Author Topic: Issue with fuel line leak  (Read 657 times)

SpqrEddie

• View Profile
Issue with fuel line leak
« on: May 17, 2023, 09:01:02 »
Hello all!
I reveved some new parts from Burlen and installed them yesterday ( new float chambers needle valve, float chamber gaskets etc..).
When I reconnected the fuel line i found a very bad leak! it is at the frst carburetor joint, where the copper pipe comes from the pump.
I had disconnected this joint before, and it had never leaked.
I am missing a rubber seal? or it should be just the nut and the brass ferrule?
I have noticed the brass ferrule moves around on the copper pipe. is it normal? Should it move or not?
Do you have any suggestion for stopping this leak? Should i change this pipe?
Thanks!!!
Eddie

Klassik Metall

• View Profile
Re: Issue with fuel line leak
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2023, 10:00:50 »
It rather looks like the nut has been overtightened and this has distorted both the brass olive and the copper tube.
If possible I would suggest cutting off the damaged section and fitting a new olive. Also a copper pipe here isn't
the best choice due to the risk of a vibration induced failure.

Regards Luke.

SpqrEddie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2023, 10:49:16 »
Thank you Luke!
thanks for your tips, after having looked at a few Youtube videos, i think that is the issue!
Sorry, it is the fist time i am dealing with compression fittings. learning something every day with this car!

Do you know how was the original set up? copper or rubber line?

Thanks!
Edmondo

Klassik Metall

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2023, 13:21:36 »
The original fuel lines were made from wire reinforced plastic, similar to this.https://www.svb24.com/en/steel-wire-reinforced-pvc-hose.html
However, none of the currently available versions of this tube are suitable for use with petrol containing ethanol.
I would suggest using a suitable reinforced rubber fuel hose, such as this type.https://www.carbuilder.com/us/ethanol-proof-fuel-hose-8mm-516

SpqrEddie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2023, 13:34:43 »
Thank you Luke!
so, if copper was not the original solution, i might go rubber and solve the issue. I might install at least a piece of rubber pipe to interrupt the rigid copper pipe. it is rather long and rigid mounted might not be ideal.
Eddie