Author Topic: A few links for Xmas!  (Read 3778 times)

hawk289

• View Profile
A few links for Xmas!
« on: December 30, 2010, 08:39:48 »
Hi,

Over the years like Keith, I have been looking up the race history of my Daimler SP250. This has shown many great pictures. As my car raced in many races with Ac's I thought the following may help. Sorry if you have seen them before!

http://www.barcboys.com/

The above site has most of the SCCA photo's

http://www.racingsportscars.com/make/A.C._.html

You can also find specific driver's example below (Duncan Raced my Daimler over the years)

http://www.racingsportscars.com/driver/Duncan-Black-USA.html

Then click on photo's or results.

Now for the third and final link, one of my friends in the VSCCA has uploaded some racing video's into youtube, so if you search for SCCA 1960, 1961, 1962 you will find some great video's

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=scca+1959&aq=f
   http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=scca+1960&aq=f
   http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=scca+1961&aq=f

This will show some really interesting stuff, example below

Go to

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9PlcdfpBIk

Then look from 1:01 on the time, you will see in a few seconds a number 4 Daimler SP250, this is my car chasing another car. Great.

Anyway, just some good links. Now some other interesting information, the AC Bristol won the EP class in SCCA racing and then got moved to the CP class which it won. My Daimler was the only other car to win the EP class like the AC and then win the CP class.

John.

pls01

• View Profile
A few links for Xmas!
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 03:00:56 »
John,
   Thanks for the links.  My car is listed in the results for 1961 Thompson and Limerock races.
   Peter

bex316

• View Profile
    • BEX316
A few links for Xmas!
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 10:24:41 »
ACtually until a few days ago this information was not yet linked to BEX 375, stating Chassis Ace-Stanwicks# instead.

Jerry

hawk289

• View Profile
A few links for Xmas!
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 10:42:14 »
Jerry,

I know the people who run the website, they are trying to link actual cars to photo's. I know this is something they have been doing for a few months.

Peter, assuming your car race in the CP class in 1961, then your car and mine would have raced together.

Some other information more specific to the Washington areas. A group of SCCA folk created a racing group called "Lavender Hill Mob", Duncan who drove my car was a member. Very famous in the area. See article - http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1133363/index.htm

They had a reunion in 2008 but I could not attend as I went to the Le Mans Classic. Steve Lloyd who is the Historian for the Washington DC SCCA area ran a number of DVD's they were cut from 60's racing footage.

John.

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
A few links for Xmas!
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 10:48:21 »
Jerry, John & Peter

We all seem to be chasing the Racing History of our ACs ( plus one Daimler 250)

Please find attached copy of recent emails with  Martin Krejci of  Racing Sports Cars , as we all appreciate most of the people who really can help are enthusiasts like you and I.
   Too save overloading Martin, I have copied this email to Tony Bancroft & Tim Isles who both have lots of racing results, the Idea being that 1950s & 1960s results can be supplied & published without too much inconvenience  to Martin, which hopefully in turn leads to Others contributing more data over the next year or so ...[:p]
   Maybe just maybe we learn more on our Aces and Possibly re-establish contact with some of the Aces that have slipped off  the radar.

Please find Martins email below.

Keith..[:)]

Hello Keith,

Thank you for the link and for your interest. I have added some race results I found there, including the Abbotsford races. The one result I have had before from Shelton was also confirmed by you to be this car.

Maybe I will add more races in the future as I have the results. For me it is always more effective to add full results for a particular race meeting than to add car by car throughout races the individually. I tried to add some listed in a tabular form but generally it is very time consuming and  I could spent months over the AC forum, I think ƒº.

I have now got another update of AC chassis number from another owner, so it is nice and I hope to be able to add more AC-Bristol chassis in the future, as well as to collect more complete race results. Unfortunately, since the mid-60s the coverage of lower classes is reduced on my website as the car started to disappear from the major races and to follow various Sprites, old Triumphs, Abarths, etc. in all depth into the 70s would be impossible for me alone. I hope the scope of the website is satisfactory for the ACOC Members despite these limitations (also rallies and hillclimbs are excluded from the listings).

Best regards & Happy New Year.

Martin

Martin Krejci
   Racing Sports Cars - chief editor, photographer, programming services
Health and Beauty Systems - product consultancy and distribution
   Certified Aloe Vera Gel, Colostrum, Reishi & many more

This will be a long term project, but if we all pull together it should proove mutually benificial ..  Keith .. [;)]

hawk289

• View Profile
A few links for Xmas!
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 12:09:29 »
Keith,

Well done, the information on the web really helped me. I hope more a more pictures / information turns up.

John.

pls01

• View Profile
A few links for Xmas!
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 21:55:40 »
John

My car was raced in CP also so it does seem they raced together.  My car had the results:

Lime Rock July 1 1961 Race 4 6th overall and 6th in CP

Thompson Sept 4 1961 Race 4 20th overall and 4th in CP

While I was still very young when my father raced at Thompson, I have memories of a narrow track that had few spectator views, just one set of wood bleachers on the front straight.  I believe Jim Hayes designed and built it.  It seemed he took a bulldozer through the woods and had a paver follow it.

The original Thompson track closed somewhere about maybe 1966.  Another Thompson sports car track was built using part of a nearby stock car oval.  This sports car track also closed.  Only the stock car oval is still operating.

I was out there about 10 years ago and parts of the old tracks can still be found.  Brings back memories....
   Peter

hawk289

• View Profile
A few links for Xmas!
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 22:26:43 »
Peter,

You are correct my car and yours raced at the same time. Duncan raced from 1953 until he stopped in 1964. The guy I bought the car off told me that Duncan really did not want to sell, but in the end did sell the car.

The track I really want to visit is the Marlboro raceway, Duncan really liked this track. I spoke to a Morgan owner and he said Duncan was really hard at Marlboro. He explained that he drove the car unbalanced into corners on purpose!

I asked what he meant and he said that when he went into a corner is aimed to have the back end come out but then controlled the power on. He found he got more grip. I would have really liked to see this in action.

The bit that really surprised me he got the car off the boat in 1960 [standard form] which was producing around 140BHP and ran a 4min lap at Sebring which was quick. My engine guy said the work that was done on the engine would have produced another 60-80BHP, so at best around 200-220BHP the cam profile showed the engine would rev well over 7000 RPM. My engine has been rebuilt to the same spec and my max power is at 6700RPM at the moment, which sounds great on a V8. I can get more, but need to run in first, so limited revs.

After all his work we have replicated the detail and changes and the car is stiff and has had three rear axles, if you look at 1961 he had many DNF's due to rear brake issues. So my car has the original MGA / LSD axle that he changed in 1961. Again this is a real improvement.

I have written up a full brief on the car and also the restoration details. We must not forget we are owning some special history in the cars we own and keeping it safe and well documented is important.

John