Author Topic: AC Frua Restoration Part 2  (Read 83292 times)

Emmanueld

• View Profile
AC Frua Restoration Part 2
« Reply #120 on: October 05, 2011, 03:46:47 »
Hi guys, I have some more pictures of my Frua. Currently we are doing the lines, making sure they are straight. Some will be rounded a bit.

Front:

Side:

Rear:

I don't think these corners were meant to be that sharp so they will be dulled somewhat! Feedback appreciated there! Andy, what do you think? I have noticed that some cars have more rounded lines than others, it may be because of an excess of filler, Jeffrey's spare wing has quite sharp angles so I think the original car had relatively sharp lines, feedback appreciated.

Emmanuel[:)]

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 05, 2011, 10:26:12 »
Personally, I like the crisp lines, final paint will mute them slightly, but I wouldn`t take a file or hammer to them if it were my baby...(Oh I wish!)

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 05, 2011, 10:58:10 »
Emmanueld[/b.

Those crisp lines look the dogs bo***x, However laying paint on and keeping the paint on long term could be difficult.

So easy to polish through and very hard to acheive such fine lines should some idiot play dodgems in the car park.

Brilliant thread .[;)]

Keith
..[:)]

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 05, 2011, 12:57:05 »
Good point, Keith, I hadn`t considered 'the waxer`s lament', but you`ve seen my car, so that`s not a surprising ommission!!! [:0]
   As for car parks, I guess you won`t do the weekly shop in her? [;)]
   Just get the paint on & start driving the darned thing!!!!!!

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 05, 2011, 14:08:23 »
Crisp is nice! Leave em. I doubt you will need to be doing very much in the way of polishing and waxing over the next 15 years of it's life anyway! You live in a nice dry climate, no road grime!

BTW, my wife and I will be flying out to LA next week for 5 days of driving the Pacific Coast Highway. Got any good tips for nice scenery or site seeing?

Gus

J Jones

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 05, 2011, 17:54:36 »
Peter Mullins Auto Museum: http://www.mullinautomotivemuseum.com/
   Nethercutt collection: http://nethercuttcollection.org/
   Hearst castle: http://www.hearstcastle.org/
   Petersen museum: http://www.petersen.org/

Thats just a start. PCH is a sight all to itself. The "lost coast" is much further north. Empty, beautiful and not much in the way of places to stay, which is great for the driving experience (nobody there!)
   http://www.takemytrip.com/07orcal/07_13a.htm

This is a good reason to have a beautiful, dependable classic car in the  Western USA.  I took this route on the California Mille Miglia. Heres hoping that we'll have a go at it when the Frua's are finished.

Emmanueld

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 06, 2011, 00:37:54 »
Laguna Beach, Newport Beach, Santa Barbara, Carmel and Monterey! and of course San Francisco if you have the time!

Emmanueld

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 06, 2011, 19:11:07 »
Some more photos! (not in order)

The painter tells me the corners will be dulled a tiny bit to optimize for paint adhesion.

Emmanuel

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 06, 2011, 19:39:14 »
Excellent!! Thanks for the tips!

Gus

Emmanueld

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 07, 2011, 21:01:04 »
Hi guys', I have a question, does anyone know what colour was the underside of the boot, outside? Was it painted body colour or black? We have removed the undercoating and stripped it to bear metal, there was some green but it could have been over-spray! it will be primed and painted as well.

Thanks,

Emmanueld

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 28, 2011, 18:00:02 »
The car is on it's second coat of primer and drying! I have a few more photos mean while.

Side vent being prepped, a slight modification was made to the attachment brackets which were welded to the vent much stronger this way instead of the tiny screws:

Rear inner fender being stripped and primed:

Might as well do it right and make sure corrosion is all gone! some of the welds are patches and some other are probably factory. The holes are for the Waxoil! There is no corrosion above the rear end and I decided to leave that area alone.

Michael Trotter

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 04, 2011, 23:26:44 »
Emmanuel
   Re boot - CF6 rear panel is body colour down to the joint with the boot floor and black forward from there - looks right.
   It sounds like all convertible boot interiors were much the same. Two carpeted plywood panels over the spare wheel and battery compartments and an open trough round the rear and sides. Always seemed to me the least attractive or practical part of the car and I had no hesitation in modifying mine. As its not external I suggest you forget about originality.
   Michael

Emmanueld

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 09, 2011, 02:21:45 »
I will,

Emmanueld

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 09, 2011, 02:28:34 »
Hi guys,

My baby is back and as good as new! It's been over a year. Here are the latest photos of the car primed and ready for painting. I think she looks quite good. We are making new hinges for the hood as the original ones are not repairable.

The lines are quite sharp but I think its the way it is supposed to be! Again, I think many of these  cars have duller lines because of excessive filler and re-paintings. Also, it's amazing how small this car is when it's next to a Cobra, just a tad bigger.

J Jones

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 09, 2011, 04:49:28 »
AC is a featured marque at Pebble Beach Concours this coming August. You've got just enough time to get this baby ready, Emmanuel.

Although I am sure it was not your intention to make a 'show car', it's bound to be the best of the best when it's done!

Why not enter it? Give Jim Feldman some competition!