Author Topic: Aceca Bristol with ford engine  (Read 6686 times)

roger_o

• View Profile
Aceca Bristol with ford engine
« on: January 25, 2011, 17:44:55 »
I have an Aceca Bristol that has been fitted with a Ford Zephyr engine. The engine is currently being rebuilt due to a badly worn camshaft lobe and should be going back in in the near future.

Before it came out, I was concerned about the extremely close proximity of the crankshaft pulley to the rear most ball joint on the steering idler arm. My engine was not fitted with a crankshaft damper either. I know, having looked at a purpose built ford engined Aceca, that the clearance is small but mine is minute and shows signs of contacting the casing of the joint!

If any of you have experienced this problem and found a suitable solution I would be most interested to hear. It was my original intention to put a Bristol engine back in as the original mounts are still there. However, from what I gather, they are scarce and therefore very expensive.

AEX566

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 01:52:54 »
Roger,
   Might consider solving two problems by going with Ben Yates's rack and pinion conversion. Ben could tell you the actual setback from the spring A frame of the rack vs. the existing steering idler arm.
   Art

roger_o

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 10:21:00 »
Thanks Art,

I have seen a number of references to Ben Yates regarding steering racks, do you have a contact number or email address for him?

Regards. Roger

AEX566

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 15:17:35 »
Roger,
   This was /is Ben's email:
    Kinnertoncourt at talktalk dot net
   Are you in the UK or ??  Ben's outside Oxford, but as there are now numerous converted Aces/Acecas worldwide, Ben could also likely put you in touch with an owner for an inspection/ test drive.

Brian, why isn't Ben listing his conversion in the small ads? One conversion sale would pay for years of advertising on this site... along with a link to a You Tube video that might show step by step installation of the rack.
   Art

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 18:56:36 »
I would say Ben's conversion is well known among AC owners.. It's even "period correct" as John Tojeiro was involved in the design...
   I have one on my Aceca. Love it.

Gus

roger_o

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 17:32:27 »
Thanks to Ben Yates, a steering rack has now been fitted and the rebuilt engine is going back in. Let's hope it all works!

Regards. Roger

Adybowen

• View Profile
Re: Aceca Bristol with ford engine
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2019, 18:05:04 »
Hi, I need a r& p for my 2.6 Aceca but can t contact Mr Yates, any ideas?? Adrian

administrator

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2019, 08:56:06 »
If all else fails, try via Angela - email on the Regalia page of ACtion.

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2019, 09:01:41 »
Adrian

Ben &  Angela Yates have been away with 106 ACOC owners on the ACOC 70th Anniversary Rally,  Should now be back home catching on day to day things.

email address  ..  ..  kinnertoncourt  at  icloud  dot  com

Full address and telephone number  refer to ACtion magazine .

b]Keith[/b]
« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 23:41:16 by AC Ace Bristol »

James Eastwood

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2019, 21:17:17 »
"However, from what I gather, they are scarce and therefore very expensive." - A Bristol 400 engine just sold on eBay yesterday. I assume it would need changes to; cam, carbs, CR/pistons, damper, dynamo mounts and a dog bone filter extension. But it's basically the same.

It sold for £4650.

Norman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2019, 22:20:07 »
Going right back to the point about the steering idler which started this thread in 2011, my 2.6 Ace has a slightly cranked steering arm in order to increase the clearance. I've owned the car since it was 10 years old and it has always been this way. No idea whether this is standard on all 2.6s or not. A rather crude solution, but it's worked for nearly 50 years, so hard to argue!

Cargirl

• Exceptional Car Broker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2019, 16:33:31 »
If anyone has an ACECA with a Ford engine that they would like to sell I have a buyer. 

Kelly Dietrick

kelly@exceptionalcarbroker.com