Author Topic: Water pump leak, or not? Drain passage?  (Read 1049 times)

SpqrEddie

• View Profile
Water pump leak, or not? Drain passage?
« on: May 31, 2023, 08:20:28 »
Hello!
Sometimes I find water on the floor.
It seems to come from the back of the water pump pully.
It doesent do that all the time, and it is not much. Probably not yet enough to justify a pump rebuilt.

But i was wandering as well if this is a design feature. In the Pump drawing i see what could seems a drain passage before the felt washer protecting the bearing.

Any body know if that is really a drain, and so some water dripping is normal and by design from there?

Thanks!

Robin A Woolmer

• View Profile
Re: Water pump leak, or not? Drain passage?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2023, 11:52:54 »
I expect the water seal in the pump is not working very well so water is leaking past the seal, the drain allows the leaked water to exit the pump & not contaminate the single bearing, suggest you replace the seal  or live with it a while until it is worse!
Brian Eacott should be able to supply new seals
Robin

SpqrEddie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2023, 13:46:53 »
Thank you Robin!
i guess i will wait untill it get worse. It doesnt do it all the time.
Just ramdomly.
I just slakened a bit the belt as i think it was too thight, and might be part of the issue.
The alternator bearings were gone in fact.
Eddie

SpqrEddie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2023, 07:41:41 »
Hello All!
the little leak at the back of the pully became a big leak! so I have ordered a new graphite seal (thanks to an add on ACtion!), and yesterday i wanted to disassemble the pump and change it.
But as usually a few hours job seems to became a few days one!
it looks like the pump can not come out without lifting the engine. it doesn't clear one of the frame pipes! I can not take it out.
what's the trick here? I have tried to remove the studs, but no luck, they are stuck in and don't want to force them too much with the two nuts approach.
Thanks!!
Eddie

SpqrEddie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2024, 14:18:22 »
Water pump is out.
In the end I believe in the end the issue was simply the fuel line that was on the way!

Regarding the water leak, I think the problem is that the surface of the bronze thrust washer is scored, and the carbon ring too.
I have new carbon ring, but it seems quite difficult to change it. So my plan is to try to fix the old one on the shaft somehow and turn it in the lathe to surface it flat.
For the bronze thrust washer, I plan to cut it flat by fixing the pump body on a table cutter. Hopefully the spring will compensate for the little that will be cut.

The bearing seems in good condition. But the shaft has some resistance as I believe that instead of a felt washer, a rubber oil seal has been installed previously behind the bearing. But I would prefer not to take off the bearing. So I might leave it in.
The oil seal might have been a later upgrade of the pump? it is listed in the pump spare scheme, even if not pictured.
In the spare drawing there are two felt washers, but may be later the inner one became a rubber oil seal?

The only think that might be lose, is the shaft in the rear bush. What do you think? it is a bit scored too.

I am not able to measure the ID of the bush, but is should be 1/2. but I don't know the real size.
(bush size found here: http://www.ac2litre.com/ohaulcooling.html).

The shaft is 0.498 thou, so I have theoretically a clearance of 2 thou. but I don't have the tools to measure it.

thanks,
Eddie
« Last Edit: January 05, 2024, 14:49:07 by SpqrEddie »

SpqrEddie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2024, 14:31:11 »
Video 1

SpqrEddie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2024, 14:31:38 »
Video 2

59 Aceca

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2024, 23:52:15 »
Hi Eddie - I had some ongoing issues with my water pump and eventually replaced it with one supplied by Rod Briggs that, according to his description, has been re-engineered to address the inherent weakness of the original design.  7 years on and it has not given me any problems.  Please see the link below if you want to check it out.

https://www.ac-6.co.uk/water-pumps/

Good luck,
Greg

SpqrEddie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2024, 08:36:10 »
Thank you Greg!
will check it out!