Author Topic: Frua Steering Wheel  (Read 9424 times)

Emmanueld

• View Profile
Frua Steering Wheel
« on: November 11, 2010, 01:24:36 »
Just removed the Frua steering wheel and have made the following observations:

When compared to an original Mark III 427 wheel, Hub is the same with shortened skirt. The steering wheel itself is a tad smaller and originally was made to have 5 bolts, it is also more dished.

It was re-drilled to 6 bolts with a spacer added at the front.
   My steering wheel is not signed.

Obviously, it was originally destined to another car and was modified to fit the shortened Cobra hub. An additional ring was fitted to cover the changes!

Emmanuel [:)]

Emmanueld

• View Profile
Frua Steering Wheel
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 14:23:49 »
I went to see my wheel last week and it looks great, they have stripped the finish to bare wood and re-glued a few areas which were separating. The wood is mahogany, so when the finish is applied it will be done to enhance it's reddish color. I have not decided yet whether it will be glossy or satin!

Emmanuel [:)]

nikbj68

• View Profile
Frua Steering Wheel
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 18:46:34 »
SATIN! 1 vote.

lyonheart84

• View Profile
Frua Steering Wheel
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 18:54:54 »
haha glossy for me, 1 vote !

Emmanueld

• View Profile
Frua Steering Wheel
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 17:33:48 »
It will be satin with a reddish mahogany color!

Emmanuel

nikbj68

• View Profile
Frua Steering Wheel
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 23:06:43 »
Good choice! I can`t wait to see the finished results...you`re doing an amazing job Manny!

Emmanueld

• View Profile
Frua Steering Wheel
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011, 08:12:31 »
Thanks, I am trying!

Emmanuel

lyonheart84

• View Profile
Frua Steering Wheel
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2011, 23:01:49 »
You know the more I look at your wheel Emmanuel, the more I think it's an original wheel from a Lamborghini 350GT / 400 GT. The spokes look a slightly different shape to the Frua steering wheels that I have seen ( and the slots smaller also ). The fact that it was drilled differently when new backs up your supposition that it was originally fitted to another make of car. What do you think? In any case it looks lovely and they are all near identical anyway.........

lyonheart84

• View Profile
Frua Steering Wheel
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2011, 23:28:36 »
Actually now I've looked at some photos of the early lamborghini wheels and they don't look as dished as your one so I'm still stumped !

Emmanueld

• View Profile
Frua Steering Wheel
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2011, 18:25:43 »
Hi Brett, You are exactly right, the wheel looks very similar except it is flatter and maybe slightly larger diameter. Could be from the same maker!

http://www.lamborghiniregistry.com/Forums/400GT.php

Emmanuel

Emmanueld

• View Profile
Frua Steering Wheel
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2011, 18:02:54 »
Wheel will be ready at the end of august, I opted for a slight reddish stain which always looks great on mahogany. The finish will be satin. They were able to repair the wood to a flawless condition by filling the cracks and where it separated with a very strong epoxy and keeping it under a press. I saw it last week, it looks better than new. The aluminum will be polished by hand not to change it's shape.

Emmanuel

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
Frua Steering Wheel
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2011, 04:36:45 »
might be too late, but satin for sure!!

Gus

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
Frua Steering Wheel
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2011, 04:37:53 »
Ok,

was too late, but good choice!!

Damn Tanqueray...

Gus

Emmanueld

• View Profile
Frua Steering Wheel
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2011, 01:13:34 »
Hi Guys, the wheel the way it looks now! Same wood, just repaired, aluminium is now satin, so is the varnish! It's actually quite nice, my I-phone photos don't do it justice.

Emmanuel[:)]

Emmanueld

• View Profile
Frua Steering Wheel
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2011, 06:20:06 »
Hi guys, I think Jeffrey has come close to identifying the Frua's steering wheel! what he found is a modified 15.5" sports steering wheel commonly installed on Karmann Ghias in the 60's. The British sourced EMPI GT wood steering wheel. However, that wheel is 1/2" too big, I think the small hub 15" Les Leston mahogany wheel is more like it, since it is the right size an has a 5 hole hub. The EMPI wheel had a 3 holes hub. Whatever company supplied EMPI and Les Leston with their steering wheel likely supplied AC as well!

To install it on the Frua, machine down a Cobra hub and re-drill the wheel for 6 holes to match, you must also have a ring machined for re-enforcement as above. I will be happy to take some measurements for anyone who needs it!

http://images.honesty.com/imagedata/9/8/1/15979981.jpg

Les Leston wheels, check 1/6  of the page down for the two dished 15" wheels! The darker colored one with the Cooper badge is probably not the one ( I changed my mind because of the color), the "5 holes 15" in wood is the one". Looking at CF62 interior photos, the wheel and the color are identical. Most wheels were made by Walsall Steering Wheels LTD:

http://www.team.net/archive/mgs/2004-11/msg00156.html

http://mk1-performance-conversions.co.uk/steering_wheel_archive.htm

It appears the wheel was also installed on Lambos 3500GT. It's amazing what you get from the net these days! Chapter closed.

Emmanuel[:)]