Author Topic: V8 Ace for sale @ Coys, 7th December `10.  (Read 2573 times)

nikbj68

• View Profile
V8 Ace for sale @ Coys, 7th December `10.
« on: November 26, 2010, 19:49:14 »
AEX1079 is coming up for sale at the Coys 'True Greats' sale at The Royal Horticultural Halls, Elverton Street, Westminster. on December the 7th.
   Click pic to go to the Coys online catalogue entry:

The description from the catalog:

"This magnificent example is unquestionably the finest that we have offered in recent times.  This car was originally Bristol powered but in 1965 first owner Bob Johnson fitted the car with a 289 HiPo Ford engine and transmission reportedly from a Cobra. The engine is date coded 4A10 (January 1964) and is a genuine HiPo unit.

The installation is identical to the Cobra including the rare motor mounts and was not butchered in any way, with great pains taken to retain originality throughout. It passed in 1968 to its second owner Richard Neary; the car was used regularly and in 1999 a restoration was undertaken which took over 3 years and consisted of a re built engine by Heyad Racing using only the finest components.

The engine breathes through a Cobra 4 barrel mid rise intake manifold with a Holley 4150 650cfm carburettor; a Cobra aluminium oil pan and aluminium bell housing with ceramic coated headers were fitted along with a custom-made stainless steel exhaust. The Borg Warner close ratio T10 gearbox was rebuilt by Fred Kravics at Trans Torque along with the differential. To haul the car to a stop the brakes were completely rebuilt with all new hydraulic parts.

We are informed by the owner that the aluminium body has no collision damage and no signs of corrosion; it features the rare curved windscreen. Finished in Tobacco metallic with the interior finished in dark brown hide, we are informed that the car is developing a beautiful patina. Said to be in very good condition throughout, this car is supplied with a US Certificate of Title and EU Taxes paid documentation.

Originally a Bristol powered chassis; as all early Cobras were, AEX1079 is surely one of the finest AC Ace’s to be offered to the market today with a unique and desirable period upgrade that resembles as closely as possible the legendary Cobra; this Ace represents an unmissable opportunity.
"

Being an 'AEX' chassis number, wouldn`t this have originally been an AC-engined Ace? Whatever... it looks rather fetching in metallic brown, although a joke about polish & glitter springs inappropriately to mind!!! [:o)]

SBB

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2010, 00:19:27 »
I hope that whoever wrote this spiel in the catalogue reads this and wins either one of two prizes. Firstly the poet laureate of 2010 or, secondly, for the biggest load of cr.p of 2010. Who is the total idiot who wrote this? To say all early Cobras were originally Bristol powered shows absolute crass ignorance. AEX 1079 is a late AC engined car which left the factory on 29 May 1979. And, to say one of the finest "Ace's" and in print... what does that mean? Its colour, condition,etc? Or is this another ignorant use of saying apple's are for sale. I know, it's just a plural; he means "Aces". I think's im right.

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2010, 11:32:04 »
quote:
Originally posted by SBB

I hope that whoever wrote this spiel in the catalogue reads this and wins either one of two prizes. Firstly the poet laureate of 2010 or, secondly, for the biggest load of cr.p of 2010. Who is the total idiot who wrote this? To say all early Cobras were originally Bristol powered shows absolute crass ignorance. AEX 1079 is a late AC engined car which left the factory on 29 May 1979. And, to say one of the finest "Ace's" and in print... what does that mean? Its colour, condition,etc? Or is this another ignorant use of saying apple's are for sale. I know, it's just a plural; he means "Aces". I think's im right.

Simon

Poetic Licence and trade Discriptions spring to mind

Any body planning to bid  ££££ss  for this AC Ace will hopefully check out facts first and soon learn that AEX1079 left Thames Ditton  on 25th May 1959. fitted with a AC CLB engine number CLB2416 and was painted white and fitted out with Black leather interior destined for N Fisher in  LA, USA.

During it's history it was repainted green and retained a black interior, then  sometime later was resprayed and retrimmed as described in the written diatribe of COYS.

GOOD NEWS [;)].... It's another AC Ace that has survived 50 years and has given various custodians and there friends years of enjoyment, lets hope the next custodian gets as much enjoyment from AEX1079 as you and I have from our AC's over the past unpteen years.

Keith

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2010, 12:00:44 »
quote:
Originally posted by SBB...to say one of the finest "Ace's" and in print... what does that mean?...I know, it's just a plural; he means "Aces". I think's im right.
There`s a Kennel near to my father which has a sign outside proudly proclaiming: "DOG`S FOR REHOUSING." And every time I drive past I think "Is it? Well I`m in favour of that too."

I was going to point out that it was a VERY late Ace, leaving the factory in 1979, but Keith beat me to it! [:o)]