any changes.
Maybe somebody out there knows with certainty?

I’ve enclosed some images of the brake shoes for reference. So If you don’t mind, please start looking!

As luck would have it I will actually be going to Hampshire first weekend in September for the Beaulieu auto jumble, so I could probably come passed you if you aren’t too far away. Otherwise my father in law lives in the West Midlands and I frequently use him to store AC-contraband I manage to get my hands on.

The reason that I’m looking for a spare set is that I have for many years tried to keep spares to be able to keep my car on the road. Brake shoes are certainly one of those things that need to be relined every now and then and since I would have to send them away, probably to the UK, I would possibly have a car on stands for some months, something I don’t want to experience if it can be avoided.

Thank you very much.

Jonas

« Last Edit: August 08, 2023, 20:53:27 by AEX 31 »

Michael Trotter

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2023, 00:52:46 »
Good evening Jonas
Good news! After looking in many cardboard cartons I found one full of brake stuff including rear shoes. I have 'paired' them using the very clear picture you posted and I have 4 pairs one of which is yours. They are pretty grubby and I haven't cleaned them yet so couldn't see any part numbers. It looks like the shoes in a pair are the same but the positioning of the linings differ (leading and trailing). I am confident they match your picture.

Please call or email me (see membership list) so we can agree arrangements for collection (I am 10 minutes from M3 Junction 5) and a lunch, or maybe a dinner before or after Beaulieu would suit you better.

Regards
Michael

AEX 31

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2023, 07:44:10 »
Good morning Michael,

Fantastic news. Thank you very much for this. I will try to phone you later today.

Kind regards

Jonas