Author Topic: ACOC Sprint  (Read 1135 times)

GSouthee

• Climate warming bring it on, save heating.
    • View Profile
ACOC Sprint
« on: April 12, 2023, 14:42:46 »
I see from the current  minutes in Action that the sprint is in all likelihood  not on the cards this year.

I note that in the last minutes in March Action a track day was deemed unlikely as exhaust noise considerations may be an issue. An issue for whom? Have any of the council been to a track day? Other than outright race cars owned by some members, most are road cars and a noise issue should not be a concern. It would allow many members who might like to take their road car on the the track for a fun run, the opportunity to do so.

In the current minutes a timed run event at Santa Pod is now being suggested, Drag Racing by the ACOC surely not :o. I am not sure, as it is not clear whether this on a 'Run what you brung' (RWYB) event or a mixed motorsport event, which again  will eliminate  most members from having a run up the strip. I have a sneaking feeling that it will be a motorsport event so that the Elite few will be catered for. At least it wont make a financial loss!!

Personally I think the club is missing out on not doing a track day, and there are corners to steer round.

I have put the requirements for RWYB in a link below.

https://santapod.co.uk/rwyb-run-what-ya-brung.php

See Ya

Gary

A car is only original once, but, you can modify it as many times as you like.

My car my rules.

administrator

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: ACOC Sprint
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2023, 09:18:26 »
The limit at Goodwood for 'Goodwood Days' is 105 dB at 2/3 max RPM.  My 3000ME usually records about 99dB and it's not a particularly load car.  A track day at Castle Combe was proposed a couple of years ago but the limit is 95dB which ruled out a lot of the potential participants.  95 dB is quite a common limit at circuits on non-race days.

GSouthee

• Climate warming bring it on, save heating.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2023, 18:01:06 »
Clearly you are misinformed the Castle coombe website states 100db see link.

Brands Hatch is 105 or 102db see link.

Lydden hill is 100db see link

Even the clubs precious goodwood has a 98 and 105db days.

I wont go on with others but most are 100db or more.

Someone needs to do their research instead of dismissing the idea on 'exhaust noise' may be a problem!!!!

If the club does not want to do a track day just say so instead of coming up with misinformed  and incorrect information.

I have no problem with Drag racing done it many times in the past, but it is not really driving.

Maybe the Council need to rethink and make some enquiries.

Apology being looked forward to.

https://castlecombecircuit.co.uk/car-track-days

https://www.trackdays.co.uk/tracks/brands-hatch/

https://lyddenhill.co.uk/trackdays/cars/
A car is only original once, but, you can modify it as many times as you like.

My car my rules.

administrator

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2023, 09:53:15 »
Apologies - my memory was faulty.  The limit was quoted at 100 dB and the info is in the Feb 2018 ACtion and later issues.  Regardles of that, there was so little support that it did not take place.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2023, 10:16:31 by administrator »

DGoose

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2023, 17:31:17 »
Hi Gary,

The last track day proposed by a member didn't get sufficient support to proceed unfortunately, times may have changed and it may be worth another go if we can find an organiser ?

Watch out for the next ACtion, details and dates for the Santa Pod which is RWYB so not expensive to enter and no Motor Sport UK hoops to jump through as far as clothing and licence.You may need a crash helmet and arm restraints dependant on type of car and as you say, no cost liability to the club.
Importantly this day can be structured as a competitive event with officially timed runs so we can still award our Sprint trophies, sadly a track day wouldn't enable us to do that.

Provided we get ten cars or more (competitors and spectators) we can have a dedicated area for the ACOC, if you need more info before your magazine arrives ping me a message and I look forward to seeing you and the "Ol Girl" in October if not before.

All the best,

David

terry3000me

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2023, 15:12:55 »
I am sure the Club would love to run a track day. Is there anyone prepared to put their hand-up as organiser? Are there sufficient members interested in taking part?

dfh

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2023, 20:07:51 »
I'd be happy to help with arrangements if there was sufficient interest. While I think the Santa Pod is a fun idea and I would have done it, sadly the date clashes and I cant attend. I don't think its a patch on a proper driving day on a track personally, and would gladly forgo the trophies for the experience of being there with similar cars owned by respectful drivers. Would expect we need a poll or something to record interest and dates etc, but I agree lets start here and see how many might be keen for a track day?