Author Topic: AC Frua Restoration Part 2  (Read 83295 times)

Emmanueld

• View Profile
AC Frua Restoration Part 2
« Reply #135 on: December 09, 2011, 15:21:35 »
Jeffrey, I will try but it would have to be ready on time. Also it does not have wire wheels anymore which does not make it 100% original!
   I do have a set of 5 original MK-IV  16" wheels which would make it all AC. By the way, the colour will be as the awesome Jag type D pictured below, it is a very very dark green which is almost black. I once saw a SB Cobra painted as such and it was amazing! 428s look much better in dark shades, my humble opinion.

The car is now straight enough for it.

Emmanuel[:)]

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 10, 2011, 09:52:00 »
Fantastic to see it all in one colour now, and the crispness of the lines I think are perfect. Is the final colour going to be metallic, as this will look awesome in the sunshine!

Emmanueld

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 10, 2011, 18:05:45 »
It will be like the Jag D type above, a very dark green almost black which can be done only if the  body is super straight. The problem with black or very dark glossy colors is that it magnifies  any imperfection. if you want to hide imperfections, paint it white. I think it will be nice!

jbottini

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 10, 2011, 18:22:19 »
beautiful in primer.............should be esquisitite in a dark color

Emmanueld

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 16, 2011, 22:26:00 »
It should be! Next we paint the engine compartment and the boot, then we paint the car and then we will paint underneath I guess in that order! I am getting impatient!

Emmanueld

• View Profile
« Reply #140 on: February 06, 2013, 16:26:52 »
After being on the back burner for over a year, we are now ready to proceed with the final stage. Painting the car exterior, painting the engine compartment, painting the frame and under carriage with a chemical resistant chassis paint and finally reassembly.  As was done before, photos will be posted regularly on the board. Incidentally, I have started collecting motorbikes this last year and have just purchased another proud British product, a 1959 500 Velocette Venom in really nicely preserved condition, love it!

PS At least the primer had a chance to dry! By the way it does not mean you guys should desert the board! it seems a little dead lately[:D]

Emmanueld

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 17, 2013, 18:51:19 »
Car has been given one thin coat of a dark green, (be reassured, it's not the actual color) this way the painter can spot flaws in the body work and correct them before final painting which I hope will take place next week! Does anyone of you has any idea what material I shall use under the hood and trunk lid as insulation?

jbottini

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: February 21, 2013, 17:10:07 »
My hat is off to you.....you are taking this "lady" back to at least "as built" if not better in some respects. A real labor of love of the marque. Beautiful!

Emmanueld

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 05, 2013, 04:04:39 »
Thank you J,

It's been a long process and still quite a few months to go. After the body is painted, we will do the chassis, the engine compartment and the boot.
   Then we will start the process of reassembling everything. The final step will be a trip to the upholstery shop for a new interior.

Emmanueld

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 05, 2013, 04:24:47 »
Hi Guys, I have a bunch of new photos with the final color. Car will be dusted, lightly sanded again and the final coat of clear will be applied. This is a very dark green called "Brooklyn green", needless to say I am happy with the result.

BBK

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 06, 2013, 03:23:01 »
Very nice paint job!  A beautiful car. It will be nice to see it all put together.  The color is similar to the Jaguar British racing green on my Mk IV.

Emmanueld

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 07, 2013, 01:27:56 »
Thank you, but there is still a lot to be done, it seems like it's never ending. The car was originally green and I thought a very dark color would look very nice. However, if the body is not very straight, one can see imperfections so it's a risk. So far so good, I think it looks great.

Emmanuel[:p]

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 07, 2013, 15:29:01 »
Looks Fantastic!

Emmanueld

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 16, 2013, 19:07:32 »
Thank you Gus, the car is now painted, the next step is the installation of 2 small exhaust fans ducked to the side vents which should help reduce under hood heat here in Southern California. After that, we will paint chassis, engine compartment and boot areas. I think this photo shows how straight the body is and this is still prior to the last coat of clear or any buffing:

J Jones

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 17, 2013, 05:58:46 »
Looking good, Emmanuel!
   It's been a long time coming, but it will be worth it!
   Looking forward to seeing it in person!