Author Topic: AC Frua Restoration Part 2  (Read 83214 times)

Emmanueld

• View Profile
AC Frua Restoration Part 2
« Reply #165 on: February 20, 2014, 19:52:58 »
Yes I installed stock AC MKIII front sway bar sourced from Kirkham, bolted right on with one caveat. My car being a later model did not have the brackets needed on the front control arms. Kirkham supplied those as well and welding was needed. Jeffrey's car which is an earlier car came with the brackets from the factory. Did not install a rear sway bar yet because the stock MKIII will not fit. There is a lot less room in the diff opening than on the MKIII. A custom made bar will have to be made up!

Emmanuel[:)]

Emmanueld

• View Profile
« Reply #166 on: February 26, 2014, 01:52:23 »
The brake pads are Porterfield.

Emmanueld

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: February 27, 2014, 04:52:13 »
A few more photos of the rear and front suspension:

[/URL]
   [/URL]
   [/URL]
   [/URL]
   [/URL]
   [/URL]
   [/URL]
   [/URL]
   [/URL]
   [/URL]

We also trued the hubs to make sure each hub disk assembly is absolutely straight. I was told its essential to do this every time the hubs are separated from the disks. The front hubs are new and the original ones will go in the wood crate where I will store all the original parts.
   Once the car is finished, I will install the correct heads on the original 428 engine which were mismatched when I bought the car. it will be placed in an engine crate that I have in my storage.

If some photos look funny it's because I inadvertently turned on the feature part of my phone camera. Of course, not all bolts are on or secured yet! Shortly I will post some finished pictures of the insulation around the foot boxes. No more heat in the cabin I hope!

Emmanueld

• View Profile
« Reply #168 on: March 20, 2014, 15:55:59 »
Main battery cable, one thing that puzzled me was the main battery cable which is a heavy gauge and travels from the boot all the way to the starter solenoid on the right foot box. The cable needs to be heavy gauge and can't be fused. So after looking at many alternatives I picked an aircraft cable which is both very light and triple insulated with the highest rating for both amperage and abrasion resistance. If this cable ever grounds it's a fire or a battery explosion for sure, so picking a high quality one is a must.

Classicus

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: March 20, 2014, 18:17:40 »
No expert but as the fuel tank is in the boot as well wouldn't it be safer to put the battery up front in the engine compartment instead ?

Emmanueld

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: March 21, 2014, 15:39:14 »
Yes,  Paul you  are right, in this case the battery is very low in the boot and the petrol tank is forward above with floor board separating the two. In the coupe however, each tanks is on the side wings. one of them next to the battery with a large pipe right in front of the rear bumper acting as an equalizer. Not the safest system. But these are cars designed in the 60's and not much concern was given to safety then.

Beautiful nevertheless!

Classicus

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: March 21, 2014, 20:12:41 »
Well in the sole interests of preservation of driver and car and leaving aside today’s much stricter road safety legal requirements, and assuming that there’s say only about 30/35 or so coupes left out of the 43 traced, where would be the best and safest place to put the battery ? [:)]

Emmanueld

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: March 24, 2014, 21:25:01 »
Paul, I think the battery is probably in the best place, for optimal balance. I think a better physical separation between tank and battery would have been the solution like a bulkhead in the convertible and truly separated tanks in the coupe with a selector switch like Jaguar Xj6 and 12. I have more photos to post, like the insulation around the foot boxes and the firewall done using very light aircraft heat shield materials to replace the original asbestos materials which were grossly ineffective and dangerous. The car should be quieter and most of all cooler inside. I am currently traveling until this weekend and will post them when I return.

Emmanueld

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: March 31, 2014, 03:09:48 »
Here are some more Photos of the car. Some are dark!

Differential and Control arms:
   [/URL]

Engine Compartment Insulation:
   [/URL]
   [/URL]
   [/URL]

Gas Tank with new foam insulation:
   [/URL]

Interior Insulation:
   [/URL]

This should keep it cool!

Emmanueld

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 04, 2014, 23:42:16 »
I forgot this photo:

[/URL]

jbottini

• View Profile
« Reply #175 on: April 05, 2014, 03:13:52 »
What ever entity AC is should want this on their literature and in showroom when back together!

J Jones

• View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 07, 2014, 02:52:48 »
Emmanuel - your persistence ia truly admirable. CFX54 will be - hands down - the best 428 ever!
   Absolutely gorgeous!
   Here's hoping it goes as good as it looks! (and I don't doubt it will)
   I'm looking forward to seeing it in person (lucky me!)

Emmanueld

• View Profile
« Reply #177 on: March 20, 2015, 03:42:15 »
I am happy to report that my car is about 75% done, engine, transmission, suspensions and brakes are installed. Wiring loom is being fitted. Starting up will be within the next couple of weeks.

Finally!

Emmanuel [:)]

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #178 on: March 20, 2015, 09:20:42 »

Emmanuel

A very fitting tribute   would be to See and Hear CFX54 Fire up.

Any chance of a Video Link[?][?]...Please....  Many of us who have followed this fascinating restoration are on the wrong side of the Pond and may never see CFX54 in the Flesh.[:p]
   A challenging project that is now coming to fruition, ENJOY !!

Keith..[:)]

Emmanueld

• View Profile
« Reply #179 on: February 22, 2016, 01:23:09 »
Still not fired up but a few nice photos of Jeffrey's car and mine next to each other!

Jeffrey's car original colour:

Quite nice actually! Jeffrey's car is very nice with almost no corrosion! It will be repainted in its original green metallic colour.

As far as mine, We are doing the wiring, it has all been unwrapped and cleaned and we are incorporating the wiring for the MSD system and the electric fan into the loom and it will be wrapped in the correct Lucas tape!

Still waiting for the headers!

Emmanuel [:)]

PS, Here is one other baby fresh out of restoration! My 1972 750 Norton Commando Combat.