Author Topic: Side Curtain Question  (Read 1284 times)

John4337

• View Profile
Side Curtain Question
« on: May 20, 2023, 15:25:56 »
Greetings,

I’m writing because during research for fitting a hard top to my Factory Five roadster. Part of that will be coming up with side curtains. During research, I found photos of CSX cars with two types. I’ve been trying to find out why, mostly curiosity at this point, but since I’ll likely be building mine, it may be good information to have. Here are the photos if the unusual ones. The more common only have a frame on the top, bottom and rear. These are full frame and only seem to be on hardtop cars. Any help is appreciated.

GSouthee

• Climate warming bring it on, save heating.
    • View Profile
Re: Side Curtain Question
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2023, 13:20:16 »
John

You will have some members going purple and having fits.

A kit car question ;D
A car is only original once, but, you can modify it as many times as you like.

My car my rules.

John4337

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2023, 14:10:39 »
Probably, but I was hoping to get by since I was actually asking about original cars, but I’ll keep an eye out for the pitchforks and buckets of tar…
« Last Edit: May 21, 2023, 16:30:50 by John4337 »

rr64

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2023, 17:49:07 »
I will admit I do not know a lot about factory option hardtops on Cobras.  I literally gave away the top that came along with the purchase of CSX2551 in 2003. The type side curtains constructed with exposed aluminum frame was called the 'deluxe' version of parts and were associated for use with optional fiberglass hardtops but the May 1965 Shelby American Inc. HIGH PERFORMANCE AUTOMOBILE PARTS book indicates they would also work with soft top. As far as I know, a buyer would order hard top kit with all brackets and fasteners and deluxe side curtains kit as different line items.

"S1CS-7621410 Window, W/Aluminum frame (side Curtains) For Hard or Soft top (boxed pair) Berry BX 99.00 77.00"

Berry = Berry Plastics (USA) as the supplier
BX= the kit came as box packed set
99.00 = suggested retail price (USD May 31, 1965)
77.00 = actual dealer price (USD May 31, 1965)

PS I do know that in fine details, there was more than one version of standard vinyl trimmed side curtains 1962-1964.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2023, 18:07:52 by rr64 »
Dan Case
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.

John4337

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2023, 00:38:01 »
RR,

Thats great information, always learning something new about these cars. You’re the first that’s responded with any information on the different types to posts on several forums. I’ve also seen the vinyl ones in 2 and 3 pin variants, and with 1 and 2 sliding sections. I’ve only found photos of the aluminum ones on hardtop cars and was wondering if the tops required them for some reason. I greatly appreciate your response.

John

rr64

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2023, 15:38:31 »
RR,

Thats great information, always learning something new about these cars. You’re the first that’s responded with any information on the different types to posts on several forums. I’ve also seen the vinyl ones in 2 and 3 pin variants, and with 1 and 2 sliding sections. I’ve only found photos of the aluminum ones on hardtop cars and was wondering if the tops required them for some reason. I greatly appreciate your response.

John

In the details, Cobras were very complicated. Just to provide an idea how complicated in consideration of all the companies involved and changes in specifications takes two or three pages of commentary. My file on engines and their details for Cobras is currently 124 pages in length. It takes 12 pages to cover mascot emblems well. The folder covering written information is 1.04 GB in size with 300+ subject headings.

Then there are "restored" and reconstructed cars. Using most of them as a gauge for originality is not a great choice with the exception of the recommissioning work done on significantly intact cars by any of four shops that go to extremes to get every detail they can as close to day one as possible.
Dan Case
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.

John4337

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2023, 13:53:36 »
The more you learn, the more you don’t know. These are fascinating cars and all unique in their own way…makes them great.