Author Topic: Ex Derek Hurlock AC 2 Litre Saloon VRM OPG 192 Chassis EL1434  (Read 1234 times)

pczarb

• View Profile
Hello there

My first post so a pleasure to meet everyone!

I've just purchased the ex Derek Hurlock AC 2 Litre that was the works entrant into the 1951 & 1952 RAC Rallies.

I've noticed from other posts that there is uncertainty on matching dates to photographs. Luckily the vehicle came with the original entry pack to the 1951 RAC Rally, photos of which I attach. As such the Entry Number for the 1951 Rally was 146 meaning photos of the car sporting Entry Number 57 are for the 1952 event. Hope that useful!

The vehicle came with a good amount of history but any photos or recollections that members can contribute would be most gratefully received. Would be particularly interested in the back story to the photo taken at Silverstone (last photo but one) and if anyone has a number 146 or 57 RAC Rally Plate from 1951 or 1952 for sale...

There is also mention on this Forum of the vehicle being fitted with an experimental prototype 105 hp Ace engine? Any further info on that would be very gratefully received.

I plan on putting the vehicle through a complete but sympathetic restoration and to entering some non competitive long distance rallies in the future. Let me know if there is any interest in following that. Vehicle as purchased in last photo.

Thank you for your time and looking forward to hearing from you.

Bye for now.

Paul
« Last Edit: January 17, 2023, 10:01:09 by pczarb »

GSouthee

• Climate warming bring it on, save heating.
    • View Profile
Re: Ex Derek Hurlock AC 2 Litre Saloon VRM OPG 192 Chassis EL1434
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2023, 15:42:29 »
Hi Paul

Welcome to the Forum.

Nice car, is that not the one with the independent front suspension?

Looking forward to your resto.

Look forward to seeing out and about.

What area of the country are you.

Cheers and goodluck

Gary
A car is only original once, but, you can modify it as many times as you like.

My car my rules.

pczarb

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2023, 16:39:12 »
Thanks Gary.

On the IFS, yes, one of one.

In terms of location I split my time between Poland, Kenya & UAE.

P

Big col

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2023, 18:31:38 »
Hello Paul,

It’s nice to hear that you intend to use and enjoy the car.

Colin
I might be rough but I’m slow as well.

B.P.Bird

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2023, 23:00:38 »
Paul,
So pleased to see the most famous of the 2 Litre saloons starting a new life.
The pictures of the car at Rest and Be Thankful are very evocative, especially the one at the top hairpin and the one at the start with, I believe, Raymond Baxter in the Irvine flying jacket.
I suppose it would be most unlikely that the car did not receive the best available engine. It will be interesting to see what is revealed when you get it apart. In any event best wishes for an enjoyable journey and some good fun at the end of a lot of hard work. By the bye it doesn't look as though your lifestyle is going to make a long term restoration project quite straightforward
Barrie