Author Topic: AC Buckland Resto Help and Advice Wanted Please.  (Read 973 times)

Richard Hutchings

• View Profile
AC Buckland Resto Help and Advice Wanted Please.
« on: April 13, 2023, 10:46:34 »
Hello All,
The progress on restoring the Buckland (MRO 353) has slowed down to almost stopping for various reasons, but I am determined to carry on.  I would very much like some help and guidance on how to stop the body shell moving or twisting when it is removed from the chassis. I will be attempting this in the near future hopefully.  The engine and gearbox have been removed and the cylinder head is having new valve seats fitted.  This includes inlet and exhaust seats because the inlet seats had receded.
The interior, floors and fuel tank are also out, so there are a few more items to be removed and then I would like to brace the body tub ready for removal.  Then the restoration can start in earnest.
I am still trying to find front seats, or even frames for the car.  Seems a difficult one.
Any help in these matters will be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Richard Hutchings

Robin A Woolmer

• View Profile
Re: AC Buckland Resto Help and Advice Wanted Please.
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2023, 10:54:30 »
Go to 2-Litre Saloon Web site Ian Strange, it should be very helpful, you can find it in the Club Web Site Links!
Robin

dkp_cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2023, 11:26:51 »

GSouthee

• Climate warming bring it on, save heating.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2023, 10:01:25 »
Hi Richard

There is a facebook site for the Buckland as well that may be helpful, sorry don't know the site name as don't do Facebook. Though in the post on here there is a link somewhere.

The trouble with the Buckland is it has no roof to help with strength when removing body from frame. I dont know how good your ash frame is, but if weak you will have some problems. I did similar with a Riley topless body, I took the doors off before removing body, bought a sheet of ply, cut 2 pieces to fit on the inside of the frame and screwed these into place with at least 8 screws, this kept the door frames in place, I also then cut section of ply to fit across these 2 peices and screwed these to the door sections using battens there by making an I section, You could then make some more bracing using 2x1 section from these running diagonally from the centre of the I section to the rear corners. It was a guestimate as to where to mount these when I did mine, but it worked. I placed the body on some 3x4 timber to take the place of chassis once it was removed, just make sure it is square and level.

Not sure how much sense that makes.

If you have access to you tube or the like, if you look up some Hotrod/ Resto shows where they take the body off a steel car and they brace them with a frame it will give you an idea as to the wood frame to use. (whoops I said HOTROD on the AC site, 40 lashes for me at least) ;)

Good luck with the resto.

Gary

A car is only original once, but, you can modify it as many times as you like.

My car my rules.

dsjw1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2023, 07:36:27 »
Richard looks like you’re a member of the Facebook group. Ask the question in there and I’m sure you’ll get some traction. Absentbthat I can get you in touch with the restorers of the two finest examples built in last 4 years.

Thanks!